More Moore, Anyone?

Tools    

From today's indieWIRE:

Michael Moore Takes Aim at George W. Bush for Next Doc
by Christopher Henderson

Stagehands may get the chance to boo Michael Moore a second time at Oscar 2005. Moore has found a surprising production company, Mel Gibson's Icon Productions to back his next film Fahrenheit 911. The new documentary will be no less controversial than the Oscar-winning Bowling for Columbine.

"The primary thrust of the film is what happened to the country since Sept. 11 and how the Bush administration used this tragic event to push its agenda," commented Moore in an interview with Variety. "It certainly does deal with the Bush and bin Laden ties. It asks a number of questions that I don't have the answers to yet, but which I intend to find out."

The potential furor around the new film and the tumult surrounding Moore's Oscar night speech did nothing to deter bidders for Fahrenheit 911. Variety called the sale, which ended with Icon's bid of more than $10 million up front and potential back end, a "fevered auction." Gibson, a staunch Republican, put politics aside, apparently swayed more by Bowling for Columbine's $40 million worldwide gross than its left-leaning bent.

Moore began researching Fahrenheit 911 more than a year ago and intends to complete it in time for submission to Cannes 2004 and a theatrical release prior to the presidential election next November.

The Bush / bin Laden ties that Moore will explore include George Bush Sr.'s business dealings with Mohammed bin Laden, the Saudi construction magnate who left $300 million to his son, Osama and the connection between the Bush Sr. led CIA and the forces in Afghanistan that fought the Soviet Union in the late 70s and early 80s.

In his Variety interview, Moore attributed the Fahrenheit deal and increased sales of his book Stupid White Men since his Oscar speech to public support for his politics. "It's because the majority of Americans agree with me, see the economy in the toilet, and didn't vote for George W. People are now realizing that you can question your government while still caring about the soldiers."

I won't bother to respond to most of that.

"It asks a number of questions that I don't have the answers to yet, but which I intend to find out."
I think he knows the answers already.

Oh, leave him alone. His movies are good. Not in the moral sense, but it the enjoyment sense. Like Uday being dumb in the brain sense and not in the not able to speak sense.

It was beauty killed the beast.
There is plenty of already available material to make a very eye-opening, and interesting film on this subject, but I'm leery about Moore at this point. He has shown that he will not let truth get in the way of his message; I think that is a bad stance for a documentary filmmaker to have, and a detriment to us liberals who look bad in the wake of his shenanigans.

Gibson is a nutcase, and Moore is... er... Moore. I'm glad no real production company took the project.

Revoke the Oscar.

I am having a nervous breakdance
If I can see and listen to Bush vomiting his crap on the news every night I think I can manage another Michael Moore film. I probably will have known about the information in it allready but a lot of people probably haven't and I look forward to it in any case.

One has to applaude Gibson though for letting commercial aims triumph over political ideals since his political ideals suck.

Kong, you liberals looked bad before Bowling For Columbine allready. You're spineless and that's why radicalism frightens you.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Well. I might see this film. I might not for fear that I would get sick from all of the liberal bullsh.....I mean radical liberalism expressed that this film promises.

If the film is good, I'll respect it for it's qualities, and I'll try to ignore how much I loathe Moore's fat stupid wimpy and whiney politics, and how much I disagree with everything this film will stand for.

I like Michael Moores films, as they are good, but he is nothing, and I mean nothing in comparison to Errol Morris, my favorite doc maker of all time.

I have mixed feelings on this film. It promises to be extremist left propaganda, which I am sickened by. I regard this in the same way as I do the extremist right propaganda, Triumph of the Will (which is possibly the greatest doc ever, based on the scope and photography alone). I'll base it on a film standpoint, not a political. (There are some differences between the films if I'm asked to compare, which I probobly will be).

And Mel Gibson is awesome.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Oh, I'll be first in line to see this. I'm so fed up with all the hard right-wing B.S. (Bush Sh*t) we have to listen to these days. Let Moore be heard!

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Originally posted by Monkeypunch
Oh, I'll be first in line to see this. I'm so fed up with all the hard right-wing B.S. (Bush Sh*t) we have to listen to these days. Let Moore be heard!
I'm with you, Monkeypunch. I like having guys like Moore around to simply rock the boat some. The last time a country was ever completely on the same page was Germany during the 1930's, and it didn't turn out so great, did it? Moore's one of the few still sticking his neck and fighting the good fight for what he truely believes in, and not simply caving in to popular demand like everyone else.

Originally posted by stiltman
Moore's one of the few still sticking his neck and fighting the good fight for what he truely believes in, and not simply caving in to popular demand like everyone else.
There are tons and tons of other people fighting for what they believe, they just aren't all a bunch of egotistic attention-whores.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Originally posted by Kong

There are tons and tons of other people fighting for what they believe, they just aren't all a bunch of egotistic attention-whores.
That was so well put that I think I'm going to cry.....

Hooray for Kong!

Originally posted by Beale the Rippe

That was so well put that I think I'm going to cry.....

Hooray for Kong!
Don't get too excited, because Kong does lean pretty far to the left.

Originally posted by Kong
There is plenty of already available material to make a very eye-opening, and interesting film on this subject, but I'm leery about Moore at this point. He has shown that he will not let truth get in the way of his message; I think that is a bad stance for a documentary filmmaker to have, and a detriment to us liberals who look bad in the wake of his shenanigans.
Amen.

I am having a nervous breakdance
That Moore should be a left extremist and compare his work with work of Riefenstahl, Hitler's propaganda film director, is such an exaggeration. The rightwing equivalence of the politics Moore represents is nazism?? Not really. To me Moore represent something that could be described as a leftwing democrat and is therefore the equivalence of George W Bush, who is a conservative republican. And that's why his movies are a good counterweight to Bush's version of the truth.