Punch Drunk Love

→ in
Tools    

A novel adaptation.
Fantastic.
I'm truly going to try and post a full review of this one, because it's definitely worthy of one.

I liked it a lot too.

I enjoyed it, after all P.T. Anderson is the most talented director still working.
Yeah fine, Scorsese is the greatest, but his last few films have really lost that Midas touch.
One thing I was upset about with "Punch-Drunk", was the idea of not using a Superscope lens again. In his previous films that lens has pulled off miracles.
The film stock came across as almost a 16mm. I guess P.T. really lowered the budget down to a rock bottom partially because of Kevin Smith's bitching about Magnolia's budget.

All and all, an interesting film.

Holden is gonna hate me, but screw it:

Best film of the year. Glorious.

It was beauty killed the beast.
Kong loved Punch-Drunk Love. A vibrant, rich, beautiful, and satisfying romantic comedy with a razor sharp gritty edge. It's isn't the best of 2002, but it is somewhere on Kong's 2002 Top Ten.

I like Adam Sandler, but not here. Slow movie and too emotional music...
I had a severe headache (same happend during Magnolia), and after it was over I felt empty, like nothing really happend.

Can any of you guys tell me specifically what you liked about this movie, except for the stylistic directing?

Thanks.

It was beauty killed the beast.
Originally posted by verbal penguin
Can any of you guys tell me specifically what you liked about this movie, except for the stylistic directing?
It's very funny. It celebrates a romantic relationship that doesn't fit the Hollywood movie standard. It ends happily while turning romantic comedy conventions on their head. The acting was very good. Kong enjoyed the music alot; PTA is very good at choosing his soundtracks. Did Kong mention this film is a laugh riot?

Do you know my poetry?
I just loved this movie, I thought it was a masterpiece. It was definately my favorite movie of 2002, I just dont get why Sandler will stop with Comedy and do more movies like these. This is also a great romantic movie, it really made me care about the characters. This is probably my favorite Hoffman, Watson, and Sandler movie.

This was my favorite movie of 2002. What I liked most about it is that it redeemed Adam Sandler. I personally am not a fan of his comedy movies, but I have always believed in his talent. Yet, that was not the only thing I liked. I liked the visual artistry added into the film. I liked the film and lighting they used to give it it’s own original look. I liked Emily Watson and the believable way she portrayed herself in an almost unbelievable love affair. I liked the music used, especially the song, “He needs me”. But there is something I love about this film and that is its completely unique story itself. To say it is an unconventional love story is an understatement. Anderson gave a person who would be alone his whole life a chance. Many men can relate to a smaller scale and because of that, we can root for him. Wonderful, beautiful, and amazing.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

yipee. first post. this was one great movie. i like how he just like flips out and go's profanity-happy and throws stuff at glass doors and stuff. kind of reminds me of myself.

I just watched this for the first time and I gotta say I loved it. Adam Sandler usualy annoys the hell outta me but his performance was great in this. I really felt like I connected to his chatacter and really felt bad for him and super happy whenever he got his vengience on either his sisters or the matress man. This movie really captivated me and my only regret is that I took so long to watch it.

I am not a fan of Adam Sandler, i did like this movie, not one i want to watch over and over

A very well-done film. The use of colors was absolutely brilliant.

Randomly visiting for now
Yeah I thought the use of sound was brilliant too combined with the excellent cinematography. I loved the shots of when he loses it and how the sounds of the scene go funny/distorted right before he rages. It pushes a real sense of non-reality based thinking where the rage just takes him over. Also the story was appealing but a little too intense for most viewers, having said that I love intense movies so it was right up my alley.

This movie was so original and it's good to see an actor like Sandler taking on roles that he's not accustomed to.

Adam sandler is a great actor, but in this movie his performance was not his best. I only watched the first 30 minutes and I wanted to fall asleep. I just hope he doesn't make another one like this in the future.

Punch Drunk Love is PTA's only bad movie IMO. I came into the movie with high expectations, and the first act set up the movie with a lot of potential only to let us down completely. The film can't decide what genre it is, as it recklessly swerves from drama to comedy to romance and back. Adam Sandler's performance was good, but the relationship that develops between him and his completely ordinary girl is entirely unconvincing and not believable in the least bit. The plot point with Sandler going all the way to Hoffman's store to confront him is not believable either, as I would have expected a strongman who runs a phone sex op to swiftly put someone like Sandler with Social Anxiety Disorder in his place.

There were just too many flaws in this movie, and I walked away from it completely disappointed and uninterested.

Punch Drunk Love is PTA's only bad movie IMO. I came into the movie with high expectations, and the first act set up the movie with a lot of potential only to let us down completely. The film can't decide what genre it is, as it recklessly swerves from drama to comedy to romance and back.
I dunno, I never had a problem with genre bending, especially because Anderson never sticks to one in the first place, so I was accustomed, but as far as it not being believable, is the concept of surreal too far-fetched? Two people who both need companionship is all it takes, the fact that they're both weird is what made the film interesting.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I love this movie a lot. A movie doesn't have to limit itself to one genre as long as it hits all the right notes in each one. As far as I am concerned Punch-Drunk is successful in each genre it falls into.

I love their relationship. I think Lena is exactly the girl who would fall for Barry.

As for Barry confronting Hoffman's character, Barry is able to do that now because he is in love. He has a power in him he didn't have before. I think that is more to the point than anything being realistic or not.