Movie Tab II

Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Everything Is Illuminated - lovely little film that made me laugh a lot. A bit confusing, though.

Million Dollar Baby - Lovely film about finding family when the original one doesn't work... great story, but about 45 min were really uncomfortable to watch. Excellent performances.

Brokeback Mountain - good, not great. It seemed to me that Heath Ledger was doing his Slingblade impression throughout, which I found a bit comical. Good as a cautionary tale of what happens to people in a repressive society.

stranger then a drunken mime
All Quiet one the Western Front: C+

Follows the book well, but has terrible acting.

Originally Posted by ash_is_the_gal
Hostel - Quentin, what in gods name were you thinking? 2/5

Probably something along the lines of, i'll slap my name in posters so the public might think i actually make films instead of just talking about making them.

You do know "Quentin Tarantino presents..." isn't the same as "....directed by Quentin Tarantino"

there's a frog in my snake oil
The 13th Warrior - I've got a soft spot for this film - coz i weathered a stranded night by sleeping through several sittings of it . It's strong points are still strong tho - the recreation of a Viking outpost works well - and the myth-weaving and imminant-horror-squeezing provide a fair few highlights. The rest is, well, just about passable, and only periodically laughable. The tone dips and flips, but when it works, it's involving.

Originally Posted by Golgot
The 13th Warrior
For me the first half of this film was great.

The Corpse Bride 3.5/5
Good to watch but missing something. It eludes me what exactly though. Length perhaps?

Originally Posted by Revenant
For me the first half of this film was great.
I remember feeling the same, but this time round i was happy to be driven on to the caves and not mind the change [altho i should admit i didn't see the finale, coz my sis barreled in and insisted on watching something even more hindbrain-beguiling ]

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Match Point

Meh. Heavy tone, but after the beginning until the end the what little plot there was just seemed to be there for the need to justify the ending and fulfill that theme that's introduced in the opening shots of the film, by a voiceover narration which oddly never resurfaced. I'm not one that requires a strong plot in every movie, but what's there in place of the plot better be damned interesting. This film seemed like it was supposed to be character-driven, but the characters were no more than vague sketches. I admit, it kept my attention, because I was always waiting for something more substantial to come along and enhance things.

Just watched MI:III. I enjoyed it very much actually. As much if not more than the first. (7.5/10)

The People's Republic of Clogher
The Liam, The Bitch And The Floorshow (2005, Andrew Adamson)

2.5/5

Big Neeson must be getting a bit sick of playing the 'tragic mentor' but it pays the mortgage, I suppose. Tilda Swinton chews the (CG) scenery pretty well, as is her wont. The kids were a mixed bag (especially the guy who's main casting attribute seemed to be 'looking a wee bit like Prince William') and the effects were ok.

Completely absent, for me anyway, was any sort of a sense of wonder. I'd probably need to transport myself back to being 9 years old again (when I first read the book) for that to happen.

It's not a giraffe, it's a lion!

Who says I can't get punchlines right?

history *is* moralizing
Dear Wendy, 2004, wow wow, so original idea and "special effects" ideas (reminding me of my beloved comics), real real real real real good! Lars Von Trier's the writer alright, but this one is not typical for him either. strongly recommended!

ray
9/10
ray charles was the man

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Everything Is Illuminated - lovely little film that made me laugh a lot. A bit confusing, though.

Million Dollar Baby - Lovely film about finding family when the original one doesn't work... great story, but about 45 min were really uncomfortable to watch. Excellent performances.

Brokeback Mountain - good, not great. It seemed to me that Heath Ledger was doing his Slingblade impression throughout, which I found a bit comical. Good as a cautionary tale of what happens to people in a repressive society.
That is some seriously heavy viewing there Sammy. Kudos. Although theyre all great films, well i enjoyed them all very much. However they also all made me cry like a dirty little girl.

I agree with you about Heath in Brokeback though. I was way more impressed with Mr unpronouncable though, his performance was much more powerful. Then again i guess the OscarBrain just preffered Heaths broody frowning mumbling acting.

thanks for the tip on everything is illuminated, was curious about it...

just saw king of hearts with added scenes...great little film made even better by the inclusion of aforementioned scenes...worth a look..

"Thumbsucker"

Damn did this movie suck. I expected a comedy and got a dragged out drama.

A Moment of Innocence - An Iranian director meets the policeman he stabbed 20 years ago during revolutionary turmoil. They make a film together, each taking a camera and filming a version of their younger selves.
It's a dramatisation. It's a revisitation. It's an exploration. It's all of those things and more. Yet, as one iMDB reviewer put it, everything is presented with a surreally accesible lightness of touch - a daily familiarity which belies the serious undercurrents.
It's both a youthful and a mature film in many ways. The sweetly-wrapped resolution is wonderful, but it does still leave you wondering exactly how this film-meets-fact journey was 'exposed'...

(What i mean by that is, i'd love to see some solid behind-the-scenes chat on how much of this was planned and 'real', on behalf of the old combatants - who also star in the film)

A system of cells interlinked
Musa (The Warrior) - (Kim, 2001) - Walking the same path as films like Hero and House of Flying Daggers, this 2001 period piece starring the lovely Ziyi Zhang lacked the depth of character of the other films. The film is shot well, but the shots don't possess the narrative elegance of the more popular stuff from the genre. It is the lesser known film for a reason. Still an enjoyable watch, if just for the little cutie...