Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I had to count how many skulls there were and I still don't know.

Suspect's Reviews

I watched these two recently:

Last Vegas - 1.5/5

Great cast of course but the script was nothing special. These actors were probably just looking to have a good time together and didn't care of the quality of the film itself.

American Beauty - 4.5/5

First time seeing this. It was excellent. Spacey is a phenom. The only thing before watching about this movie that I knew about it was the opening shower scene with himself. That's all anyone talks about when they've mentioned the movie. It was funny but so much more to this film.

American Beauty - 4.5/5

First time seeing this. It was excellent. Spacey is a phenom. The only thing before watching about this movie that I knew about it was the opening shower scene with himself. That's all anyone talks about when they've mentioned the movie. It was funny but so much more to this film.
Such a great movie! I am always blown away by the goings on in that last 30 minutes of the movie.

Fight Club

My first watch of Fight Club and it's a good film undoubtedly. Edward Norton and Brad Pitt were very good. If anyone cares to shed some light, is the film about the evil in materialism? That's what I got out of it atleast.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Would be surprised if you haven't.(Phoenix)
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Fight Club

My first watch of Fight Club and it's a good film undoubtedly. Edward Norton and Brad Pitt were very good. If anyone cares to shed some light, is the film about the evil in materialism? That's what I got out of it atleast.
Evil in materialism is tyler's dogma, which is ultimately rejected by norton. I think it's about the internal struggle to define our own schema, to interpret and control the world around us. Others believe there are a lot of homosexual undertones.

Not currently on fire...

The third television sequel to the classic 1967 war film is not as weak as the first Next Mission, but not as good as Deadly Mission, even an absurdly explosive climax cannot make-up for a mission that makes no sense.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	D12-FatalMission_KA.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	19573  

Big Hero 6, 3.8/5. It's a fairly good movie, but I think it's also over hyped. The fact that it got nominated for animated film of the year doesn't surprise me, but I can't say it deserves it. The characters and story are more like a typical kids film rather than a superhero one and while I of course understand that's is an american made animated film, so child antics and appeal are expected, any number of other films can and have done what this one did. It's kind of a letdown compared to other animated superhero films I've seen. The animation is amazing and the voice acting was also really good, but the rest fell upon the typical format for a film like this. Despite my complaints though, it does have it's moments in both comedy and touching moments for characters, but it just could have been more. I'll probably buy it when gets released.on Blu-ray, but it's still nothing over the top special.

Unregistered User

What's Up Doc (1972)

Really funny screwball comedy.
+

The Lego Movie

Watched this a few times over the weekend as my daughter absolutely loved it. The first time I really didn't enjoy it that much. It just felt that too much was going on but after several rewatches it's much better. Ferrel as President is really funny and overall the film has some witty moments.

American Sniper (2014)

My review of this movie is divided between historical accuracy and artistic value.

From the historical standpoint, the movie plays like a propaganda piece, or a recruiting advertisement, for the US military. The movie glorifies the military's heroics in a war that was unjustified and built on lies that the Bush administration made to the American people. The bad guys in the movie, known by US media at the time as "insurgents", are one dimensional and not acknowledged as a resistance group fighting a military force that had invaded their land and country. But yet again, Clint Eastwood, a renowned champion for the Republican Party, is the director of the film, so the lopsided patriotic sentiments expressed in the film are understood.

For that, I give the movie

Now from the artistic standpoint, the movie is a breath-taking cinematic experience. The war scenes are intense (think Saving Private Ryan), and the acting is even more intense. Bradley Cooper plays Chris Kyle with such flair and sincerity that an Academy Award nomination is well-deserved.

For that I give the movie

By averaging out the score, the movie earns an overall rounded-up rating of

Astro Boy (2009)

I didn't expect much of this movie. It received mediocre ratings, I had not heard of it before picking it out on some list somewhere, it was made by a studio I've never heard about; in short, it wasn't measuring up to be anything particularly memorable. I am glad to say I was pleasantly surprised.

I don't know how it compares to the source material, but on its own it's a pretty powerful rollercoaster of emotions. The story is of a young boy whose dad is a leading scientist in a futuristic society. He one day disobeys his father and comes to visit him at work to see his latest experiment. The experiment goes wrong and... the boy is killed. His grieving father then goes on to construct a robot replica of his dead son and programs it with the DNA and memories of his son. Some time later he realizes this was a mistake which causes him a lot of pain and throws the robot boy away, who now needs to find his place in the world.

It has to be said that there's not much to shout about in terms of originality. There are themes from many other movies which are, for example: Iron Man, I Robot, Robots, AI and such.

Still, that doesn't mean the movie is boring. If anything, it's one of the more touching movies I've ever seen and that counts for something. If I was to be picky, I'd say that the movie should have been a little bit more light-spirited, considering that the target audience are little kids.

Not currently on fire...
Such a shame 2061 and 3001 will probably never be made in my lifetime.
Given the popularity of 'thinking space movies' in the last year I think they are more probable now than for a long time.

However, I imagine that they would have to remake the first two as well and that will lead to a lot of feather-spitting.

I wonder if an HBO style TV series would be a better medium - people are more tolerant of texts being remade if they move between media and it would avoid people comparing them too closely.

Barefoot in the Park (1967)

From the top 100 passions list is this rom-com with a very good Robert Redford, and a cute and funny Jane Fonda. It's not about a whole lot, but the two leads make it work. I would've recommended it to gbgoodies, but I see from her list that she's seen it.

La Jetee (1962)

I didn't think I'd like this short told with still images and narration, but it is haunting and effective.

John Wick

Probably one of the best movies I have seen in a while in the action genre. One of the best badass characters in a movie for a while as well. The story was pretty solid but nothing new other than a revenge story but I was intrigued. Keanu was his usual monotone self but it suited the character he played. The other characters around him were the ones telling you more about John Wick which I thought was a good concept. He does speak much and that made him calculating. It would be in my top 15 action films of all time, I just really liked the film.

4/5 Stars

Annabelle

Well not as good as The Conjuring but it was still solid. I liked the back story and how it tied in with The Conjuring, I was hoping for a cameo from Vera and Patrick but oh well. The one thing I didn't like was the ending though, I am not going to spoil anything but it felt anti-climatic. The scares were pretty consistent throughout and people with children would probably feel more scared. Overall a pretty decent movie and I would probably rewatch late at night for a good thrill.

3/5 Stars

Nightcrawler

Probably one of my most hated characters on screen thus far I have seen in a film. I know you are not meant to like him but he made me want to jump in the screen and kill him! How Jake Gyllenhaal got snubbed for a best actor Oscar is beyond me, he embodies this character and makes you hate him. Overall the movie felt like it really had no plot and the story was a bit thin. I could describe it as a story about nothing with a character to love to hate. I wish I had his bargaining power though, seems to get what he wants 90% of the time.

3.5/5 Stars (3 stars is for Louis Bloom)