Male Movies

Tools    

My life isn't written very well.
It was a joke. It's getting so you can't even make a "funny" around here anymore.

Jason you said you really didn't get "Matrix", and in the context of this thread, which is a list of "Male Films" the fact that you didn't get it sort of disproved the whole "Male movie list" thing. And moviefan said she didn't like it either, but she's a girl, and the list implicates only men--so of course she wouldn't like it. Hence, I said maybe the list should say "heterosexual male movies." I honestly don't think gay men were included in that survey. I know my list would be a whole lot different than their list. Wouldn't yours?

I saw "White Oleander" too--on DVD. I bet if you questioned most men at random in America and asked if they'd seen "White Oleander", they probably wouldn't know what you were talking about, or the ones that had would tell you they had seen it with their significant others. Remember, I'm saying MOST men. But if you were to ask a man about "Matrix", well of course he would know what movie you mean.

Steve I know you're kidding but you make a good point.
Gay people like meg ryan and Madonna movies, because they have gay characters living inside the real situations. If Hollywood would make a GOOD movie with a gay superhero, or non-pansified lead, we wouldn't have to sit through the likes of "The Next Best Thing."

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Originally posted by r3port3r66
It was a joke. It's getting so you can't even make a "funny" around here anymore.

Jason you said you really didn't get "Matrix", and in the context of this thread, which is a list of "Male Films" the fact that you didn't get it sort of disproved the whole "Male movie list" thing. And moviefan said she didn't like it either, but she's a girl, and the list implicates only men--so of course she wouldn't like it. Hence, I said maybe the list should say "heterosexual male movies." I honestly don't think gay men were included in that survey. I know my list would be a whole lot different than their list. Wouldn't yours?

I have a million things I could say about this ~ since your dull "joke" didn't decode to me because it wasn't something I was expecting from you, while a rant against prejudice of homosexuals in Iraq is ~ but I won't say them.

My thing against "The Matrix" isn't against the Male Movie List, really. I am surprised that it's before "Fight Club" and "Pulp Fiction", but my thing against "The Matrix" is personal. I'm not trying to disprove the list (I'll do that later).

Would my list be a whole lot different than their list? I have a favorites list here. Click the box of popcorn and look.

I saw "White Oleander" too--on DVD. I bet if you questioned most men at random in America and asked if they'd seen "White Oleander", they probably wouldn't know what you were talking about,
UH-HUM, Let me list my sensitive male credentials here. I not only saw but greatly enjoyed:

Green Fried Tomatoes
The Joy Luck Club
Like Water for Chocolate (not be confused w/Chocolate, hispanic sub-titled)
Boys on the Side
Sweet Home Alabama
My Big Fat Greek Wedding

However, that being said, I have no idea what White Oleander is other than it sounds like a flower.

As for homosexuality, don't think all gay men are flaming twinkle toes who just die for lilac talcum and pink chiffon. I have met some butch gay men who are the other extreme.

Nope, not gay myself, sorry fellas.

Originally posted by Sexy Celebrity
I really don't get The Matrix....
Well, I get it now. I just finished watching it (completely, in one sitting) on the DVD player. It kept my attention (though, it almost lost me during the fighting scenes) and I enjoyed it. I'll go see the sequels.

It's this survey I don't like... it still seems made-up.

Rock God
man, you ladies are too busy defining the word "gay" to remember the toughest tough movie ever made....

Raging Bull . Failing that...... maybe GoodFellas. But something by Marty Scorsese.

The main thing that defines a "guy movie" for me is something that hits you in the gut emotionally. It has to have that visceral impact. You might be saying "emotional movies are for women" but I think the movies that made me think about what it means to REALLY be a man were very heavy and very sincere.

Life isn't pretty..... it takes a big man to fall down and get back up again. The toughest movies are the ones that express that. Whether they have the most explosions or not. Being tough has nothing to do with guns.

My life isn't written very well.
I'm glad you saw it again, and liked it Sexy.

Speaking of falling down Brodie, I thought Falling Down, with Michael Douglas was a "male" movie.

But I wonder what would you classify Top Gun as, or Days of Thunder? Okay, I know Days of Thunder was bad, but I know some men who just went to see it because of what it was about--and they liked it! These "men's men" would get bored at Raging Bull trust me. "Why is it in black and white?" I can hear them asking, being angry they wasted $1.50 at the video store.

Rock God
If you become bored watching Raging Bull , it's probably because you're not thinking about it.

A stereotype I HATE - guys like dumb movies because guys are dumb. A movie's not truly a "male" movie until it talks down to you and encourages you to indulge in you most sophomoric fatasies. Oooo, titties are fun! Guns are fun! YAAAYYY!!!

C'mon..... being a man isn't about the doodles you did in your High School chem notebook. It's about the time your girlfriend of four years broke up with you and you wanted to kill yourself.... it's about trying to decide if punching the ******* in the face is worth getting fired over..... it's about struggling to scrape up that car payment and trying to tell your kids why they'll have a smaller Christmas this year.

Adulthood sucks. Movies like the Matrix or Top Gun don't remind me of manhood at all.

i'm shocked and dismayed. when i think of a "male" movie, 'lawrence of arabia' invariably pops into my head. i mean, come on!! three+ hours of blood, sweat, and male bonding....and nary a woman in sight! now THAT'S a manly motion picture.

I am having a nervous breakdance
I'm gonna spell it out for you. Male movies = War movies.

By the way, I loved "Matrix" the first time I saw it, but it gets more and more uninteresting for every time I see it. So, I don't see it anymore. But I will see the sequels. However, I don't agree that it's pointless because it's about a fictional world that doesn't exist in reality. I think sci-fi movies (because I think it's kinda sci-fi) are a perfect tool to comment on our reality, which "Matrix" does.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Rock God
It definitely does. I agree that the Matrix has powerful socio-political themes, but that doesn't necessarily make it a "guy" movie, in my eyes. It just doesn't hit home on a "man to man" level that some movies do. A "guy" movie should make you feel like the filmmaker is pulling you aside to give you a talk about how real life really works.

Male movie..........

any movie which has Debbie in the title.........

sorry guys..............I've been pigging out on chocolate again.....!!!!!!

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

I love all those movies, except one that didnt impress me was:
Reservoir Dogs

Quintin Tarrentino (sp?) is an odd director, this is one of my least favorite movies by him, i think the ending is good. The idea is a good one, but i think the story is lacking a little...
Just cut a little too short.

step back

maybe i need to see it again, because i only saw it once, and that was late at night.

but i found it boring and lacked integrity as a film...