Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Come and Get It, 1936

A lumberjack named Barney Glasgow (Edward Arnold) is eager to make his fortune any way he can. Eventually, this leads to him casting aside his girlfriend Lotta (Frances Farmer) in favor of his boss's daughter, Emma (Mary Nash). Twenty years later, Glasgow is wealthy and by chance discovers that Lotta had a daughter (also called Lotta, and also played by Farmer). Glasgow becomes obsessed with claiming Lotta for himself, except that his son Richard (Joel McCrea) also becomes smitten with her.

I don't know what it is about some films that they kind of end up feeling like work to watch. That's how this one felt.

I think that it largely comes down to just how uncomfortable the whole premise is, and the way that even the likable characters come off as really questionable in certain sequences. Walter Brennan won an Oscar for his role as Swan, the man who married the elder Lotta and the younger Lotta's father. Swan is a fun character . . . except when he gives Glasgow permission to kiss Lotta on the mouth, despite the fact that Lotta is CLEARLY not into it and looks really alarmed at the idea. In fact, the way that a lot of the adults around Lotta seem to ignore Glasgow's very obvious and creepy obsession with her gave the whole film a very off feeling for me. Lotta is so frequently uncomfortable, and I really couldn't tell if the people around her were meant to be oblivious or if they were letting it happen in some terribly gaslighting scenario.

The blooming romance sequences between Lotta and McCrea have kind of a fun but funky energy to them. There's one part where he accuses her of being a gold digger and she slaps him only for him to slap her back and then they stare at each other in stunned silence. An hour later they're pulling taffy together (um, not a euphemism) while he lectures her about the history of paper.

A lot of the film is spent with the elder Glasgow. The film knows that his pursuit of Lotta is wrong, but watching him manipulate her and bully his way to what he wants got kind of old after a while. The whole thing is underscored by the ick factor of a man not only wanting to sleep with someone his own children's age, but specifically the daughter of a woman he was formerly in a relationship with.

Fine, but didn't really click with me on any deep level.

Dog Day Afternoon - 1975

Heard of the movie before. Seen the poster. Never quite knew what it was about. Felt like an older flick the other day. Kind of nice to go into a movie blind. Was not what I was expecting. The first 30 minutes are extremely entertaining as hell. I laughed numerous times. Almost felt like a comedy at times. Throughout the whole movie it really does keep you wondering how this thing is going end. Pacino is a tour de force in this flick. Al in his prime. Everyone felt extremely authentic in this movie. It's funny the cop who is in charge and yelling seemed so familiar, just from his voice and yelling. He was Pappy O'Daniel in O Brother one of my favorite flicks. (Also in Lebowski).

You can see the influence this movie has had on other movies following it. Not sure if it was the first hostage/bank robber movie but it certainly influenced movies to come. Also has some timely social commentary. Unlike today they didn't rub your nose in it, it was just part of the story. It was very enjoyable and I can see why it's such a classic. Suspenseful with heart and the right amount of authentic humor. Attica baby!

Hair below a 4. Like a 3.8.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Pretty bad, even for G.I. Joe standards. Avoid at all costs

'Ace in the Hole' (1951)

A classic. Epic cynicism from Billy Wilder, he pulls no punches with the dialogue. Kirk Douglas is perfect as the gnarly journalist with zero morals. A masterclass in how to make an unlikeable character steal the show without losing the viewer.

Next time someone says 'I just didn't find any of the characters likeable' - show them this film.

9/10

Dune (2021) -

For starters, I love the flawed gem that is David Lynch's version and couldn’t help but compare this adaptation to it in this review. Is it confusing at times and perhaps too strange? Maybe, but the movie inspired me to read the novel and led me to being a lifelong Lynch fan, so it must have done something right. If I was forced to keep only one of these two adaptations on DVD, it would be the Lynch one and not just for sentimental reasons, but I still think the 2021 movie is a very strong adaptation of Frank Herbert's novel (the first half of it, anyway) that I do not love like Lynch's, but that I really, really like.

Dune (2021) continues director Villeneuve's tradition of having captivating visuals and ends up being one of the most incredible looking movies I've ever seen. This applies to the breathtaking vistas with the gargantuan spaceships and hundreds of troops to the intricacies of the hunter seeker dart. Best of all, there is a pleasant physicality to the look and feel in that it's hard to tell where what's real ends and what's CGI begins. While I watched it on HBO Max, I wish I had seen it in a theater instead. The casting and performances are better all-around in this version, especially Chalamet as Paul. While I like MacLachlan's performance just fine, Chalamet bests it, especially since he comes across as much closer to the character's age. I also enjoyed Jason Momoa's work as good friend and loyal soldier Duncan Idaho and Javier Bardem's as Fremen leader Stilgar, especially since we get to see more of his skepticism towards his planet's occupiers. I would have liked for characters like Brolin's Gurney, Bautista's Raban and Skarsgård’s Baron to have done more, but this is not so much a fault of the movie as it is the material it covers. Other touches I appreciate are how the movie depicts Paul's visions and how they're integrated into the story and the fight scenes, which are more traditional and not just because there are no weirding modules (well, I like them) but they make up for it with their expert choreography and those cool shield effects.

Since I've said that this version does things better or just as well as the 1984 one, why do I prefer the latter? Well, it's mostly for a reason why so many people dislike it: Villeneuve's could stand to be stranger. From the 1984 version’s weirding modules to unexplained flourishes like Piter De Vries's hand language and Gurney bringing a pug into battle, Villeneuve's is more workmanlike in comparison. It could be due to it trying harder to keep the audience in the loop at all times, which has the unfortunate side effects of not leaving quite enough up to the audience's imagination and limiting the character's personalities due to the additional exposition. Speaking of exposition, this is something the 1984 version also isn't great at, but it could explain why the book has been such a bear to adapt: how the movie handles world building and explaining all of those weird terms. Despite some improvements - I don't miss the awkward voiceovers - there are still moments that are clunky or that slacken the pace. Again, I like it a lot: it exceeded my expectations, I approve of how it reintroduced this story to another generation and it continues my estimation of Denis Villeneuve being the most exciting feature director working today. I just wish it was weird enough for me to love. To be fair, this is coming from a guy who once had Piter's "mind in motion" speech memorized.

Dog Day Afternoon - 1975

It’s a classic. Seen it a million times.

'Ace in the Hole' (1951)

A classic. Epic cynicism from Billy Wilder, he pulls no punches with the dialogue. Kirk Douglas is perfect as the gnarly journalist with zero morals. A masterclass in how to make an unlikeable character steal the show without losing the viewer.

Next time someone says 'I just didn't find any of the characters likeable' - show them this film.

9/10

Oh, saw this recently and I totally agree. I think I went as high as 4.5, but I agree with what you wrote.

Re-watch. The stripper scenes are ghastly. Matthew McConaughey absolutely dreadful as a stripper. Ugh.

Channing Tatum though is very good so this saved the movie. His relationship with Cody Horn very good too.

I watched Christmas at Cartwright's (2014) today. It's a Hallmark Christmas film about a single mom who meets an angel and gets a job as a department store Santa! I really enjoyed this one. It was cute and charming. Alicia Witt is wonderful in this and Wallace Shawn is great as the angel. T.J. McGibbon is adorable and does a great job as the daughter. I really liked the storyline. One of the better Hallmark Christmas films I have seen lately. My rating is

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Re-watch. Would have thought this movie is below the pay grade of Gere & Hallström, but it’s a sweet true-life movie. Have Kleenex at the ready.

I love Hachi: A Dog's Tale, but I think I cried more while watching that movie than any other movie, (and I'm a crier at movies).

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

By IMPA Awards, [1], Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=28118049

Master and Commander - The Far Side of the World - (2003)

I saw this sometime in the past year, but threw it on while I was busy yesterday so I'd catch bits and it would jog my memory. Heaps of production values, and everything looks terrific - but there's something bland about the characters and the story. It is a film that doesn't stick in the memory - but watch any scene and you'll find yourself admiring it visually a great deal. There's an attempt to be rigorous where it comes to the reality of being patched up by doctors on the sea in the early 19th Century, losing limbs and life - not to mention the hardships on board a vessel like this for long periods of time. I have to say though, Russell Crowe's Jack Aubrey is a bit of a bore - and most of his crew are too - the problem is they have to be, otherwise they wouldn't be a well-functioning battle-ready force to be reckoned with. I certainly don't hate Master and Commander, but it falls into that modern moviemaking trap of concentrating on visuals and accuracy while neglecting storytelling.

6/10
I tried to watch Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World twice this week, but both times I ended up turning it off about 30 to 45 minutes into the movie. I just couldn't seem to get into it. (I've heard good things about this movie, and it's still on my DVR, so I'll probably give it one more try later this week before I give up.)

'Ace in the Hole' (1951)

9/10

I thought this was pretty good on the whole, but I didn't care for how contrived the ending was; I mean...

WARNING: spoilers below
...Chuck gets stabbed in the stomach, and then just walks around all day refusing to get it taken care of, so he can drop dead hours later? I mean, I know that the Hays Code mandated that onscreen wrongdoing had to eventually be punished in some manner, but even that feels a bit forced, don't you think?

Still a good movie besides that quibble, though.

I forgot the opening line.

By IMPAwards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=26113343

An Education - (2009)

Fairly agreeable Best Picture nomination - it doesn't thunder into your soul, and it isn't Lolita, but I always enjoy watching Peter Sarsgaard for some reason. Here, he plays our Humbert Humbert (David) opposite 16-year-old character Jenny (Carey Mulligan) who doesn't really have the experience to realize he's not as cultured or thrilling as he makes himself out to be. Jenny has a pair of very agreeable parents who actually accept David into the family - as taken by him as their daughter is. That quirk makes this a little different than the ordinary film of this nature. Jenny throws it all away to marry David...
WARNING: spoilers below
then finds out he's married, has a kid, and does this sort of thing all the time.
It's okay.

7/10

By The cover art can or could be obtained from http://www.impawards.com/2009/avatar.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=23732044

I remember seeing this at the cinema, really enjoying it, buying it on DVD, and then completely dismissing it for some reason. Watching it again, I'm struck by just how thrilling the action sequences at the end are - Cameron could still put it together. This gets a high rating from me, despite it's story feeling ever so derivative and worn out, because the fireworks really woke me up and invigorated me despite all of that. They even helped invest me in the mediocre story again. Anyone who kind of liked this but hasn't seen it for years should give it another go (and don't turn it off after the first 20 minutes - stick it out.) But we don't need the sequels though. It's too late for that.

8/10

By The poster art can or could be obtained from United ArtistsMGM Home Entertainment., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1102257

Hotel Rwanda - (2004)

I hope this shows up on the 2000s top 100 later on in December because I really like it, and think it's an honest and well told story that introduces what went on during the Rwanda Genocide in the 1990s and gets us involved in a personal way with it's characters. The film does this so well in an intimate manner, and Don Cheadle gets a rare chance to really showcase his talents. I've never seen Nick Nolte as vulnerable as he is as a U.N. Colonel who can do so little to help people who are on the verge of being chopped up alive. Keeps you on edge - and it doesn't need to shock you with blood and body parts, though there is one scene with a particularly bumpy road that disturbs. Paul Rusesbagina is the kind of real life character that simply doesn't have it in him to just look out for himself, or even just his family - he takes it on to try and help everybody. Great small roles for Joaquin Phoenix and Jean Reno just add to my enjoyment.

8.5/10

By http://attach3.bdwm.net/attach/board...2220776342.jpg, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=43826628

Whiplash - (2014)

Me seeing this was overdue - it grabbed me by the throat and wouldn't let go until the credits were rolling. Being in J.K. Simmons' band feels somewhat akin to storming the Normandy beaches ala Saving Private Ryan. I went into it cold, having known for a long while that I'd probably love it, but still saved watching it until just the right moment. Going for too many war analogies I know, but Fletcher reminds me a bit of George Patton. I've had three solid new 10s this year, and although this is probably also one in the end (along with Woman in the Dunes) I'm just gonna give it time, because I don't want to hand out so many all at once.

9.5/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I remember seeing this at the cinema, really enjoying it, buying it on DVD, and then completely dismissing it for some reason. Watching it again, I'm struck by just how thrilling the action sequences at the end are - Cameron could still put it together. This gets a high rating from me, despite it's story feeling ever so derivative and worn out, because the fireworks really woke me up and invigorated me despite all of that. They even helped invest me in the mediocre story again. Anyone who kind of liked this but hasn't seen it for years should give it another go (and don't turn it off after the first 20 minutes - stick it out.) But we don't need the sequels though. It's too late for that.

8/10

9.5/10
they making 4 more of avatar movies
2028 Avatar 5
2026 Avatar 4
2024 Avatar 3
2022 Avatar 2

I forgot the opening line.
they making 4 more of avatar movies
2028 Avatar 5
2026 Avatar 4
2024 Avatar 3
2022 Avatar 2
Aaaah, but if nobody goes to see Avatar 2, then Avatar 3 could possibly be cancelled. Unless they make them all at the same time.

Aaaah, but if nobody goes to see Avatar 2, then Avatar 3 could possibly be cancelled. Unless they make them all at the same time.
they deff will see it cause i been told its one of the best fantasy movies. well i know it took few yrs to make first avatar