Donnie Darko WOW 9.5/10

→ in
Tools    

Off the bat I can appreciate that this film is aimed at a very niche market........ one that I fall smack bang into.

With that said I must declare, shouting from the rooftops DONNIE DARKO RULES "sounds like the name of a superhero?"

Never can I recall a film that engaged me 100% intellectually and at the same time had me 100% emotionally invested in the charecters. An eloquent, poetic script and stunning use of montage. Truly majestic audio visual editing (Tears for Fears through the hall anyone?) and some of the most surreal ideas ever put on celluloid Donnie Darko will change your life.

Its a Sci Fi, horror, teen comedy,drama with rich social satire riddled with metaphors??? (Who knows). But when its funny its funny, when it scary its scary, when its touching and sad its touching and sad and at the same time its all just a surreal, creepy melancholy dream.

To give you a synopsis of even one second of this film would blemish your own personal interpretation, a film that you get out of it as much as you want to invest in it.

In the years to come I only pray this film get raised onto a pedastool alongside the true classics of each generation as Citizen Kane, Larwrence of Arabia, The Godfather......or at the very least a cult gem along with Manchurian Candidate, Jacobs Ladder, Seconds and Virgin Suicides...........changing the way we look at cinema and the way celluloid storytelling morphs into an art form unto itself. Touching on portions of the human experience that no other form of creative expression can quite match.

I apologize for my unrestrained drooling over this film, and I probably sound like a ranting idiot but hey, I saw it for the first time six months ago and just recently got my hands on a copy so Ive been rewatching it. The first time on the big screen stunned and moved me like no other film, but on second and third viewing the film gains so many more dimensions...... Please everyone I emplore you see Donnie Darko and hopefully be moved?

Everything I’ve heard about this movie has been good so I’m looking forward to seeing it…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally posted by Deckard

Never can I recall a film that engaged me 100% intellectually and at the same time had me 100% emotionally invested in the charecters. An eloquent, poetic script and stunning use of montage. Truly majestic audio visual editing

Its a Sci Fi, horror, teen comedy,drama with rich social satire riddled with metaphors??? (Who knows). But when its funny its funny, when it scary its scary, when its touching and sad its touching and sad and at the same time its all just a surreal, creepy melancholy dream.

In the years to come I only pray this film get raised onto a pedastool alongside the true classics of each generation as Citizen Kane, Larwrence of Arabia, The Godfather......or at the very least a cult gem along with Manchurian Candidate, Jacobs Ladder, Seconds and Virgin Suicides.
Please everyone I emplore you see Donnie Darko and hopefully be moved?
I totally agree. This film blew me away, emotionally and mentally. This is always what i see as a great film "Sci fi, teen comedy, horror, drama" a mix of everything that makes a good movie! i absoloutly loved it and found my brain working away through the whole film trying hard to figure out everything that was coming at me. By the time i got out of the cinema (after walkiing out like a zombie, drooling) i felt like i wanted to write down what happend so that i could try and figure it all out.

If its ok, how about you guys start placing your own interpretations of this film on here? I understood it till the end, then i was just so blown away and i kind of got all swept up in the emotion but couldnt figure out what happend exactly. I think i know the message the film gives us but id like to hear you thoughts on it?

Excellant movie.
already a thread on it HERE

and another
HERE

Follow the White Rabbit ...
Well it's only just been released in cineams over here in the UK.

However, I doubt anywhere locally will be showing it. Althouh this is something I really want to see, so will probably end up purchasing the Region1 DVD

Lets put a smile on that block
Youll be suprised actually. its showing in both my local Odeon and UCi cinema. And if youve got an arthouse cinema near you it will definatly be showing there. I saw it this weekend in an art house cinema in SouthHampton and it was superb.

Originally posted by FiLm Fr3aK
Excellant movie.
already a thread on it HERE

and another
HERE
why bump...weren't those two links enough

didn't like it :/

YoUr FrIeNd &TrUsTeD aDvIsOr
well Verbal Penguin is a moron. DONNIE DARKO WAS SUBLIME a butiful movie with a story that blew me away. and lets not forget the fabulous cover of the tears for fears song mad world. jake J is a great actor and realy sold me on the hole inches from mad thing. I was very impressed and was very very choked up at many parts(and that does not happen)the scripts was soo well written I could watch many times over and have it was the first DVD I bought and the first soundtrack(either than a cupple Tarinteno's and oh, brother were art though)I actully PURCHASED. I was soo startled by the movie I I sent copies of it to my cosuins in syblings for christmas.

the smerf senario. come on.

Verbal Penguin might be a moron, but even he realizes that movies are a matter of personal taste.

Originally posted by drexal parks
well Verbal Penguin is a moron.
Everybody is entitled to their own opinions dude, so chill please.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I'm gonna try to give this movie a real try, but no promises. From the parts I saw, I came to the conclusion that the rabbit was stupid looking and the whole show reeked of a teenage depression era I just don't follow. And I'll never forgive the cheesy scene with the woman at the front door worrying about her "Sparkle Motion!"

It was beauty killed the beast.
Kong enjoyed Donnie Darko, but fails to see its "greatness." Kong was intrigued and engrossed by the premise and plot of the film, but was never particularly emotionally moved. Kong also had some problems with the acting (not Gylenhaal of course), and some of the dialogue (it's been way too long for Kong to recall specific instances though). Still, it's a cool,slick, and well-made movie.

*** of ****

Originally posted by LordSlaytan
Wonderful.
Yes, the sun still shines.

I was only teasing, Jason. You answered in the same sarcastic manner when I mentioned I would write a small essay about the same movie in another thread. Smart-ass.

hello friends it is me...(pause)Drexal Parks
my sincear sorries.
I do relaize that an opinon is an opinon but I do state for the record that he gave no reasons no purpose. he just didn't like it?
okay okay I will never be soo judgmental again on a forum of movies or anything in the like.
nice opinon Verbal Penguin.

Be as judgemental as you want bro, just take 'er easy on the name calling. BTW: I love DD.

I find myself frustrated I watched DD so long ago and so manytimes since I have lost all ability to elaberate my feelings toward it. to the point when I love it is just not enough.