The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Rosemary's Baby is in my personal Top 40 but I didn't vote for it here.
Perfect realization by the adapter/director of Ira Levin's novel is probably the greatest Hitchcock film which Hitch didn't direct. The tension is non-stop, the dark humor rampant, the acting incredible, and the visuals and Christopher Komeda's music could scarcely be better. Polanski's mise-en-scene is masterful, creating dread just by hearing a car horn honk or the repetition of an unseen pianist practicing Beethoven. The duality found in the sound effects and character behavior is meticulous and gives sharp viewers many clues in how to interpret what's going on with Rosemary (Mia Farrow), her husband (John Cassavetes) and the other full-blooded characters we see at that creepy apartment building with a past. The film is scary as hell, but all the more so because you can believe that it could happen. Maybe Satan did spawn the baby or maybe these crazy Satan-worshippers want it for their own. You tell me. Which one is scarier?

I'm one of the few who finds Eternal Sunshine mediocre (with some great sequences), but then again, I can't for the life of me understand why others don't think all my favorites aren't wonderful. Very good list so far.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Rosemary's Baby is in my personal Top 40 but I didn't vote for it here.
Perfect realization by the adapter/director of Ira Levin's novel is probably the greatest Hitchcock film which Hitch didn't direct. The tension is non-stop, the dark humor rampant, the acting incredible, and the visuals and Christopher Komeda's music could scarcely be better. Polanski's mise-en-scene is masterful, creating dread just by hearing a car horn honk or the repetition of an unseen pianist practicing Beethoven. The duality found in the sound effects and character behavior is meticulous and gives sharp viewers many clues in how to interpret what's going on with Rosemary (Mia Farrow), her husband (John Cassavetes) and the other full-blooded characters we see at that creepy apartment building with a past. The film is scary as hell, but all the more so because you can believe that it could happen. Maybe Satan did spawn the baby or maybe these crazy Satan-worshippers want it for their own. You tell me. Which one is scarier?

I'm one of the few who finds Eternal Sunshine mediocre (with some great sequences), but then again, I can't for the life of me understand why others don't think all my favorites aren't wonderful. Very good list so far.
Well, Mark, that is because you are wonderful. There's just no room left to give any to your favorite picks. I mean, who could resist a Christmas Gizmo?

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Her? Wow, the surface level hipster art camaraderie is strong here. I'm expecting the new Suspiria next. Well, it's only natural the contemporary hipster folk would rate it higher than the original. What do you expect? Yeah, it's a fine film but, come on, I could name about 3000 better films that deserve the spot much more.

Braveheart? Not enough Englishmen on MoFo or lots of people with a really strong anti-English sentiment. Dunno what's worse, my old chaps. Sorry but Mel Gibson is a racist hack. His last good film was Lethal Weapon and he didn't even direct it.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind? It's been years since I've seen it, so I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt and say it's a mediocre film hyped into oblivion by people who pretend it's a Tarkovsky of romance movies. Come on, non-Asians can't into romance movies since at least 2000.

Rosemary's Baby? Fine! I get it! It's a horror classic. It's pretty good and competently done. See? You can't call me a hater now. But hey, we all know that Repulsion is better and that the mediocrity that Chinatown is is gonna grab the TOP 20 place.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

A system of cells interlinked
To each their own, but in the immortal words of Michael Hurley

"I see the dishes over there
They fill me with despair"

Clearly, a testimonial from another satisfied customer of my double-bill treatment. But, unfortunately it does not seem as if it is for everyone.

So my utopia has been denied, yet again.

Damn you, love and tenderness!
Alas, it appears I am your arch nemesis, after all!

Care for a cuppa tea? I just need these dishes done...

I've only seen Eternal Sunshine once with my wife and neither one of us cared for it. Maybe I didn't care for it because she didn't? I've been meaning to try it again, on my own this time.

Rosemary's Baby is always a contender for my top 25 horror movies.

Nothing has showed up yet which makes me scratch my head or anywhere else.

BTW, unless otherwise noted, each clue applies to both films in some way (this has been the case so far).
Movie #2: Up?

Mr Frederickson is pretty wrinkly and also cute.

Tomorrow's Hint:Wrinkly, but strangely cute.
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial and Amélie?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Tomorrow's Hint:

Wrinkly, but strangely cute.
Better not be Dr Strangelove this early!

Wrinkly - ET and Strangely Cute - Ame'lie, as it looks like on the poster, it she looks like she's gonna kill someone lol

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Wrinkly - ET and Strangely Cute - Ame'lie, as it looks like on the poster, it she looks like she's gonna kill someone lol
She can kill me any day.