The Disaster Artist

Tools    

Is anyone else oddly looking forward to this? It's based on the book by Greg Sestero about the making of The Room and the oddball friendship between Sestero and Tommy Wiseau. James Franco is playing Wiseau...

I can't wait to see the scene where Lisa is tearing Johnny apart. Can Franco capture the intensity of such an emotional scene? I'll definitely stay tuned to find out.

I just sent that photo to a friend the other day. I don't know how he did it, but there's definitely a lot of resemblance!

I'm really looking forward to this, the cast is stellar. I've heard Franco is pretty dodgy in terms of his directorial work, but I don't care, it's going to be a hell of a time to see that production play out on film. I really hope Franco goes complete bonkers with this one, he works with those kind of roles very well, just look at Spring Breakers.

Tommy, and Greg even have cameos. That's just perfect.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Well, the film received a standing ovation at SXSW, and it's sitting at an early 100 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. Consider me even more pumped.

Must be doin sumthin right
Can't put too much stock into a SXSW crowd reaction, especially since it was played to a bunch of The Room fans. Still looking forward to this, though

Much more worthy of some kind of ovation is the fact that James Franco has 18 (!!) credits to his name in 2017. He directed eight of them, most are features not shorts and one is an HBO series he stars in playing the two lead roles of identical twins

Welcome to the human race...
I'm still a bit skeptical because I haven't particularly enjoyed that much of the content by the talent involved, but I figure there's (no pun intended) room for this to be done right. I do like the idea that it's going to be like Ed Wood and actually try to show some nuance regarding the behind-the-scenes drama rather than just wallowing in the same ironic detachment that's attached to The Room itself, but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Welcome to the human race...
Always interesting to see a trailer that pretty much consists of one instantly-definitive scene. Still looks like it's playing up the "this movie was so bad" angle, but of course you don't want to hit people with the deeper emotions right off the bat.

Related: I'm going to see this in theaters in Seattle with a bunch of friends (I've seen it before, but not in public). As most of you probably know (or have guessed), public screenings of The Room have evolved into Rocky Horror Picture Show-style audience-participation performance art. I've been to one of those, too, and I'm curious as to how it'll compare, since the traditions there have built up over decades.

Related: I'm going to see this in theaters in Seattle with a bunch of friends (I've seen it before, but not in public). As most of you probably know (or have guessed), public screenings of The Room have evolved into Rocky Horror Picture Show-style audience-participation performance art. I've been to one of those, too, and I'm curious as to how it'll compare, since the traditions there have built up over decades.
Yeah i was talking to a guy on another site who has been to several of those in New York City and has met Tommy and the dude who wrote the book - Greg right?

The Room is kinda incredible but it's also not something i could watch alone, for every hilarious moment there's a boring one. Watching it with people is the best though; non stop laughter. I'd probably just watch clips or the nostalgia critic review or something if i was alone.

Definitely interested in this, want to read the book too.

First time I saw it was with the accompanying RiffTrax. Then I saw it again later with a group of friends standalone, and yeah, that's the way to go. So I guess seeing it in theaters completes the trifecta.

So love that recreating how bad at acting and how non-human Tommy seems is probably the biggest challenge an actor could face

Franco sounds too normal in that trailer.

He still sounds like Franco to me.
He does. You can tell he tries an imitation when he says the line but it's not quite there.

The only time i've heard Tommy speak outside of the film is in a making of the room thing which is just as insane as the film. He speaks normally (normally for Tommy) during parts of it then parts have clearly been dubbed over what he was saying later on for some unknown reason, because of that it's probably the best and most informative Making Of doc because that's got to have been how the creative process was

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
He does. You can tell he tries an imitation when he says the line but it's not quite there.

The only time i've heard Tommy speak outside of the film is in a making of the room thing which is just as insane as the film. He speaks normally (normally for Tommy) during parts of it then parts have clearly been dubbed over what he was saying later on for some unknown reason, because of that it's probably the best and most informative Making Of doc because that's got to have been how the creative process was
I saw a midnight interactive screening of The Room with Tommy doing a Q&A beforehand. While we were lined up outside, he came by with a football, started throwing it to people in line.

He wore shades at all times, even inside. Wear 8 belts, which was a secret as to why. He was selling memorabilia before the film too.