Most thought provoking movies

Tools    

Success is the only Earthly judge..
I didn't get time to read through all of the list but certainly hope fight club was on there...As it shows just how much power the people hold...which when you think about it well then you are thinking a thought within a thought ( kinda makes ya think don't it )...

I am a social psychology student researching about the conflict between personal freedoms vs. communal rights. This movie has produced a great deal of conflict in my community. There has been protesters in front of the movie theater and at the high school trying to get the movie removed from the theater. Incidently, they have succeeded in their cause. My question is "How do you feel about this movie and do you think that having the movie in the theater violates your personal rights as a heterosexual individual?" Also, as a homosexual individual, do you feel that your right to see the movie has been violated because others have been pressuring the theaters to remove the movie from the screen? Please post your feedback. This is not meant to be a stab at anyone. I am neutral in the subject and need to hear from both sides to make a complete analysis of the conflict. Thank you for your feedback.

Dionne

dionnel- you might want to create a new thread for your question. It's a good one, but will probably get more attention on its own.

Some of my favortie 'thought provoking' movies: 'Hotel Rwanda', 'Motorcycle Diaries, (Well, kinda.) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

You're right. It would get more attention on its own. Unfortunately, I have to post 25 replys before I can create a new thread. This makes 2. My paper is due now in less than a week. No time.

Originally Posted by Zeiken
dionnel- you might want to create a new thread for your question. It's a good one, but will probably get more attention on its own.

Some of my favortie 'thought provoking' movies: 'Hotel Rwanda', 'Motorcycle Diaries, (Well, kinda.) [i]Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

The Time machine "If she doesn't die he doesn't invent the time machine and so cannot save her" Paradox anyone? Butterfly effect especially when you work out his father did the same thing to make sure he was born (Which he wasn't supposed to)

Great thread. Cant contribute though because no overwhelmingly thought provoking movies are coming to mind. Thanks though, you guys talked about some movies I've never seen or heard about before and now I'm determined to see them.

The most recent movie I saw that provoked any thought from me was Lord of War. When you think about all the guns in the world, it is truly crazy.

Oddly enough I found "The Notebook" very thought provoking when I got to thinking about how I would feel in their eventual position.

there are three movies that are so true and makes you think twice about everything from killing a bug to going to the bathroom and these movies everyone should see and they should see them twice because the info is so overwhelming and they are V for Vendetta, Hotel Rwanda, Crash.

-luke

Neutral Milk Hotel
Best Thought Provoking Movies:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spottless Mind
Donnie Darko
I Heart Huckabees
Crash
Forrest Gump
Fight Club
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

stranger then a drunken mime
Yes, after watching eternal sunshine of the spottless mind I agree...

also.. Being John Malkavich.. just thinking, what if that does happen?

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
21 grams,the assassination of richard nixon,donnie darko,american beauty,mullholland drive

I haven't gone through all the posts, but I haven't seen Waking Life anywhere...that movie just blew me away...the topics and opinions shared by the characters in the film had my mind working like no other film has

well glad you mentioned V for Vendetta .. yes people see it as an action flick but it represents so much more.

Also Lord of War .. not so much for the guns .. but his obsession to "win" be it women, or business competition .. but what was interesting was that when he did possess what he wanted it wasn;t enough..

Memento, Irreversible, Subterra,

anyway thats my list ..

Hopefully this doesn't make me sound racist and I am not, but American History X really made me rethink the cultural and racial aspects of society today. Beyond what people, whether black, white, or any other race think of the movie, I feel that it should be given some respect. American History X opened up the doors to mainstream racial movies and nothing before it was as blunt, straightforward, and painfully true as this one.

The film opened many true and statistical points that have enough substanciality to make me rethink America from a social, cultural, economical, and political standpoint, even though I am not racist. But many people think that American History X shows only the negativitys of the black and Hispanic races. People also think that the movie is strictly biased toward the White race. This is so untrue. The film displays the good and bad from both the White Race and the Black race. The biggest explosive point in the film is that being racist proves, changes, and is worth nothing at all.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
yeah,americn history x too, reqiuem for a dream,garden state,fight club,crash, the game

Todd Solondz...his films leave me questioning my morals. How can I laugh... and I laugh so heartily.

Other films which come to mind - Kieslowski's a short film about killing - part of Dekalog - Dekalog full stop.

The sea inside.