The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I love Raiders of the Lost Ark. It is definitely one of my favorite movies. Does it have anything profound to say about humanity? Probably not,
It say something profound about how we value our past - the sacred, the mercenary, knowledge/preservation, state power vs bureaucratic indifference. Some keen insights on Nazi predilections as well.

I learned what a date was.

I really don't see why Jaws and Raiders swapping 4 or 5 list spots would be such a big deal.

I never said it was. It's Pike's authoritative attitude towards my theory that was the original problem.

I don't see what's so problematic about my opinion. The only issue is considering that the debate is "silly" or being authoritative on it. I've been here a few years too, but just because I talk a lot doesn't mean I think I know everything. I analyze things based on whatever knowledge I have just as much as the next guy, except I go into detail because I want to strike conversation. Besides, I'm bored as hell and this is my favorite thread on MoFo right now. Whatever happens happens. Whether or not Jaws gets on the list, I'll treat the situation as I've been doing: update the director list I've been posting and express my thought on the film. If I'm wrong and Jaws makes the list, then at leaat Raiders ended up very high. If it does, it's an interesting change of pace based on what I'm used to seeing.

The only question now, is how well other people take it? I'm only talking so much because I'm pretty bored right now. If anyone wants to discuss Jaws, let's do so. That's what this thread is about: discussing theories about the next entries.

It has been ten years since the last list. I'm not saying it won't happen at all, just that considering we have so many entries that could potentially make the remaining entries and the fact that Raiders topped Jaws in the 2010 edition, it feels like the chances are lower.
The chances might be lower who knows but it's a good prediction though.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

The chances might be lower who knows but it's a good prediction though.

I guess, considering MoFo seems to bear a larger fanbase for Jaws. To be fair, I do like shark movies and I would like to see it on the list somewhere. I just feel a little odd considering that the overall ratings for Jaws seems to have lowered slowly over the last couple of years, probably because there are so many shark films that rip-off Jaws that it loses a little of its own spark.

Regardless, I am disappointed Jurassic Park didn't make the list, and I predicted it would since it was so modern, despite having a lower Imdb rating then all the aforementioned Spielberg films. But after the Spielberg films on the new list matched the four highest rated on a couple sites, I gave up some (but not all) hope for Jaws, especially since there seem to be some serious similarities between people's predictions and the other website lists, most notably the movies appearing in the top 3 matching movies in RYM's top ten.

On a related note, thanks to their algorithm update, The Godfather and Apocalypse Now are the numbers 2 and 3 there. Kinda happy Coppola's ruling the scene there. Their number 1 is 2001.

It say something profound about how we value our past - the sacred, the mercenary, knowledge/preservation, state power vs bureaucratic indifference. Some keen insights on Nazi predilections as well.

I learned what a date was.
Good stuff (besides the date, I mean, which I hope went well). There's also commentary about human arrogance in it, i.e. assuming that if there was a radio for speaking to God, would He actually want us to use it to talk to Him?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Good to see discussions about the films thrive. How eloquent, guys!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Not much point in belaboring the Jaws thing. Yes, it's totally reasonable to wonder. I think it should be possible for people to say "oh, definitely it's showing up" without being too dismissive of the question. And it should also be possible to hear someone confidently say that without it seeming too much like a slight. All in the phrasing sometimes, though. I'd encourage everyone to try to find ways to express the same idea less starkly, when possible.

Anyway, you'll all find out soon enough!

First off, Richard Pryor released a few concert films; or at least, people trying to make money off his talent did. This review is only concerning the very first film, and it's called exactly Richard Pryor Live in Concert (my #17). This will always be my "go-to" film when I need to just laugh and feel a bit better about life. I've talked to many people of many ages, and they all have their fave stand-up comics, but I find it hard to believe that a truthful person could watch this film and not tell me that Pryor is the funniest, most-honest person on the face of the Earth here. If you deny that, then tell me somebody who can remotely perform so many human and animal characters on stage. The man pours his entire soul out in this wonderful movie, and I feel privileged to relive it two or three times a year with my friends and family. R.I.P. He talks about sex, family, racism, pets, drugs, hunting, boxing, heart attacks, sexism, funerals, children, corporal punishment, wet Q-tips, mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, long lines, freaky-deaky, The Exorcist, the Vincent Price The Fly, "Macho Man", "dead person", Long Beach, and much more. I laugh longer and more often at this movie than any other movie I've seen, and when I'm not laughing, I'm wearing an enormous smile of recognition. OK, I availed myself to the funniest, most truthful concert film I've ever seen again, and I sure hope that I don't cause a riot here, but Richard Pryor Live in Concert still has to rate to me as the funniest film I've ever seen. I will admit that loving this film, especially as a "white person", leaves me open to charges of racism, but let's not shy away from that, and follow Pryor's lead. Pryor uses the "N" word incessantly. It's true that a few years after this joyous, wonderful film that Pryor swore off ever using the "N" word again. He said that it was an insult to all those he loved and all those who loved him. Even so, this film completely and honestly captures Pryor before he had a change of heart. I completely respect his change of heart, but I also completely respect his earlier opinion to rub people's faces in the reality of being a "black person". Now, I don't think I need to explain myself here, but I was born and raised in Compton, California. I have spent my entire life equally surrounded by Blacks, Latinos and Whites. I have also allowed them to think their own thoughts about our situation, unless they come across as racist pigs. Thankfully, I recall no racist pigs, and I certainly don't want that way-ahead-of-his-time GIANT, Richard Pryor, to be thought that way either.
Nothing to apologize for here. In Concert is one of the funniest films of all time, and almost certainly the greatest stand-up film. Many people prefer Sunset Strip, which has a little more significance due to its circumstances, but it's not as strong as In Concert. In Strip, the cameras were making Pryor uncomfortable throughout, and Concert had the good taste to keep the cameras at a distance (and the audience out of frame).

As for the PC aspects, I have little tolerance. One of the worst presumptions of PC is that it excuses the youth from doing a little homework to figure out the context of history. Pryor was always real, and authenticity remains a constant threat to the tepid-hearted. If someone wants to examine the culture in which Pryor lived and was raised, or the biographical details of his personal and social struggles, be my guest. But anyone who would consider either this film or those who laugh at his humor to be "racists" is someone I simply don't have the patience to acknowledge.

Disney's greatest traditional animated film is still just about the most surreal movie ever made (take that, Buñuel ). It's also Disney's funniest, even though the humor is incredibly dark. Alice in Wonderland (my #15) is a non-stop assault on the pomposity of logic and staid Victorian England which is also still able to include digs at many modern foibles which humans have in our current day and age, among them being rude and in far too much of a hurry to even say good day. It's also a potent political satire when we get to the Red Queen and how all things must be her and the "law's" way. But above all, it's crazy and just a lot of fun. There are so many crazy characters to choose from: the White Rabbit, the Doorknob, the Walrus, the Carpenter, Tweedledum and Tweedledee, Bill (my fave, "Well, there goes Bill!"), the Mad Hatter, the March Hare, the Caterpillar, the Cheshire Cat, the Queen and King of Hearts, etc. The animators let their minds run wild and created a trip of a movie, that's for sure.
I'm surprise that there wasn't any classic Disney on the list. I chose Fantasia as my #2, but I could have seen Alice, Dumbo or Pinocchio in the running.

Good stuff (besides the date, I mean, which I hope went well).
Meh. I choked.

I guess, considering MoFo seems to bear a larger fanbase for Jaws. To be fair, I do like shark movies and I would like to see it on the list somewhere. I just feel a little odd considering that the overall ratings for Jaws seems to have lowered slowly over the last couple of years, probably because there are so many shark films that rip-off Jaws that it loses a little of its own spark.

Regardless, I am disappointed Jurassic Park didn't make the list, and I predicted it would since it was so modern, despite having a lower Imdb rating then all the aforementioned Spielberg films. But after the Spielberg films on the new list matched the four highest rated on a couple sites, I gave up some (but not all) hope for Jaws, especially since there seem to be some serious similarities between people's predictions and the other website lists, most notably the movies appearing in the top 3 matching movies in RYM's top ten.

On a related note, thanks to their algorithm update, The Godfather and Apocalypse Now are the numbers 2 and 3 there. Kinda happy Coppola's ruling the scene there. Their number 1 is 2001.
The list ain't over yet lol, different times and different tastes, I say Jurassic still has a chance. It's slim but not gonna say it won't make it because you just never know.

So wait your telling me that half of the top 10 has been half spoiled??

Yeah that is pretty wrong. Superhero movies are one thing, but a top 100 imo should at least have one Disney movie. My perfect favorites by coincidence are the same as RYM'S top two classic Disney films: The Lion King and Fantasia. However, my highest-rated film owned by that company already made the list: Toy Story. I think based on merit, however, The Lion King deserves to be on a top 100 more than Toy Story.

The list ain't over yet lol, different times and different tastes, I say Jurassic still has a chance. It's slim but not gonna it won't because you just never know.

So wait your telling me that this list has been half spoiled??

Not necessarily "spoiled." It's really just a collection of people using their brains and making assumptions based on whatever education in this subject we have. Besides, anyone can get the next reveal right or wrong. I'd be pretty excited if Jurassic Park ended up in the top ten, but considering the protests toward my prediction I'd say Jaws still at least has a better shot than Jurassic Park.

That's all the fun in the theory, waiting to see what happens next. These discussions are the result of justified hype.

Yeah that is pretty wrong. Superhero movies are one thing, but a top 100 imo should at least have one Disney movie. My perfect favorites by coincidence are the same as RYM'S top two classic Disney films: The Lion King and Fantasia. However, my highest-rated film owned by that company already made the list: Toy Story. I think based on merit, however, The Lion King deserves to be on a top 100 more than Toy Story.
tbh I'd rather have Toy Story on here then the Lion King but it would be nice to see both on here atleast

I'm surprise that there wasn't any classic Disney on the list. I chose Fantasia as my #2, but I could have seen Alice, Dumbo or Pinocchio in the running.

I've never seen Alice in Wonderland. And I don't think I finished my childhood viewing of Dumbo. They are two of the most blatant blindspots in my viewing habits.

Fantasia could have cracked my top 25. I knew one animated film had to be there, and for many years, Fantasia would have been the one to sneak in. But I've recently come to the conclusion that Fantasia is my second favorite animated film. My favorite was my one-pointer, and I have no doubts it was never going to come in sniffing distance of this top 100.

The trick is not minding
I actually prefer a few others over Lion King myself, but I yeah, I’m a little surprised at the lack of animated films in general. Disney, Pixar or otherwise.

Referencing Jaws again, Fantasia's a flawless experimental piece that I think warranted as many copycats as Jaws or E.T., but as far as I know there were NONE. Was Fantasia really so unique that there just couldn't be anything like it? I'd love to see more movies like it, and at least somebody gave it a high rating.