Movie Forums Top 100 War Movies - Group Watch

→ in
Tools    

Le Silence De La Mer

-

I was glad Kanal was picked because I was already planning on watching it. Now I'm glad this was picked because it wasn't on my radar. I like the director, though not as much as most people. I like him a little bit more now, and a lot of it has to do with this not being a film that shouts Melville. It was different, and in a great way. It's a rare war film that's full of elegance and tenderness. The three leads were all great, and I found it impressive how the niece had the same look on her face for the whole film yet emoted a variety of feelings like contempt, frustration, longing, and sympathy. The uncle was older and wiser and his expression showed that. It wouldn't be a proper war film with some power, and when the soldier learned of the atrocities while the camera zoomed in on the picture of Hitler, well that was a great scene. I liked everything about this.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I found Le Silence de la Mer oddly familiar at times. I don't think I've watched it before and forgotten it, but who knows?!

Nicole Stephane (from Les Enfants Terribles) is good in this, conveying so much without a word and barely even a flicker of expression.

There was something mesmerising about the silence that was such an interesting way to show the power of Werner - often standing, so physically taller, and always talking, imposing his ideas - but also the power of their silent resistance and, in the end, how his words turn out to be folly, empty.

I liked the bits with voiceover much less. I thought it felt in some ways much older than 1949. Werner's first appearance and the monstrous close up of his face looked like something out of The Cabinet of Dr Caligari.

I don't know if it will make my list, but a good film all the same.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The Bridge (1959, Bernhard Wicki)
An anti-war masterpiece! Some good nominations here.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I gave The Bridge
and mentioned it in CR's recommendation thread. The young cast makes it all the more powerful and it has a great finale. It's a contender for my ballot.

An anti-war masterpiece! Some good nominations here.
Yeah, the general idea of these threads is to nominate films which not too many people have seen. For instance, everyone has heard of Saving Private Ryan and knows it will make the countdown, but if you want to increase the odds of an obscure film making the countdown, nominating it in this thread might be a good way to increase its odds of doing so.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Yeah, the general idea of these threads is to nominate films which not too many people have seen.

Although it looks like everyone has seen The Bridge so far so I obviously didn't go obscure enough!

Yeah, the general idea of these threads is to nominate films which not too many people have seen. For instance, everyone has heard of Saving Private Ryan and knows it will make the countdown, but if you want to increase the odds of an obscure film making the countdown, nominating it in this thread might be a good way to increase its odds of doing so.
I've been ranking my brain trying to find a good war film that most haven't seen. I can think of plenty of good war films but many are at least semi common to the average MoFo.

It would help if everyone posted their Letterboxd account name so we could check to see what's been watched.

Although it looks like everyone has seen The Bridge so far so I obviously didn't go obscure enough!
I haven't seen it, but I do have the movie ready to be watched as Cricket mentioned it on my Spam my war ballot thread. Looks like a great choice!

I've been ranking my brain trying to find a good war film that most haven't seen. I can think of plenty of good war films but many are at least semi common to the average MoFo.

It would help if everyone posted their Letterboxd account name so we could check to see what's been watched.
I have my LB account linked as my signature, though for some reason, it only shows up under a few of my posts. Here it is though:

https://letterboxd.com/PopcornReviews0/

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Obscure enough for me. Pretty stoked since I always enjoy your films and with everyone else's praise should be an excellent film to see.
Already found a Criterion version on a favorite Russian streaming site WITH subtitles so I'm going to be checking it out today.