Stylised Directing Effects

Tools    

One of the main reasons that I'm into movies is my interest in directing.

Specifically, I like non-conventional directing. I mean, Kubrick and Speilberg, both do their job just fine. But you always know what to expect from them...

So what unconventional directing styles do you like? Personally, I adore Fincher's work (Fight Club, Panic Room), and Sam Mendes (American Beauty) has definitely made me smile.

People usually come up with Paul Anderson (Magnolia, Punch Drunk Love), but his stuff actually causes me a headache. This might actually mean that he has some great talent, but still I can't recommend him.

Put me in your pocket...
I'm not sure what you're looking for, and if you'd consider this unconventional.....but director Kar-wai Wong did a wonderful job with In the Mood for Love (2000). There were scenes that were really quite beautiful.

A novel adaptation.
Ehhhhhh....
Specifically, I like non-conventional directing.
You mean unconventional, and really, who's goiung to post in that they love conventional directing.
Anyways. People seem to underestimate the DP, or cinematographers influence on the way a film looks. Sure a director brings the whole project together, but it's more an amalgamation of all these people's efforts.

In this sense, the directors you've listed are more connected than you may think; specifically by the Hall family.
Conrad W. Hall jr. worked closely with Dacid Fincher on all of his feature length productions, and worked as cinematographer on Fincher's latest film, Panic Room.

His Father, the late great Conrad L. Hall, who is/was probably the most famous cinematographer of all time, worked extremely closely with director Sam Mendes on both of his films. The man served as an on set mentor, and according to some, practically co-directed both pieces of work.

So maybe you should shop around for some of the movies they've worked on. Or really, just Conrad Sr., as his son has sure done a lot of terrible pieces of cinema.

Hmm... interesting info, Herod.

I've seen Sam Mendes's Road To Perdition last night, and the cinematography is brilliant there. I'm definitely going to check those Conrad L. Hall films you recommended out.

What does the director of photography do, by the way?

The DP, or cinematographer, works with lighting, filters and lenses to create the look of the film. The DP collaborates with the director as to what the visuals will convey. Many DPs also operate cameras of course, but they aren't really "cameramen" per se, their duties are much more complex than that.

If you want to learn more about the history of the craft and see a myriad of the amazing visuals DPs create, see the excellent documentary Visions of Light: The Art of Cinematography (1992). It includes interviews with generations of DPs, including modern masters such as James Wong Howe, Conrad Hall and Vilmos Zsigmond.

If you want to check out some of Connie Hall's best and most influential work, you must see Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid (1969), Cool Hand Luke (1967), Marathon Man (1976), In Cold Blood (1997) and American Beauty (1999) ASAP. Of course, it is absolutely ESSENTIAL that you find letterboxed copies (or, even better, see 'em in the cinema some day for a true treat).

Also, see THIS thread where we talked about Conrad Hall's brilliant career after his passing in January.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra