Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!

Saw this in the opening weekend, and this movie does not disappoint.

IMO, this kind of movies are more worth to watch than spending money to watch stupid Hollywood blockbusters like Transformers, The Mummy, etc.
I hadnt heard of this but my kind of comedy. Going on my list

You can't win an argument just by being right!
You will love it.
The reviews look good. Will let you know, Dirk.

“I was cured, all right!”
Elite Squad (2007)

+

Beautifully made and intense. I would have liked to have seen it a little more from the point of view of the dealers rather than all from the officers. It's no City of God but still pretty awesome and I look forward to the sequel.
Wow! A movie from my country that isn't City of God! That's new here!
I prefer the sequel. It was very great!!

Pitfall (1948)

From the noirs list, Johnny has everything a man could ask for; a pretty wife, a good son, and a fine job in the insurance business. Yet, he feels stuck in a rut and bored with it all. Don't mess around ahole! He meets a dame on the job, but she already has a man about to get out of jail and another one stalking her. I liked this movie, and could relate to a simple man finding trouble. I thought it worked well as a cautionary tale.

I want to see a Flatliners film from Tarsem Singh. That would take me to the edge of their experiences for sure.
I just went to check who was directing the Flatliners film coming out in a couple of months (since I knew it wasn't him but couldn't remember who it actually was) and noticed that the Wikipedia description lists it as a sequel. When I saw the trailer, I honestly thought it was a remake.

While I haven't really liked any of the fiilms I've seen from Singh, he does have a really nice visual style, so I wouldn't mind him being in charge since the current Flatliners sequel looks very bland.

movies can be okay...
Taxi Driver (1976):

So I just saw "Taxi Driver" for the first time and it was really good. We follow a taxi driver (hence the title) named Travis who's as distant from reality as I was from his character, he sees his environment as filth, and he is desperate to find a pure being in this filth to connect with, but it seems that nobody fits his demanded criteria whether they're good people or not, everyone looks speaks and acts the same in his eyes, resulting to his isolation from society.

Essentially, Travis is out of sync of verity and reality, and that is not only represented by his socially backward ways and actions, but also by Martin Scorsese's direction, there are numerous shots where the attention should be on our main character, but the camera drifts away to another direction, predicting his next move, which even shows how out of sync of the film he is.

I personally saw the misanthropic's behaviour as a result of his services during the war, where human connection is absent and human destruction is all there is. Travis' built up and repressed hatred gradually ascends to the point where there is no option but to let it all out, and this is where I was a bit disappointed by the film, I was hoping for the story to go in a specific direction which I find quite fitting, but it chooses not to, sure they can write their story however they want, but in my opinion it would of been an overall better film had it went the way I wanted it to.

I also found the music extremely annoying, not saying that the piece itself was bad, but hearing the same decent instrumental over 60 times really got under my skin and became distracting. I just wish it was used sparingly. Another complaint I have is how some symbolism in the film got in the way of its logic, for example, near the end, when Travis has shaved his head and attended the public rally, he is positioned in a way that makes him stand out from the crowd, but how come the Secret Service agent hasn't noticed him when they have already encountered each other earlier in the film, I mean Travis is even wearing the same clothes, he only puts 2 and 2 together once Travis attempts to make his move, this is only a minor nitpick and it didn't have much of an impact on my experience though.

I'm happy I finally saw this immensely beloved movie, I wasn't disappointed nor totally fulfilled which is completely satisfying.

"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Taxi Driver (1976):

So I just saw "Taxi Driver" for the first time and it was really good. We follow a taxi driver (hence the title) named Travis who's as distant from reality as I was from his character, he sees his environment as filth, and he is desperate to find a pure being in this filth to connect with, but it seems that nobody fits his demanded criteria whether they're good people or not, everyone looks speaks and acts the same in his eyes, resulting to his isolation from society.

Essentially, Travis is out of sync of verity and reality, and that is not only represented by his socially backward ways and actions, but also by Martin Scorsese's direction, there are numerous shots where the attention should be on our main character, but the camera drifts away to another direction, predicting his next move, which even shows how out of sync of the film he is.

I personally saw the misanthropic's behaviour as a result of his services during the war, where human connection is absent and human destruction is all there is. Travis' built up and repressed hatred gradually ascends to the point where there is no option but to let it all out, and this is where I was a bit disappointed by the film, I was hoping for the story to go in a specific direction which I find quite fitting, but it chooses not to, sure they can write their story however they want, but in my opinion it would of been an overall better film had it went the way I wanted it to.

I also found the music extremely annoying, not saying that the piece itself was bad, but hearing the same decent instrumental over 60 times really got under my skin and became distracting. I just wish it was used sparingly. Another complaint I have is how some symbolism in the film got in the way of its logic, for example, near the end, when Travis has shaved his head and attended the public rally, he is positioned in a way that makes him stand out from the crowd, but how come the Secret Service agent hasn't noticed him when they have already encountered each other earlier in the film, I mean Travis is even wearing the same clothes, he only puts 2 and 2 together once Travis attempts to make his move, this is only a minor nitpick and it didn't have much of an impact on my experience though.

I'm happy I finally saw the movie, I wasn't disappointed nor totally fulfilled and that's why I'm giving this a....

7.5/10
I rate it nearly the same 8.0 / 10 or

I think what i really like about Taxi Driver is that it really hits the zeitgeist of contemporary America or America in the 70's with a focal point of alienation from society. While i have seen technically more brilliant movies, Taxi Driver really hits the nerve in more than one aspect.

The Paleface (1948)

-

I watched this because it's on the top 100 Westerns list. I certainly don't think it belongs there, not only because there's easily 100 better movies that should be there, but also because this is a comedy. Jane Russell plays Calamity Jane. She doesn't appear to be much of an actress, but she was fine enough for this role. This is Bob Hope's movie. I thought he was very funny and that kept me entertained throughout. There was also a great musical number.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Shane - 9/10

I've seen it many, many times. Have it on VHS, but it was on TCM, and I thought it would be great to watch last night, that way it's no big deal to resume it today.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Paleface (1948)

-
Son of Paleface is better, with Roy Rogers and Trigger teaming up wuth Bob and Jane.

Estonian movie about a conflict I didn't know existed. Not bad at all.

Anomalisa (2015) -

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

movies can be okay...

Anomalisa (2015) -
I love Charlie Kaufman, he has already proven to be a fantastic writer, and now he has proven to be a masterful director as well. Synecdoche, New York and Anomalisa are phenomenal, and I'm glad you loved them both.

It's a shame that he has been having trouble for a long time financing his projects and ideas.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

John Wick Chapter 2
++ An excellent follow-up/continuation of the John Wick story. Top rate action, some pretty glorious film work and, while not necessarily original, an entertaining story line that has me INCREDIBLY curious to see Chapter 3

Castlevania on Netflix
++ like gangland stated, since the length of this is 4 25-odd minute long episodes equaling a pilot movie, putting it here is pretty understandable. Some really great animation and a worthwhile start that has caught my curiosity.

Back Track
++ Rather liked the structure of the story and how it unfolds that is reminiscent of Sixth Sense without being a blatant copy. A very satisfactory ghost story. Not great, but definitely worthwhile.