What's your favorite John Carpenter Flick?

Tools    

Personally, I prefer John Carpenter's more "apocalyptic" or supernaturally-themed films. In particular, I really love the so-called "trilogy" of The Thing (1982), Prince of Darkness (1987) and In the Mouth of Madness (1994). I also love The Fog (1980), which gets too little love compared to Halloween (1978). Christine (1983) is one of my favorite Stephen King adaptations, and sci-fi social satire They Live (1988) is also great fun!

Now, regarding Halloween... I freely grant that it's an influential, iconic low-budget classic. And to be honest, I do like it a great deal. But it doesn't really resonate with me compared to the aforementioned films. Maybe the whole "masked killer" / slasher sub-genre doesn't really do much for me (even though Halloween is better than most in that sub-genre). I mean, some guy in a mask and a machete stalking around racking up an inevitable body count isn't something I'm all that interested in. Granted, I do love the Nightmare on Elm Street films because of the supernatural elements and the whole dream angle, the way we're plunged into the world of the characters' unconscious. And the Friday the 13th films do have a morbid fascination for me because of the dogged and almost comically relentless way the producers somehow manage to keep milking the franchise and finding ever-more ludicrous ways of bringing Jason Voorhees back from the dead - up to and including sending him into outer space! Certainly entertaining, if not exactly artful.

Halloween is certainly very simple, direct and effective at doing its job as a "scare machine," one that ticks off all the right boxes of what a scary movie "should" do, but I personally don't find it all that stimulating beyond that. I mean, "maybe it was the Boogeyman!" Not much there for me, I'm afraid. No offense. The Fog, on the other hand, has the whole theme of the ancestral curse on the town of Antonio Bay and the whole theme of sin and expiation, and The Thing has this weird gender subtext, with its group of increasingly paranoid males and a shapeshifting creature capable of opening up and biting off people's limbs in a way that Sigmund Freud would have heartily red-flagged. (Or maybe I just have an overactive intellect! Perhaps I think too much and feel too little...)

I'm actually much less familiar with the two Escape films with Kurt Russell as Snake Plissken. I've seen fragments of Escape from New York (1981) on cable TV many, many years ago. I also did see Escape from L.A. (1996) once in its original theatrical run. But not since then, however. One of these days, though, I'll watch them properly in a Blu-ray or 4K double bill!

I've seen fragments of Escape from New York (1981) on cable TV many, many years ago.

Do you even Carpenter, bro?

I'm sorry, but I'm not particularly fluent in "dudespeak." You'll have to speak the King's if you want to have a productive dialogue... bro.
Playing posh will not absolve you of your filmographical sins, Pazuzu.

Have you even seen Assault on Precinct 13? Do you even Carpenter, bro?

Playing posh will not absolve you of your filmographical sins, Pazuzu.

Have you even seen Assault on Precinct 13? Do you even Carpenter, bro?
Forgive me, I guess I was in a slightly irritated mood last night and I kind of took it out on you. That was uncalled for.

Bottom line is, I "do" Cronenberg, I "do" Kubrick, I "do" Hitchcock, I "do" Bergman... but I guess that I'm not as familiar with Carpenter's filmography as I am with the aforementioned directors. I merely decided to put in my two cents on the issue when I saw this particular thread. Please try not to hold my filmographical "sins" against me. After all, I was honest enough about what I liked, disliked or was less than familiar with about Carpenter's work. I certainly don't think I was pretending to be something I wasn't.

And no, I haven't seen Assault on Precinct 13 (1976) all the way through yet. As with the first Escape, I've just seen fragments on cable TV when I was younger. But hey, one of these days, right...?

"Playing posh"? Maybe. But please bear in mind, elitism can manifest itself in ways that we're not always consciously aware of. Peace.

BTW, Corax, that's a super-cute avatar. I'm a cat lover myself.

Forgive me, I guess I was in a slightly irritated mood last night and I kind of took it out on you. That was uncalled for.
A true Carpenter fan never apologizes!

WARNING: "Don't look, bro." spoilers below
When I say "bro," tongue is decidedly in cheek. No offense taken. Nothing on your end that call for apology. You are decidedly, OK.

Bottom line is, I "do" Cronenberg, I "do" Kubrick, I "do" Hitchcock, I "do" Bergman... but I guess that I'm not as familiar with Carpenter's filmography as I am with the aforementioned directors. I merely decided to put in my two cents on the issue when I saw this particular thread. Please try not to hold my filmographical "sins" against me.
But I will! Your penance is to watch Assault on Precinct 13 and Escape from New York from front-to-back. Only then shall peace be upon you.

Your penance is to watch Assault on Precinct 13 and Escape from New York from front-to-back. Only then shall peace be upon you.
That sounds like a very reasonable form of penance. I eagerly look forward to serving it... whenever it is I get around to it, that is.