My most memorable movie going experience.

Tools    

This was not a boating accident
Right,i need to set the scene so you can get the gist of this experience and what it means to me. And try not to reveal to much personal stuff about myself. So in a nutshell,me and my mom don't get on to well. There,scene set....
When i was very young and in my purest form(3 and a half).My mom took me to see Star Wars:A New Hope. There is only to 2 things i remember about that day. The Tie-Fighters scaring the snot out of me at the end. And the fact that my mom had to read every bit of writing that came on screen to me.
So,years later The Phantom Menace is released. And i decide to take my mom to see it. So there i am,sat in quiet excitement waiting for the Star Wars theme to begin. The writing starts to scroll up the screen and my mom leans in to me and whispers " At least i haven't gotta read it to you this time!" This memory will always stay with me and when think about it, it always makes me smile. I suppose that's the beauty of film...
So there's my story. Lame, i know. But i just wanted to share it with you all.

I am half agony, half hope.
Thanks for sharing, Jamie. That's a nice memory to have.

In a similar vein, I remember begging my mom to take me to see Saturday Night Fever because I was only 12 when it came out and it was rated R. She finally relented and took me, and ended up letting 2 other young teens from the movie line outside tag along inside with us since they didn't have an adult with them. I remember her being embarrassed by the scene where John Travolta rolls out of bed in his undies. She told me after that she was sorry she took me to see it because of the sex and suicide, but I'll always think she's cool because she did. Mom's rock.

Johann von Goethe

The most memorable movie going experience that I've ever had was when my brother and I went to see POTC2, and a woman was drunk, high, smoking, and having a very loud telephone conversation in the middle of the movie. Staff asked her to leave twice, and then they called the police. That's not even the worse part...her children were with her.

Batman 89' was a great experience. I was a sophmore in highschool, won tickets to the premiere and took my best buddy. It was awesome.

Spider-Man 3

It was my summer of '69, rebellion was in the air and me and "the lads" stayed out the entire day and ended up talking to some beautiful girls by the beach at dusk. Then my mam shouted at me cause she thought I was "messin around with girls" and I was totally like

"Worth it"

My most memorable movie experience was:

Although i am 1 of 3 children my parents took me only to the movies. In those days it was a big thing to go at night and people got dressed up we went to my favourite Theatre (the Regent) it is beautiful very 50's, when the lights were lowered the ceiling looks like stars. We sat upstairs the most expensive and posh part of the theatre. I had a box of Maltesers
to myself I felt so grown up and special.

When my daughter was just a toddler, I took her to see a rerelease of Disney's Snow White. To prepare her for it, I read her the story and talked to her about all the things we were going to see and told her not to be frightened by the Evil Queen. So we get to the movie, and it's packed with kids and she's all excited and talking about what a great movie we were going to see. Then they dim the lights and start showing all the trailers and cartoons, and we're sitting there in the dark with her in my lap so she can see the screen. And just as they start running the feature film, she goes fast asleep! Didn't even make it through the opening credits! So I sat there holding my sleeping daughter all through the movie. She never saw a single scene of it!

Some years later, I took my wife and oldest son to see a theater showing of Gone With the Wind. I don't know how old my son was at the time--probably about 2--but he was bigger--and heavier--than his sister had been. And again, by the time the opening credits run, he's sitting on my knee fast asleep. Whereas Snow White was a fairly brief film, GWTW in its fully restored mode, complete with intermission, is damn near as long as the Civil War itself! Before the meat could cool at the Wilkes' barbecue, I was already getting leg cramps and was fidgeting in search of a more comfortable position. By the time they burned Atlanta, one leg was numb and the other was aching. And when Rhett finanally announced he didn't give a damn, Scarlett wasn't the only one with tear-filled eyes. When I finally got on my feet and headed for the exit, I was limping worse than any of the foot-sore Confederate soldiers walking home from the war.

Some years later, I took my wife and oldest son to see a theater showing of Gone With the Wind. I don't know how old my son was at the time--probably about 2--but he was bigger--and heavier--than his sister had been. And again, by the time the opening credits run, he's sitting on my knee fast asleep. Whereas Snow White was a fairly brief film, GWTW in its fully restored mode, complete with intermission, is damn near as long as the Civil War itself! Before the meat could cool at the Wilkes' barbecue, I was already getting leg cramps and was fidgeting in search of a more comfortable position. By the time they burned Atlanta, one leg was numb and the other was aching. And when Rhett finanally announced he didn't give a damn, Scarlett wasn't the only one with tear-filled eyes. When I finally got on my feet and headed for the exit, I was limping worse than any of the foot-sore Confederate soldiers walking home from the war.

Serves you right for taking a 2 year old to see GWTW...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Spider-Man 3

It was my summer of '69, rebellion was in the air and me and "the lads" stayed out the entire day and ended up talking to some beautiful girls by the beach at dusk. Then my mam shouted at me cause she thought I was "messin around with girls" and I was totally like

"Worth it"
Reminds me of a hot summer night at a drive-in movie in East Texas when I was watching with one eye John Wayne leading a cavalry charge (She Wore a Yellow Ribbon?) over the shoulder of this buxom teenage blonde I was kissing!

Serves you right for taking a 2 year old to see GWTW...
Hey, it was family! I didn't think he'd see much of it, but I forgot until too late how heavy a limp 2-year-old could be.

A system of cells interlinked
So....I thought I had replied to this... Didn't another thread like this just appear a week or two ago?

aww some lovely stories here. Nebbs, my dad used to take me to the cinema and we'd have a box of Maltesers too, and get dressed up and being my dad we'd have to stand up for the whole of God Save the Queen played at the end of every performance in those days, instead of just leaving like most people

My most memorable cinema experience was during Saturday morning pictures - you have those in the States too? Great times, but this one Saturday when I was eight my mate and me went out to the toilets halfway through and running to go back in I tripped and fell headfirst into the corner of a marble column and cut open my forehead and lip. Blacking out for a few seconds I woke up to blood gushing down my face and the manager leaning over me saying 'quick get some towels this kid's bleeding like a stuck pig'.

I couldn't get over the affront and couldn't understand why my mum didn't say anything to him, thinking back it was possibly cos she was aghast at the state of me when she came rushing over from home! I've still got the scar on my forehead and we still laugh in my family about me being called a stuck pig. I was more pissed off by that then the pain of all the stitches!

aww some lovely stories here. Nebbs, my dad used to take me to the cinema and we'd have a box of Maltesers too, and get dressed up and being my dad we'd have to stand up for the whole of God Save the Queen played at the end of every performance in those days, instead of just leaving like most people

My most memorable cinema experience was during Saturday morning pictures - you have those in the States too? Great times, but this one Saturday when I was eight my mate and me went out to the toilets halfway through and running to go back in I tripped and fell headfirst into the corner of a marble column and cut open my forehead and lip. Blacking out for a few seconds I woke up to blood gushing down my face and the manager leaning over me saying 'quick get some towels this kid's bleeding like a stuck pig'.

I couldn't get over the affront and couldn't understand why my mum didn't say anything to him, thinking back it was possibly cos she was aghast at the state of me when she came rushing over from home! I've still got the scar on my forehead and we still laugh in my family about me being called a stuck pig. I was more pissed off by that then the pain of all the stitches!
Maybe the theater manager was a transplanted good ol' southern boy from the States where "bleedin' like a stuck pig" is a common expression (or maybe it comes from India via the British Army who I'm told use to hunt wild pigs from horseback using lances.) Anyway, it just means that you're bleeding badly--he wasn't calling you a pig at all.

Maybe the theater manager was a transplanted good ol' southern boy from the States where "bleedin' like a stuck pig" is a common expression (or maybe it comes from India via the British Army who I'm told use to hunt wild pigs from horseback using lances.) Anyway, it just means that you're bleeding badly--he wasn't calling you a pig at all.
lol I know, it's an expression over here too, it's just that when you're only 8 you don't know these things

Fat chicks need love too
I'd honestly have to say anytime I went on a date, because that hasn't happened in about three years now.. those days were very memorable

Yeah, I have many of those that I could rant for years about, I love hearing others though.....

I've got two. The first was when i saw Superbad in theaters. I've never been in a theater with so much laughter before! It was great to see everyone laughing at once and not like with most "funny" movies once a scene or something, this was like once every 30 seconds or something! It was a lot of fun!

The second was the first time i saw No Country For Old Men. The awkward silence at the end of the film when people didnt know if it was over or not was priceless. Strange, but memorable none-the-less :P

He's called Tequila. He's a tough cop.
-Seeing episode 1 in Imax= EPIC!

-Waiting in line for episode III and Return of the king

-Seeing 300 before it was cool, it was so lound and in your face, it was quite awesome!

Ask me a question, any question: Grill a MoFo: Dill-Man

Colour out of Time
Last night I had the absolute pleasure of attending a screening of Nosferatu, a silent movie produced in 1922 at the local independant cinema. It is the first movie to portray the vampire and was very closely based on Bram Stoker's Dracula. The movie itself is a fantastic piece of historical cinema, with wonderful scenery and also a capture of a time that was. I recall a scene of 2 rivermen steering a raft down a rapid filled river and a groom lying down on the front yard of a house waiting patiently for the owner to leave and mount up.

What made it a 'memerable' experience was that it was accompanied by a pianist, which transformed the whole movie going experience.

Gerhard Gruber is a composer and pianist from Austria who tours the world with a number of classic silent films. I felt as if I'd time warped back to the 1920's to watch this film. The film lasted approx 1 hour 20 minutes and Gerhard created a wonderful soundscape which fitted perfectly with the drama and emotion of the movie. I was tempted to shake his hand afterwards, but thought better as I'm sure that the tendons of his hands had had enough exercise

The theatre was surprisingly packed out, so much so that our group of 5 had to split to find seating. Usually a movie going experience is one of a silent audience (except a comedy), however watching this masterpiece I found myself laughing, eeking, ooohing and generaly vocalising sympathetic noises with the on-screen characters and their predicaments.

In closing, the screening became a theatrical piece and I would recommend to anyone to see a silent film with piano accompanyment.

Cheers