This is Us

Tools    

Well, just finished episode 10, which is the last episode until January 10th and I think I'm going to be holding my breath until then. As I finish wiping the tears from eyes, the only thing I can say is that this show is the best thing on television right now and anyone who is not watching it is missing something really really special.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Well, just finished episode 10, which is the last episode until January 10th and I think I'm going to be holding my breath until then. As I finish wiping the tears from eyes, the only thing I can say is that this show is the best thing on television right now and anyone who is not watching it is missing something really really special.

I can't believe they ended the episode like that. I knew that the doctor being in the hospital was a red herring, but I never saw that coming. I really hope he's okay. Like she said "Nothing bad happens on Christmas".

It's going to be a long wait for the January 10th episode.

I can't believe they ended the episode like that. I knew that the doctor being in the hospital was a red herring, but I never saw that coming. I really hope he's okay. Like she said "Nothing bad happens on Christmas".

It's going to be a long wait for the January 10th episode.
I can't believe what they did to Toby! He made that lovely speech to Kate and then they have him collapse? And reveal of the season...William is gay! Who saw that coming?

I can't believe what they did to Toby! He made that lovely speech to Kate and then they have him collapse? And reveal of the season...William is gay! Who saw that coming?

I never saw that coming about William being gay, but that seems to be the new trend. Every show seems to have a main character who comes out as gay, so it's getting less and less shocking when it happens.

I didn't think January 10th would ever get here and episode 11 did not disappoint...as usual, I was initially confused by the introduction of Jack and Rebecca's parents, but the reason they were introduced became clear pretty quickly. Jack is absolutely awesome...I cannot believe he went to borrow money from his father and didn't tell him what it was for. This episode was definitely Milo Ventimiglia's finest hour, the most underrated member of the cast. The scene between Rebecca and her mother certainly clarified why Rebecca is the self-absorbed drama queen she is. Randall lost a lot of likability points when he told Kevin that his father was "turning gay" but he got a few back during his final scene with William, which had me fighting tears. So glad that Kevin dumped that bitch Olivia, but of course, he kind of did it for the wrong reasons and Sloane's reaction was believable. Everything with Toby and Kate was awesome too, maybe the most unique marriage proposal I've seen on a TV show. This show continues to be appointment television.

I was so glad to see Toby and Kate back together again, and that it looks like he's going to be okay. I was worried about what might happen to him after the last episode.

I felt so bad for Sloane after she overheard what Kevin said to Olivia. I'm glad that he did the right thing, but I wish she hadn't heard what he said.

Have you seen Milo Ventimiglia in anything else? I loved him as Peter in "Heroes".

OK, I've just checked Milo's IMDB page and the only thing that I actually remember seeing him was a recurring role on Gotham, another show I watch regularly. But I am loving him here and Jack is becoming my favorite character on the show.

I felt so bad for Sloane after she overheard what Kevin said to Olivia. I'm glad that he did the right thing, but I wish she hadn't heard what he said.
Kevin said the right thing but he didn't say it right...he made it sound like Sloane is an obligation...Kevin needs to engage his brain before he speaks sometimes.

OK, just finished episode 12, which was kind of odd, but riveting as always. My first instinct was that I really didn't care about further backstory for the doctor (Gerald McRaney) or the fireman who brought Randall to the hospital, but the doctor's story paid off in spades...extremely moving with superb work from McRaney, who had me fighting tears when he visited his wife in the cemetery and when he talked to her empty chair in his living room. The fireman, I just didn't care and thought it was strange that he thought bringing a newborn baby home could save his marriage. This episode did nothing to endear me to the character of Rebecca...her treatment of Jack in the opening scenes just pissed me off, yeah, I know she's near the end of the pregnancy and all, but Jack didn't deserve any of that abuse and the whole scene of her at the liquor store was just stupid. And it's official, Jack is my favorite character on this show... Milo Ventimiglia is a revelation in this role. My favorite Rebecca moment was when she told the babies how awesome their dad is because he is. The moment where Jack is observed sipping from the "World's Best Dad" mug was perfection because he is.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I haven't watched this week's episode yet, but I wanted to let you know that "This Is Us" was renewed for two more seasons, (18 episodes each).

http://deadline.com/2017/01/this-is-...ns-1201889069/
My wife and I are glad. Good sign when it gets renewed for not one, but TWO more seasons.

Suspect's Reviews

Well, episode 13 did not disappoint...I keep thinking this show has to disappoint me at some point, but it just refuses to do so. Loved that Jack and Rebecca tried to throw the triplets separate birthday parties and it didn't work out at all...Jack, as always, was awesome...Milo Ventimiglia was incredible in that scene where he was vogue-ing with Kate and I love that he wanted to have another kid, even if Rebecca didn't want to discuss it. The William/Randall scenes intially pissed me off, but I guess William's bucket list wasn't too serious, even if it came at an inconvenient time for Randall and I'm glad Randall went with it. Also loved the Sophie connection and Justin Hartley NAILED that scene when he asked Sophie for another chance, maybe Hartley's best onscreen moment all season. Not happy about this guy possibly coming between Kate and Toby, but it is fun to see two men fighting over Kate. Wish Jack wasn't going to die but I have a feeling it won't happen until the final episode, whenever that happens.

I was floored when Kevin went to talk to "the love of his life" and
WARNING: "SPOILERS!!!" spoilers below
Sophie opened the door. I expected her to say that she was married, and see her husband walk up behind her.

I agree with you about this guy getting between Kate and Toby. It might not be so bad if he seemed like a nice guy, but what could she possibly see in that guy over Toby???

The scene with Jack and Kate "vogue-ing" was cute, but I'm not a Madonna fan, so I had never heard that expression before, so I didn't know what they were talking about until I saw them doing it. I don't know if you watch the show "Grimm", but in that show, the word "vogue-ing" has a completely different meaning, and I hope to never see anything like that on this show. (It's spelled "woge-ing" in "Grimm", but it's pronounced "vogue-ing", just like in this show.)

We still don't know what happened to Jack, but we finally got to see a little bit of his funeral.

Everyone I know loves this show --- I was thinking it was just another communal family drama like Army Wives. Am I right on that? I liked Army Wives, but I got bored after a few episodes. I "felt" it, but it was too slow and I wasnt riveted by the characters (or their drama).

But I mean the people who love it - LOVE IT.

Worth a try?

Episode 14 had me squirming, crying, and yelling back at the TV screen. They really got me to the point where I thought I might actually be able to like Rebecca when she told the leader of her band how awesome her husband is and he is. But they took her likability away at the final moment of the show, though I loved the way they filmed Jack and Rebecca reading their vows...some really beautiful editing really made the final moments of the show quite lovely, despite Rebecca making me hate her again. Justin Hartley was solid as Kevin struggled to get his ex-wife back though it felt like initially he was pushing too hard. Sophie is clearly still in love with Kevin, she's just not sure if she can trust him anymore. I also loved when Kevin talked Marla Gibbs and that guy out of the booth, that scene was too cute. I'm REALLY disappointed in Kate and I hope what we saw begin to happen at the end of the show doesn't really happen. I don't like the way they're making us think that Kate thinks Duke likes her just the way she is and Toby doesn't. Toby never wanted her to go to this camp and never cared how much she weighed and yet she keeps pushing him away. Sterling K Brown made me feel Randall, who is really having trouble dealing with the fact that the end is near for William and I kind of hated that its affecting his job, where he was apparently the big dog, pre-William. God, I love this stupid show, it makes me crazy.

Just finished wiping the tears from my face after watching the challenging, edgy, and heartbreaking episode 15...keep waiting for this show to disappoint me and it just gets better with each episode. My hate for Rebecca intensifies with each episode...I wanted to slap her when she told Jack that he was in her way...who the hell does this woman think she is? I hated that she only offered to not go on the tour because she felt the household would fall apart without her for a month. I knew Kate wouldn't sleep with Duke and love everything that happened between Kate and Toby, especially the increasing mystery surrounding Jack's death. Toby was awesome to postpone the wedding until Kate can talk about that. What they're doing to Randall is breaking my heart...I don't know why they all piling all this stuff on him at once and his father was just pissing me off, acting like a child...it was his choice to go off the chemo and now he's suffering the consequences of his actions and blaming everyone else. I felt bad for him initially, but I don't anymore. And between Kevin running out on his opening night to be with Randall and Jack sitting alone with a cheeseburger and onion rings, yeah, I was in tears.

They tried something a little different with ep 16 but it worked...I was weeping about ten minutes before the episode even ended...there was Emmy worthy work here from Ron Cephas Jones and especially Sterling K. Brown, whose beautifully internalized work was a a joy to drink in. Also enjoyed an eye-opening guest shot from someone who I think was Malcolm Jamal Warner. God, I love this stupid show that has never failed to mesmerize me every minute it graces my television screen.

I gave it the three episode test, unfortunately it's a LOT more drama than comedy and I don't usually do dramas.. Life has enough drama without using it for entertainment too..(For me anyways...)

I think the only time I laughed out of the 3 was when the wife was grilling the dad and after it was all said and done just says "Well now i feel like a bitch..."

They tried something a little different with ep 16 but it worked...I was weeping about ten minutes before the episode even ended...there was Emmy worthy work here from Ron Cephas Jones and especially Sterling K. Brown, whose beautifully internalized work was a a joy to drink in. Also enjoyed an eye-opening guest shot from someone who I think was Malcolm Jamal Warner. God, I love this stupid show that has never failed to mesmerize me every minute it graces my television screen.
This was a good episode, but it focused too much on one storyline for me. I like when they flip back and forth though a few different storylines. This storyline was almost brutal to watch at times.

I gave it the three episode test, unfortunately it's a LOT more drama than comedy and I don't usually do dramas.. Life has enough drama without using it for entertainment too..(For me anyways...)

I think the only time I laughed out of the 3 was when the wife was grilling the dad and after it was all said and done just says "Well now i feel like a bitch..."
If you're looking for a comedy, "This Is Us" isn't the show for you. It's a great show, but there's a lot of drama in it.

This was a good episode, but it focused too much on one storyline for me. I like when they flip back and forth though a few different storylines. This storyline was almost brutal to watch at times.
I was a little concerned when I realized the whole show was going to be all about William and Randall, which was about 10 minutes in, but I found the show really enjoyable with Emmy worthy work from Sterling K Brown. BTW, was that Malcolm Jamal Warner playing the guy in the bar who played in William's band?