My top 50 animated films

Tools    

Well, I said it in the one animated thread that I'd do this so here it is. It's gonna be hard to put them in order so at least for now, these aren't in any particular order but I might talk a little bit about a film if I really like it after the list.

Frozen
The Wind Rises
Kiki's Delivery Service
Howl's Moving Castle
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Ponyo
Disney's Hercules
Mary and Max
Coraline
Porco Rosso
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Grave of the Fireflies
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Metropolis
Tangled
Whisper of the Heart
My Neighbor Totoro
From Up on Poppy Hill
Castle in the Sky
How to Train your Dragon
Shrek
Shrek 2
Finding Nemo
Spirited Away
Up
Wreck-it-Ralph
The Secret World of Arrietty
Happy Feet
A Bugs Life
The Wolf Children
Colorful
The Place Promised In Our Early Days
The Incredibles
Fantasia
The Cat Returns
Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2
The Lego Movie
Kung Fu Panda 2
Despicable me 2
Anastasia
Arthur Christmas
The Sword in the Stone
The Rescuers Down Under
The Great Mouse Detective
Beauty and the Beast
The Nightmare before Christmas
Corpse Bride

As for the movies where I did the first and second movie as separate entries. I will add these three:
A Goofy Movie
Mulan
Tarzan

To be honest there are a lot of films I'd actually still add to even this list. Maybe one day I'll make it a top 75 or even 100, but for now that is my list.

Anything Miyazaki (be it Goro or Hayao) on this list has a special place for me, but more than any of them is "The Wind Rises". I love this movie. There are so many amazing moments on it's own but being able to see things from other Miyazaki movies all wrapped into what might really be Hayao-san's last film is really something amazing. If I really had to pick an absolute favorite animated film, it would be that movie because Studio Ghibli as a whole is in my opinion, the best animated film studio today. Disney, is a close second but there's just something about Ghibli that makes me like it more. Maybe I feel like I grew up with Ghibli more than I did Disney, maybe I just like anime more than american animation. Whatever the case I will always be a huge fan of both studios.

I think it's interesting that you included A BUG'S LIFE on your list but did not include ANTZ, which I personally think is a superior film.
I honestly didn't like ANTZ. I understand there is a more mature setting there, but having seen a Bug's Life first, probably ruined it for me. I also don't remember anything about any of the characters in that film. I remember one character died and they kind of made a joke about the main character talking to his head as he was dying, but that's pretty much it. It never stuck with me.

Anything Miyazaki (be it Goro or Hayao) on this list has a special place for me, but more than any of them is "The Wind Rises". I love this movie. There are so many amazing moments on it's own but being able to see things from other Miyazaki movies all wrapped into what might really be Hayao-san's last film is really something amazing. If I really had to pick an absolute favorite animated film, it would be that movie because Studio Ghibli as a whole is in my opinion, the best animated film studio today. Disney, is a close second but there's just something about Ghibli that makes me like it more. Maybe I feel like I grew up with Ghibli more than I did Disney, maybe I just like anime more than american animation. Whatever the case I will always be a huge fan of both studios.
I see, I would rank currently my top 5 animation studios as follows (taking into account the studios that made some of my favorite animations):

1 - Ghibli
2 - Madhouse
3 - Gainax
4 - Shaft
5 - Radix (just because of Haibane Renmei)

Among American studios I prefer Pixar and the studios that made South Park and Futurama. I don't like Disney, proper, very much though, even though I have one movie of theirs in my top 50.

Though I don't watch animation based on studio, I usually watch based on the director (or writer in the case of certain anime series), I like the direction style of animation directors like Miyazaki, Takahata, Izubuchi, Anno, Oshii, Shinkai, Hosoda, Kon, Sato, ABe, Norstein, Ikuhara, and Shimbo.

I don't think I go based on anything in particular myself. It just happens that studio Ghibli and Disney have made a lot of my favorite animated films. Miyazaki-san just happens to have done most of my favorites, although I have to give a lot of credit to Takahata and the various others directors of Ghibli as well. Disney has had a fairly large amount of good directors as well.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Howls Moving Castle
Wall-E
How To Train Your Dragon
Shrek

Sorry to bump such an old thread of mine, but I can't help but wonder why the words "Animated" and "film" are highlighted red in my posts. I never did that when I made or replied to anything in this thread. Could someone please explain to me why that is?

That must have been it then. I was browsing through the forums looking for those words to see what had been talked about in animated films since I was last here, and decided to click on my own thread when I ran into it.

Isn't anime where demons rape schoolgirls with tentacles?