The MoFo Top 100 Action Movie Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I hated Braveheart and both Kill Bill movies. Haven't seen the rest.

From the honorable mentions, I voted for Pulp Fiction.
Out of interest, why did you put Pulp Fiction on your list? Why do you personally categorize it as an action film?

Out of interest, why did you put Pulp Fiction on your list? Why do you personally categorize it as an action film?
As per the instructions in the OP, I voted for movies that I watch for the action in them.

How the hell is Star Trek not 100% sci-fi? I demand an explanation now, dam it, now!
Because it's also action and adventure. Like most movies, it occupies multiple genres.

How the hell is Star Trek not 100% sci-fi? I demand an explanation now, dam it, now!
Because it's also action and adventure. Like most movies, it occupies multiple genres.
Just because it has action in it doesn't mean the whole basis of the dam film is purely action. 90% of all the TV shows made these days have "action" in them! By lumping the greatest SCI-FI show/franchise ever made into such a vague category, you're doing Gene Roddenberry's legacy an even greater disservice than J.J. Abrams has.

As per the instructions in the OP, I voted for movies that I watch for the action in them.
Well, I guess.... but again, the term "action" seems to be a very broad understanding.

I mean, I guess someone finally deciding to order a tea and bagel is someone "taking action" and if you love that (imaginary) scene and it's intense enough I guess it's action.

But personally I don't see how Pulp Fiction is action. Someone with a gag ball in his mouse isn't exactly action. And overall, the whole point of the movie is how you don't see all the "action" usually related to such people as those in Pulp Fiction. I know there is stuff like this minor struggle with Willis and a 10 second scene of some bullets missing two characters who then fires back... but still, an action movie is stretching it.

Just because it has action in it doesn't mean the whole basis of the dam film is purely action.
I never said it was purely action. I only said it wasn't purely Sci-Fi.

Well, I guess.... but again, the term "action" seems to be a very broad understanding.
And? It fits my definition of action, which was all that was required for it to qualify for my ballot. And it didn't make the list proper, Omni chose to make it an honorable mention, so I don't see why this even warrants discussion. In any case I think I had it at #20, giving it a whopping 5 whole points.

Just because it has action in it doesn't mean the whole basis of the dam film is purely action.
I never said it was purely action. I only said it wasn't purely Sci-Fi.
Name a film that is purely Sci-Fi?

And? It fits my definition of action, which was all that was required for it to qualify for my ballot. And it didn't make the list proper, Omni chose to make it an honorable mention, so I don't see why this even warrants discussion. In any case I think I had it at #20, giving it a whopping 5 whole points.
This is a forum, we discuss. If you look back, I tried to make it sound as nice as possible by saying I was simply interested in your choice and why you saw it as an action film. Clearly it's not the most obvious action film, I would even say far from it, so it shouldn't be a question why this could be the root of a discussion. That's all. It's your list, put teletubbies on there, I was merely curious...

This is a forum, we discuss. If you look back, I tried to make it sound as nice as possible by saying I was simply interested in your choice and why you saw it as an action film. Clearly it's not the most obvious action film, I would even say far from it, so it shouldn't be a question why this could be the root of a discussion. That's all. It's your list, put teletubbies on there, I was merely curious...
It's got lots of gun violence and blood, like pretty much all Tarantino films. That to me qualifies as action.

Also I'm well aware that this is a forum. I'm also getting very weary of all the "this isn't truly this genre or that genre" arguments between this thread and the Sci-Fi Countdown one.

I dont recall that much action in The Shatner Films and Come on Gene Roddenberry the Godfather Of Sci Fi Movies. I Also dont care what IMDB says a movie is. Its not consider reliable source about movie information at times.

I dont recall that much action in The Shatner Films and Come on Gene Roddenberry the Godfather Of Sci Fi Movies. I Also dont care what IMDB says a movie is. Its not consider reliable source about movie information at times.
Well then expect to keep being told "no" whenever you say "isn't ____ purely ____?"

It's got lots of gun violence and blood, like pretty much all Tarantino films. That to me qualifies as action.

Also I'm well aware that this is a forum. I'm also getting very weary of all the "this isn't truly this genre or that genre" arguments between this thread and the Sci-Fi Countdown one.
Well, it's not my problem that I was appearently the one who asked you one time too much... I agree it's a dead circle of arguments by now, but since I've seen plenty of people point out the "false movies" in these threads, I haven't seen too many say that they were in fact the person who voted for a possible "ineligible movie". That's why I was curious, especially because I was interested in hearing your thoughts about it.

I mean, I guess someone finally deciding to order a tea and bagel is someone "taking action" and if you love that (imaginary) scene and IT'S INTENSE ENOUGH

I'm also getting very weary of all the "this isn't truly this genre or that genre" arguments between this thread and the Sci-Fi Countdown one.
My thoughts any time AboveTheClouds corrects me on music.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
A bunck of heavy hitters this time around. Edge of tomorrow and Braveheart are my favourites, if for different reasons. Edge's the spectecal movie, centered around a groundhog-esque live/die/repeate cycle that takes a rookie through to the end as a hardbitten badass.

Braveheart's more story driven, with little William growing up to lead his contrymen into epic (and funny) battlescenes with heavy horse and infantry going up against men in checkered skirts and no underware (for any Scots in the audience, I'm joking). They even get the Irish on their side, and together they take on the stuck up englishmen at Bannockburn, fighting like warrior poets (the ****?!).

Next up is Kill Bill vol 2, my prefered choice of the two if I'm forced to choose, but really the souldn't be separated. Together they are so much more than their parts, and anyway, I allways get the hankering to see the one after I've seen the other. They belong together, a single feature running north of 3 1/2 hours, right? Hanzo is awesome, Pai mei's a goofy bastered and the showdown with Elle is freakin' hilarious. Clearly the better part, but when combined, they tower over what they accomplish separetly.

Battle Royal's premise is somthing that could only come from Japan. "These kids today, they just lay about and stir up trouble. What should we do about it?" I don't know, just pick a class of high schoolers, send them to an island and make them slaughter each other until there's only one left. "...Perfect! This will solve the problem. Let's do it!"

So instead of lazy, no good punks roaming the streets, you'd prefer to have a lesser number of them, but they all should be completely psychotic and have a taste for full blown slaughter? Yeah, that's an improvment. Also, I find this movie hilarious. It's bat**** crazy, brutal and gory to the max. Hunger Games, but with attitude and more realism (or maybe not).

Haven't seen Wrath of Khan, but from what I hear Mr Montalban steals the show. And looks fabulous doing it.

Kill Bill is alright, not as big of a fan as i used to be did always prefer the second part. Hate Braveheart. Battle Royale was alright, bit of a letdown though. Love Pulp but don't consider it action. Haven't seen the rest.