Mad Max: Fury Road - Most overrated movie of 2015?

Tools    

I'm not sure about its promotion in America, but here in Australia, it's 'critically acclaimed' and is being praised for being amazingly good.

I went and watched it at the cinema the other night and wasn't as impressed as the media led me to believe I would be. Apart from some absolutely brilliant cinematography and sound, the plot was basically drive from A to B and back with the addition of a ridiculous amount of guns, engines and flames.

It didn't have any substance for me. Some scenes conveyed emotion pretty well, but it didn't make me care as much as it could have or should have. It's a semi-decent action flick as watching about 2.5 hours of car chasing gets old eventually. They still did a great job at directing an absurdly long car chase movie and keeping it as interesting as they did, but a bit more variation would have been refreshing.

What're your thoughts? Was it worthy of the hype train?

I loved it and am planning to see it again in a couple of days.

I agree it was light on substance, but I wasn't expecting much in that regard anyway. It was pretty much exactly what I had expected and hoped for.

Going to a Max Max movie expecting "substance" would be like going to Carl's Jr expecting to be served French cuisine.

That really says more about the patron than the establishment itself.

I agree with the guys at the /Filmcast on this one.

http://www.slashfilm.com/filmcast-ep...e/#more-295042

The film is, despite only being out for a week, something that will be considered a modern classic.

First and foremost, it uses real stunts and real cars and real action far more often that modern films would dare. With something like The Avengers everything is CGI and just fake looking. With Mad Max, even when there is CGI, there's still practical stunts in the frame. It has a weight and danger to it that isn't present anymore in film.

If that's not important enough in this age of computer characters, it's also telling a story in a fashion that really just hasn't ever been done before. It's one of the rare cases of a film being truly original.

Speaking of telling a story in a fashion we're not used to; what is the bad guys back story? We don't know because it doesn't matter. What is Furiosa's back story? We don't know and it doesn't matter. What we know is he is bad, she was, and she doesn't want to be bad anymore. The film doesn't waste time dwelling on the set up because this is the part of the story that is typically the least exciting. Just look at any superhero franchise. The second one is almost always the best because we don't have to spend time watching an origin story. Mad Max dumps the viewer headlong into the action and takes you for a ride. What makes this approach truly amazing and groundbreaking is that Miller still manages to explain the motivation of the characters within the action. He still manages to make the audience care. I don't know about you, but when

WARNING: "Spoilers" spoilers below
Furiosa finds out her home is gone I felt her devastation and her grief. It's a surprisingly powerful moment.

He also manages these story feats with almost no exposition at all. The world, the characters, and the story are all conveyed naturally. There's no one holding your hand explaining the world or who individuals are. It just exists and expects the viewer to pick it up as they watch. For example, Furiosa at one point mentions the names of the groups pursuing her and it tells you everything you need to know. There's no one there saying "the Bullet Farmer! He's the guy who does whatever." She just says it and you accept it. Personally, I found this refreshing and exciting.

If that's not enough, the film itself truly is unlike any film experience I can even remember. It's the closest thing to a ride I've ever experienced in a movie theater. It felt more physical than any film I've ever watched. Instead of being an emotional or mental challenge, it was a visceral one.

I guess I'm saying I loved it.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I'm envious of the experience everyone else had.

Im tired of all these useless threads about a film being overrated or sexist.... its a film.. something to watch and enjoy.... either you like it or you dont... .to each their own opinion... some like to start fights (not disagreements, but fights) in these threads.. go find your drama somewhere else.. and not this board...

I personally loved it.. it was great... but I enjoy action films..

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Just saw this yesterday. So happy that the film actually exceeded the hype! Beautiful colors, cinematography, very little use of CGI (thanks GM). Fast cutting during action sequences usually leave me frustrated, but not this time. GM instructed his cinematographers to keep the actors centered in the action. Worked great. Magnificent over-the-top vehicles and peripherals (the guitar player actually played and shot fire for real).
We don't really want a plot, we want one giant chase, and this is exactly what the movie delivers. It would've been so easy to drift on the MM franchise and get lazy, but not this time. They put the work into this one, and it ended up as a real solid film done up right. Finally, a movie that earns every cent of the ticket (and the popcorn).

I was looking forward to seeing it and I wasn't disappointed at all. In fact it exceeded my expectations quite a bit so it's not over rated in my eyes

I was looking forward to seeing it and I wasn't disappointed at all. In fact it exceeded my expectations quite a bit so it's not over rated in my eyes
This. I've seen it twice and already pre-ordered the blu ray.

I went and watched it at the cinema the other night and wasn't as impressed as the media led me to believe I would be. Apart from some absolutely brilliant cinematography and sound, the plot was basically drive from A to B and back with the addition of a ridiculous amount of guns, engines and flames.
Well, you know, you are not going to love every film that's praised. Thats because people differ from each other in sensibilities.

Im tired of all these useless threads about a film being overrated or sexist.... its a film.. something to watch and enjoy.... either you like it or you dont... .to each their own opinion... some like to start fights (not disagreements, but fights) in these threads.. go find your drama somewhere else.. and not this board...
People who haven't learned that their taste might be different from another's. I was guilty of this in the past too.

Welcome to the human race...
I'm starting to think Kung Fury is my current pick for most overrated movie of the year.

I'm starting to think Kung Fury is my current pick for most overrated movie of the year.
It's this kind of talk about a film obviously that bad which will do nothing but encourage me.