Texas Chainsaw Massacre Reboot

Tools    

I didn't mind Heather's age as I am not immune to the charms of Alexandra Daddario, but I also don't get too fussed about continuity in these cases.

TBH I think the horror of the original is a little too specific to make it easy material for good sequels, so not entirely surprised there have been so few well liked entries in the series.

I think a better franchise to revive would be the Friday the 13th series, but I understand the rights situation is a mess. A simpler concept and easier to riff on, IMO.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
I think a better franchise to revive would be the Friday the 13th series, but I understand the rights situation is a mess. A simpler concept and easier to riff on, IMO.
Well, here's the situation with Friday....Victor Miller was given the rights only of the original film, but doesn't own the rights to the adult Jason Voorhees. This is where the mess lies. Sean Cunningham did post an appeal but later withdrew it for technical reasons. Miller only owns the original film's rights but he does want to get involved with a new installment or reboot but it all lies with the rights of adult Jason from what I read.

There was a similar case with Child's Play. MGM only owned the rights to the original film so they were allowed to remake it, which they did. They did ask creator Don Mancini, who hated the concept and flat out refused. With Universal having the rights to all the sequels, this allowed Mancini to continue with the upcoming series Chucky after all the film sequels.

The film will be simply called Texas Chainsaw Massacre and it is naturally given an R-Rating.

February 18, 2022 will be the date Netflix premieres Texas Chainsaw Massacre with two new images from Entertainment Weekly:

Fede Alvarez explains the "Old Man Leatherface" route:
"It's basically the same character, who is still alive. Our take on it was this guy probably disappeared after everything he's done. You know, how do you catch a guy who has a mask? Once he removes the mask and runs away, it's very easy for him to hide somewhere. This story will pick it up many, many years after the original story. He's been in hiding for a long, long time, trying to be a good person. These people arriving in this town are going to awaken the giant."

I personally didn't like the original and thought it was boring. It just didn't have much of a story or a plot.
Yeah, pretty much; I mean, I did think it was a good enough movie on the whole due to how well Tobe directed it in general, but the fundamental experience just don't have enough going on for it to be a truly great movie. I mean, there's only so much worthwhile material you can get out of a movie where the second half is literally nothing but watching a single character just being chased around and tortured the whole time, you know?

Mark Burnham as Leatherface in the new film, which comes out on February 18, 2022.

John Larroquette is returning to do the film's opening narration, like he did with the 1974 original and the 2003 reboot

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I don't understand how you can make a sequel to the original. All Sally had to do after the original was, along with the truckdriver witness, call the police give statements, and the police and feds would be out there and find the crimes. The villains could have covered it up, but I don't think they would have been successful, but maybe it could work.

Welcome to the human race...
What's not to understand about "they left the house and went on the run"?

I don't understand how you can make a sequel to the original. All Sally had to do after the original was, along with the truckdriver witness, call the police give statements, and the police and feds would be out there and find the crimes. The villains could have covered it up, but I don't think they would have been successful, but maybe it could work.
They tried that with the 2013 reboot (with Sheriff Hooper offering to give Leatherface a fair trial for his surrender), but Hartman and his gang killed all the Sawyers except for Leatherface....I'm guessing for this new one which retcons all the previous sequels and reboots, events happened where Leatherface decides to leave everything behind and live a quiet life in Harlow until the social media influencers come and attempt to turn the place as a tourist destination.

Saw it earlier tonight (in a probably ill-advised double-bill with the original) and...it's bad.

Obviously, the inclusion of Sally Hardesty invites inevitable comparisons to the recent Halloween movies and there's something to be said not just about how derivative this concept is but just how perfunctory it is in the grand scheme of things. Obviously, more weight in given to a whole new group of young people, but man is it getting embarrassing how modern horror feels like it has something to say but says it in the clunkiest way possible (with the plot here involving woke millennials and zoomers stirring up trouble because they're trying to gentrify the ghost town where Leatherface is living peacefully). Thankfully, it's short enough and there are some sufficiently decent moments of violence or tension, but it seems perpetually indecisive as to how much it wants to capture the scarier aspects of the original or the absurdity of Hooper's Part II (the latter of which was better at balancing the two). In any case, congrats for making a TCSM movie that involves Teslas and TikTok, I guess.

The trick is not minding
Saw it earlier tonight (in a probably ill-advised double-bill with the original) and...it's bad.

Did you watch this at theatres? I love when they show older films, but a double bill with the original probably isn’t the best idea, since so many Homs it such high esteem that any remake would be seen as lacking in comparison.

Nah, I watched both at home - the new one is being released straight to Netflix, after all. In any case, I've seen almost every other TCSM film (haven't seen Texas Chainsaw 3D yet) and, aside from Hooper's goofy Cannon-funded Part II, I've found that the rest of them range from meh at best to torturous at worst so I had adjusted my expectations accordingly anyway, but still...

I've read many reviews and the general consensus is you're either going to like it or hate it. I personally liked it, but I wished they had given a certain character more screen time and things to do. Most agree the "bus scene" is the highlight of the film and Mark Burnham did a good job as the new Leatherface, replacing the late Gunnar Hansen. Olwen Fouere made the most of her screen time as Sally. Elsie Fisher was also great as Lila, the PTSD-stricken younger sister of one of the entrepreneurs.

The film was the 2nd watched Netflix movie in its opening weekend.

Yeah, pretty much; I mean, I did think it was a good enough movie on the whole due to how well Tobe directed it in general, but the fundamental experience just don't have enough going on for it to be a truly great movie; I mean, there's only so much worthwhile material you can get out of a movie where the second half is literally nothing but watching a single character just being chased around and tortured the whole time, you know?

The first half establishes the mundane beginning of the day, and the slow intrusions of the strange and disturbing. Essential when it comes to providing us a contrast with what happens later.

The second half is a film which is about depicting tonally, visually and aurally the kind of nightmare this girl has got herself into.

This is all it needs. It dares to be pure cinema because it understands stripping the film down to this essence is where it will find its power. What most modern horror has got completely wrong is in trying to establish a supposedly 'proper movie' around this kind of film experiment (that is more about sweat and stink and spiders and blood and buzzing and screaming and the sound of bones clattering on the floor and hammers dropped into buckets than wasting its energy 'developing characters).

A 'normal' 'not boring' movie would have Sally, during her pursuit discovering details about the family history as if its a mystery that we need to be solved. Encountering previous survivors and enlisting their help as if its about the action and not the terror. Talking about her life outside of the frame of the film and how she wants to get back to it as if we need to know this to understand what is happening in this film that is exclusively about the Now.

All this kind of traditional approach would have done is a break from the high pitched terror of the last 45 minutes that doesn't relent. And why the hell would we want that when this kind of narrative driven noise would only get in the way of all the noises that actually matter (see above).

If only more movies knew how to actually be great like this one, commit to its premise, throw convention into the dumpster fire where it belongs, than the world would be a better place. And maybe then all of these horrid sequels could have figured out the magic of the original and not wasted our time by existing and adopting all these unneccessary elements that elevate nothing (like back story revelations, motivations, character developments, stupid politics).

*sighs*

Am I actually going to have to set aside time to watch this someday?