Post-Apocalypse

Tools    

What do you think is the best movie that takes place in a post-apocalyptic setting?

1. A Boy & His Dog (1975 - L.Q. Jones)
2. Delicatessen (1991 - Caro & Jeunet)
3 The Road Warrior (1981 - George Miller)
4. Le Dernier Combat (1983 - Luc Besson)
5. Six-String Samurai (1998 - Lance Mungia)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
12 Monkeys (Holden, no 12 Monkeys for you?)
Delicatessen
Road Warrior
Blade Runner
(Seems post apoc, everyone bailed offworld for some reason, certainly looks post apoc, and it's the best film ever, so it goes on the list )

I am looking to see A Boy and his Dog ....

Originally Posted by Sedai
12 Monkeys (Holden, no 12 Monkeys for you?)
Nope. So little of it takes place there, I think of it as chiefly a time travel movie with post-apocalyptic elements. It's a great film, I think the best Sci-Fi of the past fifteen years, but I wouldn't slot it in this category for purposes of a list.

And BladeRunner just plain isn't.

BEST PRE-APOCALYPTIC MOVIES
1. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964 - Kubrick)
2. Last Night (1998 - Don McKeller)
3. Miracle Mile (1888 - Steve de Jarnatt)

Blade Runner more of a dystopic setting then? I guess it depends on what one means by apocalyptic. THE apocalypse is strictly religious in nature, by the dictionary anyway, but we seem to have added some meaning as of late by attempting to attribute the term to a nuclear catastrophe. If we are using the loose definition, than apocalypse becomes synonymous with armageddon, which can be catagorized as a vast or decisive conflict. If in Blade Runner there was say, an economic armegeddon, we could attempt to hang the term post-apocalyptic on the film. Really, I don't have much background on what happened before the film, which means it's been far too long since I read Androids (hell, gotta be 15 years or more). Any background info on the film is appreciated...

So if the thread , while being called post-apocalyptic, means post nuclear catastrophe, than I am about as far off base as one can get listing Blade Runner. But if (the meaning is meant to be) just some grand world changing event, it appears something like that happened in BR to cause the vast changes we see, and the term can be applied. Did I mention I like Blade Runner

Rambling....

Anyway

Post Nuke:

The Road Warrior
Delicatessen

Deli needs to be released on DVD in the states please....

Damn Holden, you stole my #1. I want it and Don back...DAMNIT!!!!
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Just went in search of A Boy and his Dog again at lunch, with no luck again. Also tried to scare up Dr. Strangelove, which they didn't have either. I DID pick up Strange Days, which I think Slay had mentioned another time. Pre-Apoc to be sure....

Yup, Strange Days, now Holden is sure to squeeze off a few rounds from his film gatling for buying that one. The DVD being 7 bucks helped the choice as well...

Yeah, when I said post-Apocalypse I meant post-some kind of nuclear catastrophe.

Along with Holden's superb list I would add the underseen gem FINAL COMBAT, directed by Luc Besson & starring Jean Reno.

Though not post apocalyptic Peter Weir's THE LAST WAVE has some great food for thought

Originally Posted by Deckard
Along with Holden's superb list I would add the underseen gem FINAL COMBAT, directed by Luc Besson & starring Jean Reno.
Hey, good to see you posting, Deckard!

And Besson's Le Dernier Combat is on my list.

My Mistake "Holden"- as usual your list is faultless

Ive been away for a while but I should be visiting more regularly now, its nic to be back..............Thanks

Originally Posted by Sedai
Road Warrior ....
When you say ROAD WARRIOR is that the Mel Gibson movie Mad Max

"Reign of Fire" was a satisfactory film. I was a little disappointed with it though…

The Mad Max movies are the only good ones (The Road Warrior being the best).
"What you have lost will not be returned to you. It will always be lost. You're left with only your scars to mark the void. All you can choose to do is go on or not. But if you go on, it's knowing you carry your scars with you." -Charles Frazier

"I would kill someone in front of their own mama for a ten speed. And if anyone testifies against me I'll gouge their eyes out."

Originally Posted by Fall-from-Grace
The Mad Max movies are the only good ones (The Road Warrior being the best).
So you've seen A Boy & His Dog and Delicatessen? And you think Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome is a better film?

There is also a movie called Stalker by Andrei Tarkovsky. It's very strange and difficult to understand, but it is also strangely compelling.
If you've got the patience for "difficult" films, it's worth seeing.

Would you consider The Omega Man post-apocalyptic? Based on Richard Matheson's novel I Am Legend, it's the story of a man alone in a world populated with vampires.

Another that I've heard of but never seen is The Quiet Earth. Has anyone seen it?

The Omega Man and the Vincent Price flick The Last Man on Earth are both based on Matheson's I Am Legend...and both are terrible, especially in comparison to the novel.

Stalker is quite good, though I prefer Solaris to it as far as Tarkovsky dabbling in Sci-Fi, and for me it doesn't compare to Sacrifice, The Mirror or Andrei Rulyov. But it is definitely good, and very Tarkovskian.

The Quiet Earth is pretty good, but not on the same level as the very best the genre has to offer. I'd put it on that second tier with Night of the Comet, and definitely better than On the Beach or The World, the Flesh & the Devil - which don't hold up well at all, or Waterworld and The Postman - which are just silly.

Another really dreadful one is Robert Altman's Quintet (1979), which is among the very worst of Bob's misfires. When he connects, Altman is a brilliant filmmaker like no other. When his projects fail, they usually stink just as spectacularly. Quintet is a mess.