The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The trick is not minding
In Bruges is excellent...except for the body shaming part, i.e. the scene with the American tourists. I get that Ray is a bad and angry dude and he pays for his prejudices later, but it seems overly mean and it made the movie age poorly.
Body shaming isn’t going anywhere, unfortunately, so “aging poorly” isn’t quite the right word for it.

It fits in the movie in regards to Ray’s personality, as you mentioned, even if it was done for cheap laughs.

Body shaming isn’t going anywhere, unfortunately, so “aging poorly” isn’t quite the right word for it.

It fits in the movie in regards to Ray’s personality, as you mentioned, even if it was done for cheap laughs.
Hard disagree. I believe there is enough comedy to mine and enough to develop Ray's personality from the tourists being ugly Americans. Adding body shaming to the mix is unnecessarily mean as well as cheap, especially since the movie does it in a way that encourages the audience to laugh at the tourists for being heavy.

Collateral was #18 on my ballot. Here is what I wrote:
Assassin Vincent has established philosophy which he shares with taxi driver Max when they are alone. Max has a dream of an island- an escape he has done nothing to make it a reality. By the end of the night Vincent's views prompt Max to find a way out of dangerous situation as well as upset the stalemate of his life.

The trick is not minding
Hard disagree. I believe there is enough comedy to mine and enough to develop Ray's personality from the tourists being ugly Americans. Adding body shaming to the mix is unnecessarily mean as well as cheap.
It is cheap, but it’s something I can look past because it’s absolutely something people will and still do. I give these things a pass because it’s A: a movie and not an actual representation of that actors actual thoughts, and B: representative of an actual thought by a lot of people. It’s like portraying racism, sexism, ageism and what not. As long as it fits in with the story, and the character portrayed, of course.
I don’t demand movies meet my moral or ethical obligations, after all.

Hey, be glad they want the hugs!

I got up early yesterday morning to get to a testing site before it opened, but like 150 other people had the same idea. It was a 3.5 hour experience altogether (25 minutes to the hospital, 2.75 hours in line, 25 minutes to drive home). But they did process my test quickly and I got the results this morning. The line of cars was SO LONG. Over a mile.
I spent about 2 hours in line, but the swab obviously took less than 3 minutes Fortunately the lab is pretty much next to where I live.

Also, I already received the results in my email: NEGATIVE, baby!

Thanks Tak, can I ask why you would think I might enjoy Collateral?
It's a solid, well-written thriller with strong performances. It's not excessively violent. It's funny and thrilling and has good action sequences. I've never talked to anyone who didn't at least like it. I think my whole family watched it one Christmas together.

It's a solid, well-written thriller with strong performances. It's not excessively violent. It's funny and thrilling and has good action sequences. I've never talked to anyone who didn't at least like it. I think my whole family watched it one Christmas together.
Thanks for the explanation...and it has Tom Cruise too. I might be the only MoFo who actually likes Cruise in a movie. Who knows I might see it if it gets nominated in an HoF.

It is cheap, but it’s something I can look past because it’s absolutely something people will and still do. I give these things a pass because it’s A: a movie and not an actual representation of that actors actual thoughts, and B: representative of an actual thought by a lot of people. It’s like portraying racism, sexism, ageism and what not. As long as it fits in with the story, and the character portrayed, of course.
I don’t demand movies meet my moral or ethical obligations, after all.
I added more to my post after you replied. In short, I guess what really bothers me is that the movie expects the audience to laugh at the tourists for being overweight as well. I'm also not against movies portraying the taboos you mention, but I think In Bruges handles this one clumsily.

The trick is not minding
I added more to my post after you replied. In short, I guess what really bothers me is that the movie expects the audience to laugh at the tourists for being overweight as well. I'm also not against movies portraying the taboos you mention, but I think In Bruges handles this one clumsily.
Fair enough.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
In Bruges - heard it for the first time about a year ago and saw it soon after that. It was not bad movie but somehow faded away in my mind. I can rate it 4.00/5 but this is not fully enough for the top films of the decade (the rating should be 4.25 at least).

• I've never considered to watch Collateral.

Seen 23/46.
--
My list:
#4. Snatch [#71.]
#9. Amores perros [#81.]
#14. The Man Who Wasn't There [#84.]

--
(seen one pointers 3/38)

Not on my ballot Top 100 movies I'd support:  

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again

For whatever it's worth at this point, I took the exchange to show how tactless and young the character is, reinforcing the reason he's in Bruges to begin with---partly because of his impulsive, poor decision-making skills drawing unnecessary attention to himself. He's an idiotic, rude child. He's quick-witted, but that's not going to serve him well in his line of work. Not if he can't control and know when to use it and when not to.

That's all I'll add to keep on topic to the countdown.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Even though I didn't think V for Vendetta was my type of movie, I watched it for this countdown because I thought it had a chance to make the countdown. While I was right that it wasn't my type of movie, the good news is that I didn't dislike it. It was a little too dark and violent for my taste, but it wasn't bad. (And it did make me want to watch The Count of Monte Cristo.)
me too, every time I watch it. lol

Thanks for the explanation...and it has Tom Cruise too. I might be the only MoFo who actually likes Cruise in a movie. Who knows I might see it if it gets nominated in an HoF.
*taking notes for future HoF*

If you like Cruise, I would definitely recommend it. It really cleverly uses his natural charisma as a mask for someone who is a total sociopath, and Cruise does a great job of letting that mask come on and off as needed.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

With all the overly rampant political correctness going on when In Bruges came out, I did find myself laughing my American fat-@ss off in so many scenes. Making a solid counterbalance to the storyline and relationship between Farrell and Gleeson and the real reason they were in Bruges, to begin with, makes, for me, a very satisfying multi-layered film of hitmen sight-seeing.

I have and do enjoy lil Tommy when it comes to action films, and Mann follows in the grittier style of Heat, with Tom's peppered hitman running down a checklist while using Fox as a very unwilling chauffeur to get him to each of them.
Not a favorite but one I do very much appreciate.

Films Watched 32 out of 46 (69.56%)
9. V for Vendetta (#58)
14. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (#76)
17. Mother (#96)
25. A Bittersweet Life (One Pointer)

One Pointers: 10 out of 38 (26.31%)

*taking notes for future HoF*

If you like Cruise, I would definitely recommend it. It really cleverly uses his natural charisma as a mask for someone who is a total sociopath, and Cruise does a great job of letting that mask come on and off as needed.
I was just going to say that I like Cruise in his movies as I find him to be usually relatable. Then I read the part where you said he plays a sociopath. So no, not real relatable for me

But that does make the film sound more intriguing, as I do like films about sociopaths as long as they aren't really violent.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
No one does shooting scenes like Micheal Mann.

"Hey Homie is that my briefcase"..........BANG BANG....... BANG BANG BANG (shots echo around the tall buildings).........BANG. All in about 1.2 seconds.

A system of cells interlinked
I like Cruise! The MI films are some of my favorite action flicks, I like The Firm, Risky Business, Edge of Tomorrow, and I think I might be the only guy on the site that likes Oblivion.

I like Cruise! The MI films are some of my favorite action flicks, I like The Firm, Risky Business, Edge of Tomorrow, and I think I might be the only guy on the site that likes Oblivion.
I like Oblivion.

And in general I like Cruise. Love when he does risky roles but he’s also great as the classic action hero. Big fan of the MI franchise too. Can’t wait for the next ones…

I haven't seen either of the last two. They've been available many times, I've considered watching them many times, but I've always ended up watching something else. Maybe that'll change one day?