Movie Club: Lolita

Tools    

My life isn't written very well.
I don't know if this has ever been done here before, and if it has I'm sorry to repeat it. But I propose we start a movie club, after all this isa movie forum.

How this would work would be that I, or another member, recommend a particular film and everyone that wants to participate, watch that specific film within a weeks time. If you have already seen the movie, watch it again. If you haven't try and find it. Watch it at work, put it on in the background while you search the web. Just watch it.

After the week is up, we come back here and discuss the film, what it means, or what we thought of it. Perhaps a new thread could be started, or one that talks about it could be revived.

Given the nature of one of the threads I started about pedophilia, my first choice will be Lolita. Not the original, but the Adrian Lyne directed remake starring Jeremy Irons. It shouldn't be too hard to find, although Blockbuster may not stock it. You could probably find it on the web(!) somewhere.

Anyway, a week from today I'll revisit this thread and start a discussion about the film. I recommend that whomever participates think of the next film. We could go in alphabetical order from your username. For instance, I'll start. But say Sir Toose participates as does Yoda. Sir Toose would choose the next film, then Yoda after him. Make sense?

Okay, Lolita then because I think it deals with material we are likely to hear more about in the future, and it is a great film too. Here is the IMBd link:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0119558

See you back here in a week. Discussion will begin on 4-31-03.
Anyone interested?

This weeks group so far:

miniontv
r3port3r66
verbal penguin(?)

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

I like the idea. But who will decide what movie? Surely we are interested in some kind of diversity...

Good question. Well, if you're the only one that chooses to participate, you get to choose the next film after we have first discussed Lolita. It could be any film you like and think is discussion worthy for any reason. We'll have to watch it.

If members, other than yourself, choose to join in then we go in alphabetical order. For instance say Sir Toose, Yoda, verbal penguin and Sexy Celebity join in. After the chosen movie is discussed Sexy Celebrity would choose next. After that, since Sexy had already picked, the next member in alphabetical order would select. That would be Sir Toose in the example above. It sounds confusing, but I have a feeling it would work itself out.

By the way, any film, barring an XXX-rating(this is a family site), can be chosen. I just think it would be fun to discuss any movie that we have all seen at the same time, while the material is still fresh in our heads.

I See You When You're Sleeping
I think it's a fantastic idea r3, count me in!

Edit your first post to include the members who agree to participate so we know how many will be in the discussion and who will next etc.

Also keep this thread open only for naming the movie and not for the discussion. It would make such a cool indexing system to the discussion threads.

Count me in.......

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

I am having a nervous breakdance
I'm in

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
i like that idea...i would like to participate too.

Plus a lady fan of PimpDaShizzle V2.0 and Most importantly JRS

Great everyone! This should be fun.

So far, these members (in alphabetical order) have signed on and will discuss Lolita on 4-31-03:

miniontv
moviefan20
Nikki
Piddzilla
r3port3r66
verbal penguin(?)
Yoda

That means miniontv should start thinking about the next film. Although minion, if you would like to pass your turn to Yoda since he is the webmaster here, and unfortunately his username begins with a "Y", you could do so out of the kindness of your heart. If not, I look forward to your choice.

Shouldn't it be alphabetically after you r3 as you have chosen first?

Nevermind.... I'm not in. I think it's stupid to devote one entire thread to movie discussion when we've got a WHOLE FORUM. At first, I thought this was something to do at IMDB.

Brilliant idea minion! Thanks. Yeah, so unless verbal penguin makes a firm commitment, Yoda will choose next.

Duly noted Jason. I just thought it's hard sometimes to get members that have seen a movie, especially an old one, at the same time to discuss it without having forgotten some of the details. This way it's fresh on everyone's mind.

*firm commitment*

It was beauty killed the beast.
Count Kong in.

Which version of Lolita is Kong supposed to watch?

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
I'm in.

I must become Caligari..!
Mee Tooo
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

imin

Hell Yeah count me in!!!!

I'm glad so many of you have taken an interest in this.

Note to Kong: If Kong could please watch the Adrian Lyne version starring Jeremy Irons. I have posted a link with information for Kong in the first post of this thread.

Here is a list of those members interested in watching the film and start discussing it on 4-31-03:

Beale the Rippe
Hondo333
Kiwi
Kong
Lord Slayton
megma
miniontv
moviefan20
Nikki
Piddzilla
r3port3r66
verbal penguin
Yoda

verbal penguin is in line to choose the next film to discuss. And the highly anticipated Yoda choice is after that.

Up to now I have not been able to aquire the said film with previous method, apparantly i have to exchange currency to gain a copy. I will have to spend money. oh well.

Also searching for 'Lolita' on the internet does not help. There is an actor called 'Big Irons' in one of the films I found but not Jeremy.