Your Favourite Australian Movie

Tools    

Fasten your seat belts...
Seeing I'm new here, and an Aussie, I would be interested to see what films you all like that has emerged from this hot dry land!

(New Zealand movies dont' count!!!)

Personally, my fav Aussie movies are:

Romper Stomper
My Brilliant Career
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Breaker Morant
The Castle
Priscilla
Puberty Blues (guilty pleasure)

To tell you the truth, I have never ever seen an Australian flick. Do the Crocodile Dundee films count?? They were SMASHING. Umm..but really I can't recall any true Australian flicks that i have seen.....well thanks for the interestingly original thread i guess

Yes, Croc Dundee films 1 and 2 were Australian.

Arresting your development
Was Mad Max an Australian film?

I like those movies.

Originally Posted by Anonymous Last
Was Mad Max an Australian film?

I like those movies.
Yes, all three. George Miller made them - same guy who made Babe.

Smoove!
"Two men enter, one man leave."

rabbit proof fence
once were warriors

"I can't help it..."
Once Were Warriors was a New Zealand film

My favorite Aussie films are:
Picnic At Hanging Rock (Peter Weir, 1975)
The Boys (Rowan Woods, 1998)
Bad Boy Bubby (Rolf de Heer, 1993)
The Tracker (Rolf de Heer, 2002)
Alexandra's Project (Rolf de Heer, 2003)
Rabbit-Proof Fence (Philip Noyce, 2002)
Beneath Clouds (Ivan Sen, 2002)
Moulin Rouge! (Baz Luhrmann, 2001)
The Hard Word (Scott Roberts, 2002)
Gettin' Square (Jonathan Teplitzky, 2003)
Walking On Water (Tony Ayres, 2002)
Till Human Voices Wake Us (Michael Petroni, 2002)
The Castle (Rob Sitch, 1997)
Japanese Story (Sue Brooks, 2003)

Well, thats all I can think of... at the moment...
Grilled (Jason Ensler, 2006) ****
An Inconvenient Truth (David Guggenheim, 2006) ****
The Family Stone (Thomas Bezucha, 2005) ***1/2
Rocky III (Sylvester Stallone, 1982) ***
--------------------------------------------
Visit My Blog!

or, my myspace!

Originally Posted by casa
rabbit proof fence
Yeah that was a good one.

I also liked Finding Nemo!

Moulin Rogue? Which studio was it and where was it shot? Having an Australian director and lead actress doesn't exactly qualify it as an Aussie flick does it? That would be like saying A clockwork Orange is American! My favourite Aussie is Romper Stomper which was in parts, mind blowing. Chopper is also excellent so I hear, it's on it's way to my house courtesy of Play.com

Gallipoli - this is one ofmy favorite war movies, Mel does a great job and it is a heartrenching tale about two friends fighting in WWI

So many good movies, so little time.
Flirting
Mad Max
Gallipoli
Crocodile Dundee

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

"I can't help it..."
Originally Posted By Rjoepenk

Moulin Rogue? Which studio was it and where was it shot? Having an Australian director and lead actress doesn't exactly qualify it as an Aussie flick does it? That would be like saying A clockwork Orange is American!
It was shot at Fox Studios in Sydney, Australia. The entire crew was Australian, it was written and directed by Australians... How Australian do you want it!?

Randomly visiting for now
I liked Rabbit Proof Fence, I thought it really represented what happened to the stolen generation in Australia in all of its entirity. It's a compelling story that while slow in story development the scenes are beautiful and the cast is perfect. Well that's my favourite, I'm sure I've seen other Aussie films that I liked but didn't know they were Australian .

I am having a nervous breakdance
Anyone seen Bad Boy Bubby? I liked that one a lot.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Anyone seen Bad Boy Bubby? I liked that one a lot.
Nope I haven't seen it yet

Mad Max, if some more mainstream Aussie films can be mentioned, i may have seen them.
Bad Taste and Braindead, if you want to throw in New Zealand films as well

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Chopper is my favorite Oz film by far. Eric Bana is brilliant as the legendary australian crime figure.
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."