Movie Club: Lolita

Tools    

First, I want to acknowledge Tim for his choice of movie. I can only assume that there will be better discussions with this type of film, compared to Dude, Where’s My Car?. Anyway, on with my thoughts.
To me, Lolita seems to be a film that is brutally honest. I haven’t seen another film about the subject of pedophilia that paints such a paradoxally forgiving and unforgiving portrayal of its characters.
There seems to be much discussion about who exactly is the victim. In my humble opinion, all of them are in one way or another. Humbert is a victim of tragic circumstance and an inability to escape the past. I can relate a certain extent with him, because for me, it is difficult sometimes not to be nostalgic or melancholy, especially about my first ‘true’ love. I would think that it is common for anyone who has reached that certain point in life, when youth starts to become memory, and the remembrances of youth become more and more romantic. Maybe Humbert would have been all look, and no touch, if Dolores hadn’t kept rubbing her body all over him, and the passionate kiss that pushed him into pure carnal lust disguised as love. However, Dolores didn’t make him a victim either. He himself did with his own desires.
Dolores has been seen as a victim, as well as a girl that deserved what she got. I see her more as a victim. Yes, it was her who originally seduced Humbert when vying for supremacy with her Mother. I could easily see her in a modern day setting, sitting in a chair on the set at Jerry Springer, flipping the audience off all the while screaming, “What-evah, I do what I waon!”. She is not the classical good girl in any sense of the word, but she is still a girl. No matter how sexually active she is, or how hard she works her seductions, she is still a kid. She has at her disposal, perhaps the most powerful of all weapons (ask any Wicca), and she doesn’t and can’t understand all the ramifications of using it improperly. And does she ever do that. When she seduces Humbert, she seems to be thinking that he is nothing more than a tool to use at her discretion. She doesn’t show any remorse at all that Humbert is all tied up in knots. Is he a real human being with all of its wide range of emotions to her? Or is he nothing more than a fly in her web? Hell, she’s not evil. Just callous and unfeeling most of the time. Then again, her Father’s dead and her Mother’s a drunk, maybe she was a victim a long, long, time before hand. I feel most sorry for her. After her Mother’s death, there was only one weapon she had available to her to use combating the horror of her life. We see that eventually, she is in horror about everything. First, she needs to recover from her Mother’s death, and there’s only one person around to help her with it. For her, that’s all it is. Sex is used more for comfort than for recreation. Humbert is completely oblivious, because he never sees her as a real human being with all of its wide range of emotions either. He thinks she’s in love with him, and all his dreams have come true. He is young again. When she eventually leaves Humbert, I think it’s more of an escape, and of course, Humbert sees it as an abduction. Just another way to be haunted I suppose, but obviously the end of any ability of reasoning as far as Humbert is concerned. The ending illustrates that point quite perfectly. Dolores has moved on, thank goodness, but we know nothing more about her than that really.
The message that I received from the movie is a very poignant one. Age and experience does not necessitate an understanding and/or ability to decipher what appears as love. The young and in-experienced have even less of a chance. Put the two together…
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

It was beauty killed the beast.
Originally posted by LordSlaytan
There seems to be much discussion about who exactly is the victim. In my humble opinion, all of them are in one way or another. Humbert is a victim of tragic circumstance and an inability to escape the past.
Kong agrees that Humbert is the victim of an unfortunate childhood fate, but Humbert realizes he has a problem and chooses to not to seek help.

Dolores has been seen as a victim, as well as a girl that deserved what she got. I see her more as a victim. Yes, it was her who originally seduced Humbert when vying for supremacy with her Mother. I could easily see her in a modern day setting, sitting in a chair on the set at Jerry Springer, flipping the audience off all the while screaming, “What-evah, I do what I waon!”. She is not the classical good girl in any sense of the word, but she is still a girl.
This is how Humbert sees her, and how he describes her to us. We have to realize that this is a man who is sexually aroused and imfatuated by girls between the ages of 9-14. He sees her as a nymphette, and therefore her sole existence revolves around her sexuality. It's no wonder that he depicts her to us as nothing more than a sexual creature. Does anyone actually doubt that Lolita had other interests in life? Humbert just wasn't interested in those things, and either didn't percieve them or didn't feel the need to pass along the information to us.

Dolores has moved on, thank goodness, but we know nothing more about her than that really.
You know she died right?

There is an interesting dichotomy that Kong realized while contemplating a response to your post. Both Lolita, and Humbert were set upon the course to their demise by the lovers from their youth. Humbert's demise begins from the loss of the lover from his youth; Lolita's begins from her attainment of a lover in her youth. A simple yet interesting dichotomy. Kong is surprised he didn't notice it before.

I had forgotten about her dying, it's been a number of years since I've seen it. I understand that Dolores is seen through Humbert's eyes, but that is the only information given us.
Your epiphany is right on, man. I hadn't thought of it like that either.

I understand that Dolores is seen through Humbert's eyes, but that is the only information given us.
True, but recognizing the fact that all of the information comes from Humbert allows us to better judge that info. Kong just doesn't want people to assume that we got a full and unbiased portrayal of Lolita. We have to balance what we are given, and try to infer other things if we want to attempt at having a better understanding of her. Thinking that she was a seductress who was asking for it all along is exactly what Humbert wants us to believe. Anyways, Kong is probably preaching to the choir so he'll just shut-up now.

Originally posted by nebbit
I'm in on this what movie is next?
Good question.

Assuming it's my turn to choose, I choose The Breakfast Club. Hopefully, enough people haven't seen it yet.

so what's the official date of review for The Breakfast Club...next Sunday 11 May???

I See You When You're Sleeping
Good choice, I own the movie.

I do think you shouldn't have the discussion within this thread. Keep the discussion in it's own thread and just provide a link to the thread in this thread. That way we can keep discussing a movie without interception.

Also r3, edit your first post to add the members and next movie so we know whose in line to be next sort of thing.

You could put a picture of the movie in question in the first post! How organized would that be???

thanks

My life isn't written very well.
Okay, so far I have these members scheduled to discuss The Breakfast Clubon Sunday, May 11th.

Kong
MinionTv
nebbit
n7of9
r3port3r66
verbal penguin

I'll assume that those who originally signed up, but did not get a chance to watch Lolita still might want to participate in this film. But since Kong did watch and discuss Lolita he chooses next no matter what. If you would like to discuss Breakfast Club please post saying you would like to. I will add your name to the list above.

Minion, I'm not sure how to add a link to another thread inside an existing one. But, we can start a new thread for each movie. Does anyone else have any feedback about not discussing the movie here, instead, making an new thread?

IMBd link:
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0088847
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	11m.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	1051  

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

r3, to make a link to another thread you just copy the url from the top into your http link. I'll do it when the breakfast club thread gets made.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	break.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1052  

I must become Caligari..!
My sister owns it so i will be able to watch it!
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

I have been to 5 video stores in Wollongong and not one has the Breakfast Club, Help time is running out, I did see it years ago so I was looking forward to view it again,

Now calm down breathe deeply into the paper bag Breathe in 2 3 out 2 3 etc etc

how about naming all the discussions spurred via this thread as

Movie Club: Breakfast Club

and the next one after that

Movie Club: Blah Blah

in the General Movie Discussion forum??

this original thread can contain all the info on what movie is next, who chooses next, and links to the Movie Club discussion threads...whacha think??

sorry you can't find it nebbit...looks the Gong just isn't living in the 80's anymore

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
Hello, my fellow movie clubbers, i still want to participate in this club, but i won't have access to a computer on Sunday. But i can try to get my input in ASAP, is that ok.

BTW, i really think this is a great idea

Plus a lady fan of PimpDaShizzle V2.0 and Most importantly JRS

Never fear, your Sexy Celebrity is here.

I would like to discuss "The Breakfast Club" on May 11th because I happen to own this film. (and btw, "Sixteen Candles" is the best John Hughes movie, hands up).

Jason

Actually the best john Hughes movie is 'Planes , Trains and Automobiles' for your information.

Originally posted by n7of9
how about naming all the discussions spurred via this thread as

Movie Club: Breakfast Club

and the next one after that

Movie Club: Blah Blah

in the General Movie Discussion forum??

this original thread can contain all the info on what movie is next, who chooses next, and links to the Movie Club discussion threads...whacha think??

sorry you can't find it nebbit...looks the Gong just isn't living in the 80's anymore
You are so right, Yes the gong has just moved on to the nineties hoping to catch up with 2000's in a few years.

love your new avatar really cool, as you see I still don't have one some thing wrong with Laptop even the computer guy couldn't do it, next time he is over I will get him to have another go.

Hopefully I will be able to watch the next chosen movie.