Star Trek spoof series "The Orville"

Tools    

Don't want to just reminisce off-topic...
But remember the TNG episode where a woman (non-regular character - not Lt. Yar who just used Data for sex!) tried to have a romantic relationship with Data?

That was a really good one!

Don't want to just reminisce off-topic...
But remember the TNG episode where a woman (non-regular character - not Lt. Yar who just used Data for sex!) tried to have a romantic relationship with Data?

That was a really good one!
Well it's still Star Trek so that's on topic, to me at least

You must mean the episode where Data is sent to evacuate a group of stubborn colonist because the Sheliak claim the planet as their own...and are going to exterminate them unless Date can convince them to leave. The only person who believes Data is a young woman who falls in love with him. That one? That's a favorite for me too. They just don't make them like that anymore.

Well it's still Star Trek so that's on topic, to me at least

You must mean the episode where Data is sent to evacuate a group of stubborn colonist because the Sheliak claim the planet as their own...and are going to exterminate them unless Date can convince them to leave. The only person who believes Data is a young woman who falls in love with him. That one? That's a favorite for me too. They just don't make them like that anymore.
I do recall that episode, but I'm referring to a different one... where a female crew member aboard the Enterprise falls for Data.

She tries dating him, then gets mad at him for not having normal human emotions or sensing a woman's needs (obviously!) like she would at a human boyfriend who was not romantic enough.

I can't remember if the woman seeks out Counselor Troi for advice, or if Data confides in Geordi for advice (maybe both or neither).

I don't remember how it ends (only that it apparently ends amicably and they don't go on dating since the woman was only a one-episode character).

P.S. In case you missed my earlier post: Alara's replacement on The Orville was also a dud for me (no offense to the actress).

I do recall that episode, but I'm referring to a different one... where a female crew member aboard the Enterprise falls for Data.

She tries dating him, then gets mad at him for not having normal human emotions or sensing a woman's needs (obviously!) like she would at a human boyfriend who was not romantic enough.

I can't remember if the woman seeks out Counselor Troi for advice, or if Data confides in Geordi for advice (maybe both or neither).

I don't remember how it ends (only that it apparently ends amicably and they don't go on dating since the woman was only a one-episode character).

P.S. In case you missed my earlier post: Alara's replacement on The Orville was also a dud for me (no offense to the actress).
Oh, that TNG episode, I think it's called In Theory, (I should check to see!), yeah that was a really good one, love that one. I liked how it ended...and how we see Data emulating human actions and yet being so vastly different.

P.S. Alara's replacement was also a dud for me (no offense to the actress).
Oh, I did miss your post. The actress herself would probably be great in a gritty crime film, but she just doesn't gel as a member of The Orville. I sure wish I knew what happened to cause Halston Sage to be written off the show so abruptly. And yes it was a tear jerker when she left.

Oh, I did miss your post. The actress herself would probably be great in a gritty crime film, but she just doesn't gel as a member of The Orville. I sure wish I knew what happened to cause Halston Sage to be written off the show.
Gotta sign off, but, unless I'm remembering wrong... I thought I heard a while back that she was in a relationship with Seth McFarlane. If that's true, maybe it had something to do with her leaving?

Gotta sign off, but, unless I'm remembering wrong... I thought I heard a while back that she was in a relationship with Seth McFarlane. If that's true, maybe it had something to do with her leaving?
Wow, I didn't know that. Have a good evening.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
That's not what I read. I read in a couple of different articles that she was written out of the show and it wasn't her choice to leave.
I read the article back when the episode first aired, so it's possible that I'm remembering some of the details wrong.

I seen her replacement tonight, Lt. Talla Keyali and I did not like her at all. She seemed like she should have been in some crime show. She just didn't fit with the demeanor of the rest of the crew. Now I don't feel like watching the rest of season 2, but probably well.

The actress seemed like an odd replacement and even odder she's the exact same species, how embarrassing for Halston Sage 'Alara' to be booted off the show and replaced. At least her replacement could've been a different species. I wonder if Seth MacFarlane had a personal grudge against Halston Sage?
I also vaguely recall reading something about her having a relationship with Seth MacFarlane, but I thought that turned out to be just a false rumor.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Have you heard anything about this recently? This story was out around the time that she left the show, but I thought the updated reports, (within a few weeks of the original story), said that this wasn't true.

Have you heard anything about this recently? This story was out around the time that she left the show, but I thought the updated reports, (within a few weeks of the original story), said that this wasn't true.
Not recently, gbg, but I saw a site today that had McFarlane included in a list of Halston Sage's former boyfriends.
https://www.distractify.com/p/halsto...boyfriend-list

If it's true, it's a sad commentary on Seth MacFarland as Halston Stage sounds like she didn't want to leave the show. I guess when a show's creator is the star & executive producer & often the script writer, ego has to come into play.

If it's true, it's a sad commentary on Seth MacFarland as Halston Stage sounds like she didn't want to leave the show. I guess when a show's creator is the star & executive producer & often the script writer, ego has to come into play.
When you think about it... it might be a case of life imitates art!
Because... think of the show's premise: former lovers forced to work together and all the tension & awkwardness it creates?

(How many episodes featured the Captain not wanting Kelly to serve as his first officer, or Kelly considering a transfer due to the awkwardness of serving with her ex-husband?)

Don't know if you've gotten to the episodes about Isaac's planet yet (I think it was a 2-episode finale).

But they are really interesting and some of the best action episodes of the series (which ups Isaac's place on the show a bit, at least for me)... and, of course, (trying to avoid spoilers) those episodes fit the V-ger scenario quite nicely.
Hey, I finally seen that 2-parter episode where the crew of the Orville travel to Issac's home world.

You know what? I did think the writers had V-ger's planet in mind. Not totally of course but I noticed at least two clues that seemed like a nod to STTMP.

I'll tell you what those nods were, but I'd first like to hear your thoughts on how that Orville episode fit in with V-ger?

Hey, I finally seen that 2-parter episode where the crew of the Orville travel to Issac's home world.

You know what? I did think the writers had V-ger's planet in mind. Not totally of course but I noticed at least two clues that was at least a nod to STTMP. I'll tell you what those nods were, but I'd first like to here your thoughts on how that Orville episode fit in with V-ger?
I don't remember a whole lot of details from the episodes - but the race of machines seemed to fit perfectly with what Spock described in TMP (after he mindmelds with V-ger and learns about the planet of intelligent machines that sent the probe on its mission).

Also, if I remember correctly, Issac's race regards humans (and all organic beings) as inferior - i.e. an infestation. I don't remember if they said anything like the humans need to be eliminated for infesting the Orville or that they acknowledged the ship almost as a being like themselves (like V-ger said about the crew of the Enterprise), but I believe they made that idea pretty clear.

I looked up "the Kaylons" for a little refresher course and see their origins are also very similar to the plots of the Terminator movies (machines created by biological beings as tools gain greater intelligence and eventually overthrow their creators to become the dominant force on the planet).

I don't remember a whole lot of details from the episodes - but the race of machines seemed to fit perfectly with what Spock described in TMP (after he mindmelds with V-ger and learns about the planet of intelligent machines that sent the probe on its mission).

Also, if I remember correctly, Issac's race regards humans (and all organic beings) as inferior - i.e. an infestation. I don't remember if they said anything like the humans need to be eliminated for infesting the Orville or that they acknowledged the ship almost as a being like themselves (like V-ger said about the crew of the Enterprise), but I believe they made that idea pretty clear.

I looked up "the Kaylons" for a little refresher course and see their origins are also very similar to the plots of the Terminator movies (machines created by biological beings as tools gain greater intelligence and eventually overthrow their creators to become the dominant force on the planet).
That all makes sense what you said about a V-ger tie in.

I hadn't thought about Terminator but if you remember the original ST episode What are little girls made of? The android Ruk tells Captain Kirk that the old ones who made the androids, grew fearful of their creations and tried to shut them down. The androids then fought back and destroyed their makers.

OK, the two things that struck me in the Orville episode as a V-ger nod, was when they first approach the Kaylon home world we hear a moog synthesizer making that distinct ba-waan-gah electronic sound, which was the theme sound for V-ger in STTMP.

And when the Kayon's scan the ship it's a distinct vertical scanning beam that travels across the bridge from one side to the other, just like in STTMP.

As far as the episode goes, I was disappointed. Not surprisingly the Kaylon home world couldn't match my expectations of what a V-ger type world would be like. The first 1 hour was decent, the second hour I was bored. I guess the space battle was big, but I don't like protracted action scenes of any kind.

I'm not sure how they could ever redeem Issac's character enough to have him be a part of the crew again? I know he had a change of 'heart' and protected the youngest boy of Dr Finn and went against his fellow Kaylons, saving the day. But unless I misunderstood something, it was stated that for all of season 1 and 2 Issac was on the Orville knowing he would eventually help exterminate all biological life in the galaxy. Or did I get that wrong?

That all makes sense what you said about a V-ger tie in.

I hadn't thought about Terminator but if you remember the original ST episode What are little girls made of? The android Ruk tells Captain Kirk that the old ones who made the androids, grew fearful of their creations and tried to shut them down. The androids then fought back and destroyed their makers.

OK, the two things that struck me in the Orville episode as a V-ger nod, was when they first approach the Kaylon home world we hear a moog synthesizer making that distinct ba-waan-gah electronic sound, which was the theme sound for V-ger in STTMP.

And when the Kayon's scan the ship it's a distinct vertical scanning beam that travels across the bridge from one side to the other, just like in STTMP.

As far as the episode goes, I was disappointed. Not surprisingly the Kaylon home world couldn't match my expectations of what a V-ger type world would be like. The first 1 hour was decent, the second hour I was bored. I guess the space battle was big, but I don't like protracted action scenes of any kind.

I'm not sure how they could ever redeem Issac's character enough to have him be a part of the crew again? I know he had a change of 'heart' and protected the youngest boy of Dr Finn and went against his fellow Kaylons, saving the day. But unless I misunderstood something, it was stated that for all of season 1 and 2 Issac was on the Orville knowing he would eventually help exterminate all biological life in the galaxy. Or did I get that wrong?
I have a lot more to discuss (but have to go walk soon)... but I just wanted to say, based on your last paragraph, this would have been the perfect opportunity to write Issac out of the show (based on the way some feel about him and the fact that he's a thinly veiled copy of Data)!

I think you got that right - Isaac was an enemy operative the entire time.

Don't remember, but did the Kaylons send some kind of weapons into orbit around our planet to eliminate all the carbon units on Earth like V-ger did?

P.S. This isn't the end of the Kaylons - I believe they return in the next season which ends up making for some strange bedfellows for the Orville (just a teaser without giving away too many spoilers)!

I have a lot more to discuss (but have to go walk soon)... but I just wanted to say, based on your last paragraph, this would have been the perfect opportunity to write Issac out of the show (based on the way some feel about him and the fact that he's a thinly veiled copy of Data)!
Well, a funny thing...after the episode where Dr Finn and Issac become a couple, during the holodeck scene where Issac appears as a human, I realized he's an excellent actor. So it's not him who I don't like, but it's his cheap robot suit and unhuman like head. I just can't relate to him in that cheap get up. But I thought the actor was excellent and was very believable as a sentient machine, that looked like a human. I wish they'd let him appear that way instead, I think the show would be more deeper if they had.

I think you got that right - Isaac was an enemy operative the entire time.
That's what I thought, I half expected to learn that Issac had been unduly influenced by the evil red-eye Kaylon's. Sort of like what happened to Data because of Lore's control of him.

Don't remember, but did the Kaylons send some kind of weapons into orbit around our planet to eliminate all the carbon units on Earth like V-ger did?
Yup, a whole fleet of machine weapons. I don't know if they were manned, err robotted or not?

Well, a funny thing...after the episode where Dr Finn and Issac become a couple, during the holodeck scene where Issac appears as a human I realized he's an excellent actor. So it's not him who I don't like but I realized it's his cheap robot suit and unhuman like head. I just can't relate to him, but I thought the actor was excellent and portraying a very believable machine that looked just like a human. I wish they'd let him appear that way instead. I think the show would be more deeper if they had.
Issac's look had me thinking from the first episode...

Yes, I thought the same thing at the outset - such a cheap & goofy looking suit, like something out of an old b&w Flash Gordon serial...

Maybe the look of it was somewhat intentional = so they could surprise the audience with that crazy CGI when the Kaylon's heads open up!

Last night's episode "Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow" was excellent. I had to look up whether Adrianne Palicki has a twin - turns out she does not and it was all special effects and camera tricks.
She really looked and acted like a completely different person in that episode, impressive.

"Kelly" looked gorgeous in bangs! Especially when they covered that mole between her eyes. That blouse, though...
I didn't care for her younger self look, too girly-girl foo foo. It was well done by the make up department though. But I couldn't stop thinking she reminded me of someone and it wasn't her other self...Finally it dawned on me, she reminded be of Jane Fonda from Cat Ballou. I actually liked Kelly's look best in the alternate time line, she looked tougher and more world weary (which makes sense for the storyline). Her first season look was to me better than her softer look in season two.

The one with Gordon and the "Simulator" (a.k.a. Holodeck) was also interesting but a bit lackluster. However, I'm glad the show is making episodes that make you think.
I liked the first half of that one, some excellent acting from 'Gordon'. I thought for sure it would end with him showing her, her own mobile phone and telling her she'd been gone for 400 years and all of this was just a computer simulation. I think the episode done that way would've had more of a punch to it.

The Kaylon episodes were really good and I liked the effort put forth with Time Travel in the finale. The show works for me when I thought it wouldn't. It's weird because the comedy isn't as in your face as one would expect from McFarland. Glad they are keeping up with some character centric episodes.