Swan's 2017 Movie Adventures

→ in
Tools    

Captain America: Civil War -

(The Russo Brothers, 2016)

[REWATCH]

Certainly better than I remembered it being, due the fact that I DIDN'T FALL ASLEEP THIS TIME, but it's still a bloated mess of a film. My favorite thing about it was pissed off Tony Stark and the shot above. Why did I love this shot so much? Because it was literally the only shot in the film that dared to linger on a fight rather than swiftly cut to another shot in order to hide poor choreography. Jesus, talk about bad editing for the rest of it. It was so fast it was distracting. Man, now I feel I'm being too generous with my rating. Whatever. It's not that bad and there's some fun to be had here. It's just messy and poorly executed fun.

War for the Planet of the Apes -

(Matt Reeves, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

Honestly might be one of the best pieces of blockbuster cinema I've seen. A stunning way to conclude what I call the Ceaser trilogy. And it was the best display of Serkis and his talent. I've been saying it since Rise.... Andy Serkis needs to be the first motion capture actor to win an Oscar for his work. And it should be for Ceaser, in War for the Planet of the Apes. Will it happen? Doubtful. But it should.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I love that you've been watching a lot of film lately. Love hearing your thoughts. I'll agree with you on Civil War, as I also think it could be one of Marvels few missteps.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Really looking forward to the third of 'The Caesar Trilogy'.

Welcome to the human race...
While I liked Civil War well enough at first, I have to admit that the prospect of re-watching it doesn't seems very appealing to me. Considering how much my opinion of Age of Ultron dropped on re-watch, I daresay the MCU entries that are focused on building the series' arc instead of being standalone adventures are probably less likely to hold up as actual movies. The aesthetic weaknesses certainly don't help, especially compared to the other Phase 3 movies.

The Big Sick -
+
(Michael Showalter, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

da fuq

Okay, I was gonna just leave it there but I ought to say more. I don't usually care about Rotten Tomatoes and critical response but man, this is one of the biggest gaps I've yet experienced between critical and audience reception and my own personal opinion. I'm a bit stunned by it to be honest. I mean, I felt obligated to see this after I read some article headline talking about how it's 'time to start talking about The Big Sick as a Best Picture contender'. The hell? I admit this film had a big heart and the two main characters were likable enough, but otherwise it was such an awfully-made, unfunny, cliched mess. So cliched I nearly puked from the clichedness. I guess it's popular because it's culturally relevant? I mean, I guess it is, in the sense that it's about a Muslim guy dating a white American girl. But there is no weight to any of that, nothing profound or revealing. So what else is there? I guess I'm missing whatever it is.

The Skin I Live In -
+
(Pedro Almodovar, 2011)

[NEW WATCH]

Thankfully I had this movie to come back to. Actually, I watched both these with my buddy, and this was his recommendation. He's been bugging me to watch it with him for some time now. I'm glad I finally did. Completely unpredictable and masterfully written and directed. Normally I feel like I'm one step ahead of the what's going to happen in movies, but this one completely took me by surprise. A very strange film indeed, in the best possible way.

Anyway, I'm going on a road trip for a week tomorrow. I don't know how many movies I will be able to watch in that time, if any. So whoever reads this thread regularly (bless ya soul), expect a short drought here.

The Happening is as bad if not worse than its reputation. What's with you and Iro trying to rehabilate it haha, it's really terrible and so so stupid, my god.

Love you and Iro but jesus christ!

War for the Planet of the Apes -

(Matt Reeves, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

Honestly might be one of the best pieces of blockbuster cinema I've seen. A stunning way to conclude what I call the Ceaser trilogy. And it was the best display of Serkis and his talent. I've been saying it since Rise.... Andy Serkis needs to be the first motion capture actor to win an Oscar for his work. And it should be for Ceaser, in War for the Planet of the Apes. Will it happen? Doubtful. But it should.
I liked this also

Was that Big Sick as Best Picture contender article on BirthMoviesDeath? They seem quite hyped about the film so I'm still willing to give it a shot, but yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it just ends up being passable. The Skin I Live In has been on my Netflix watchlist for a while so this might be the kick I need to get around to it.

The Happening is as bad if not worse than its reputation. What's with you and Iro trying to rehabilate it haha, it's really terrible and so so stupid, my god.

Love you and Iro but jesus christ!
what-no.gif

But seriously, I'd say the logic is that the absurdity is actually kind of charming and gives it an edge over either the soulless tentpole of Last Airbender or the semi-competent dullness of stuff like The Village. Gotta love that auteur theory being applied to bad dudes like Shyamalan or Michael Bay.

Fair enough, was just surprised to see that. To be fair i've not seen it since it first came out and i've never watched Last Airbender, Lady In The Water, Split or The Visit. The Happening is kind of the Shyamalan low-point i measure the others against. I actually don't mind The Village either so guess i have my Shyamalan blindspots too.

Turns out we're not going until Wednesday. More reviews coming up til then!

I have to return some videotapes.
Very dissapointed to see you not like The Bick Sick. Kumail Nanjiana is one of my favorite comedians. He was so funny in Franklin and Bash and Silicon Valley. I guess ill pass on this.

Seeing Apes tomorrow though!

The Skin I Live In -
+
(Pedro Almodovar, 2011)

[NEW WATCH]

Thankfully I had this movie to come back to. Actually, I watched both these with my buddy, and this was his recommendation. He's been bugging me to watch it with him for some time now. I'm glad I finally did. Completely unpredictable and masterfully written and directed. Normally I feel like I'm one step ahead of the what's going to happen in movies, but this one completely took me by surprise. A very strange film indeed, in the best possible way.
I've been meaning to watch this for the longest time, but kept putting it off. Unpredictable, surprising and strange? I'll be watching it tomorrow.

Cole - regarding The Big Sick, don't let me sway you. It's been a very well-regarded flick, and if you like the comedian, you may very well like it. It just wasn't for me.

MonnoM - I have a feeling you will like The Skin I Live In! At least, I hope you do.

MonnoM - I have a feeling you will like The Skin I Live In! At least, I hope you do.
I'll let you know after I watch it. Have a good feeling about it, especially after reading your review. Expectations are high.

Sin City -
+
(Robert Rodriguez & Frank Miller, 2005)

[REWATCH]

Stylish and brutal to the max in every way, this was my best viewing of the film. It's one that achieves what it sets out to do amazingly well. In fact, I feel like I'm underrating it. I really enjoyed it this time.

The Lego Batman Movie -
+
(Chris McKay, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

Just doesn't have that effortless charm and humor the first one had. I found it pretty unfunny despite it's attempts to be the opposite, and overall failed to become engaged with it.

Jodorowsky's Dune -
+
(Frank Pavich, 2014)

[REWATCH]

Jodorowsky is a man with an unbelievably passionate and ambitious spirit, and that resonates and inspires me profoundly.

Sin City used to be top 100 material for me back in the day but I've been catching it in bits and pieces of it on TV and it doesn't feel like it holds up particularly well.

Lego Batman...I seem to have liked it more than you did, but I can't argue with the assessment that it really doesn't live up to the standards of The Lego Movie.

Really want to see Jodorowsky's Dune.