We are in one of the biggest transitions of change in film history

Tools    

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide

And that is the shift from photochemical film to digital. The process of moving to an entirely new negative format to capture the moving image. Prior to the digital revolution, the science of filmmaking was a naturalistic and even somewhat chemical reactive phenomenon. There is nothing electronic or technological about how film works. Fundamentally and at its most merited level, it's all about how the chemicals on the film, itself, react to natural light.

For many years, I was under the preconceived notion that there was something more intricate to the process of capturing the moving image. But there's not. Essentially, natural light hits the film still and this consequently engenders a chemical reaction where the film reacts to the strength, density, and positioning of the incoming light. From here, a shape is formed. And this shape is what you've captured. It's amazing. All movie cameras do is capture around 24 of these film frames per second. The film is just rolling through the camera at an extremely excessive pace, and captures still photographs in the process. There is no recording of movement. Film does not actually capture movement, contrary to what some believe. It's simply a series of still frames. The magic, however, comes alive in 35mm film projection. I'll get to this soon.

Anyway, after we capture something onto photochemical film (illustration above), it needs to get processed and developed, which is, in itself, an art form, especially when you're dealing with the complexities and intricacies of colour film. After this, of course, we go through editorial, colour grading and the likes to get a complete product, a final film. Ultimately, you're left with a film print - a long, continuous series of still frames. So how to we actually make this move? Simple. Put this film reel behind a shining light bulb, project at 24 frames per second, and then magic happens. This is fundamentally how a film projector operates:

The lamp/light (on the lefthand side of the picture) goes through one still film frame at a time and is subsequently projected onto a large screen. This happens 24 times a second, and, because of this (and the integral role of the shutter), we get this alluring illusion of movement. It's really, really beautiful. For so long this was the only method of actually watching a film - but then came the invention of television broadcasting and home entertainment (i.e., VHS, LaserDisc, DVD).

This is only a very general summation and overview, but what I have briefly described so far is, for so long, what the medium of filmmaking had ever know. The only format that was capable of capturing an image was photochemical film; a very physical invention where the only source of 'life' and 'battery' was natural light. That's rather amazing.

Up until the early-2000s, with a few exceptions, every single film ever made used photochemical film, whether it be 8mm, 16mm, 35mm or 70mm, as its primary negative format. Just think about it - all of those favourite films of yours from the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s all used - yep, you guessed it - film. And all the time we would take a trip to the cinemas, we watch a film print. A series of still photographs going through a light bulb at 24 frames per-second. This was all we ever associated with the medium of filmmaking.

But over the last 15 years, that's changed. A majority of films today no longer use photochemical film as its negative format. It's all digital. The process of capturing an image is so much different to what it used to be. There is no longer film in a camera - there is no longer a chemical reaction, a natural reaction. There is no longer something we can physically touch.

Digital cameras still react to light, but they covert these images to digital files. Just think about how truly significant this is - for so long, we created films photochemically, with film we could actually see and touch. Now it's stored in mathematical numbers and equations and placed in a media file. It's startling how dissimilar it is. It's a completely new way to capture an image. There is, essentially, a completely new negative format. And then there is digital projection.

Film projection obviously projects film. This we know of. Digital projection projects media files from a hard-drive. Just think about the vast disparity there. From a film print going through a light bulb to a digital file because projected onto a screen . It's essentially like a larger, higher resolution version of a DVD or Blu-ray. Most theatres in the world now project digitally. Just think about the dissimilarities from a technical viewpoint. It's staggering.

VS.

As you can see, digital projectors look much different to a traditional film projector because you're not physically projecting anything. You're just projecting a media file. And this transition happened so seamlessly - the masses, the audiences barely noticed. The way we watch films, theatrically, now, as opposed to 20 years ago is so much different, from both a technical and perceptive level. There is no longer a shutter. We are no longer watching an illusion.

The film industry is slowly abandoning the negative format that was so intimately connected with the medium for over 100 years. We are no longer using photochemical film. We are no longer capturing the image the way the image used to be capture before. We are now using something completely new and we are theatrically presenting them in a completely new way, as well. This is a colossal change that barely spawns enough debate and conversation.

This thread isn't designed to talk about which is superior or which is inferior - I just thought it would be good to highlight this incremental transition that is profoundly affecting the medium we all clearly love here. Of course, there are numerous advantages and disadvantages to the digital transition - it impacts all facets in the filmmaking process from cinematography to lighting to distribution to preservation to acting to directing to editing to colour grading. There is so much more to talk about, but hopefully an explication can occur and some of these avenues can be explored in this thread.

Master of My Domain
Okay, first of all, you need a clap.

Amazing thread and a good topic. I do agree that we're living inside a huge change- that will change nearly everything including film. I'm lookin forward to this change since it will open so many new possibilities... but I have a problem.

My opinion is, there isn't enough quality to match technology. Kubrick, if born in this generation would have made even greater films because of the technology supporting his mind. However these days I find the quality of filmmaking not as great as past decades. I feel like the new technology of film is being almost wasted.

Also because of the digital change, it may just me be, but the movies are losing a certain warmth that was human and approachable. I don't have a problem with digitalization at all, its just that I strongly believe at least movies need to stay the way they are in certain aspects, as movies are supposed to be close to us and relate to us and be a good friend. And even if an age comes where people start to dare programs like in Her, I will be sticking with the reality.

This is simply my opinion, and I'm not even sure about it. I don't have a great analysis and film technique knowledge but this was a great topic and thread that I wanted to contribute to and discuss.

We briefly talked about this in Swan and Neiba's "Movie a Day by the Bay" thread a week ago, as Swan had just seen the documentary Side By Side, which tackles the transition from photochemical filmmaking to digitial film creation. I had this to say about it then:

I've also seen Side By Side a few weeks ago. It's pretty interesting. I'm personally very open-minded about the debate "film vs digital". Both can look fantastic when done well and both can be total crap.

Film of course has that romantic and nostalgic aura around it and there's nothing cooler than seeing a director playing around with film stock, but I think we're evolving to a status where it ultimately doesn't really matter anymore what you use to tell your story or show your thing.

The rise of digital filmmaking has given us a whole new range of different tools, but ultimately the only thing that's really important is in which way those tools are used and for what purpose.
The quality of digital filmmaking is not really a problem anymore, so I don't think the possible "issue" that people can still have with digital filmmaking lies there. One element of this that (I think) could be an interesting subject of discussion, though, is in fact what Gatsby is saying. I'll quote him because he described it very well:

The movies are losing a certain warmth that was human and approachable.
First we have to analyze where this feeling of warmth we sometimes experience when watching a film comes from. I personally think it's originated in the fact that we recognize something inherently "human" or "real" ("true") in the picture we're watching, not only story-wise, but also visually.
Film basically offers the same process as the eyes. Instead of an image being projected on our retina, it gets projected on a piece of photochemical film (usually at a rate of 24 frames a second) and like that shows a very "honest" projection of what the lens perceives.
Digital movie making converts what the lens captures into binary language, millions of 0s and 1s that represent the color grade of a single pixel.

Theoretically, this sounds like film has an advantage compared to digital filmmaking. It seems less calculated, more raw, more human, more warm...
In practice, we have to be honest with ourselves, though. It's really difficult (pretty much impossible even) these times to see the difference between something that's filmed with a high quality digital camera and something that's filmed with a film camera. The pixels are so numerous and the degree to which the pixel can be manipulated is so extremely high... It approaches perfection.

Why are certain digital films still perceived as emotionally "colder" by some people then? Some say it's just in their mind, but I believe there's something more to it and I don't think it actually has anything to do with the notion that the movie is shot on photochemical film or not. It's the fact that the movies are now digitally edited in post production (you also get a look at that part of the digital revolution in Side By Side).

Hear me out.

Films used to be edited with the tangible stock actually being manipulated. Every effect was achieved by physically cutting, pasting or overlapping the film stock. A fine example for instance is the dissolve technique. In the past, the filmmaker had to overlap the fade-out of a scene with the fade-in of another scene. Nowadays, we just click on the effect in the editing programme we're using and BOOM, it's there. We don't even need a fade-in or a fade-out anymore. Everything from editing techniques to visual effects (Yoda's puppet gets replaced by a completely new CGI form for instance) can now be done in post-production. We simply need to manipulate the binary formula of the movie, instead of handling the physical images we created. The connection between the footage and the end result gets much looser.

The fact that the possibilities of post-production have become almost infinite is both enlightening and dangerous. On the one hand it gives the filmmakers and creative minds behind films way more control over the end result of the film. They're not dependent on the actual footage anymore. We can pretty much create a whole new scene out of the footage. George Lucas is one the most famous people who has spoken extensively about this and who very much embraces this new revolution, but at the same time he's also a great example of the dangers that this shift in balance could implicate. A controlling mind, a perfectionist, who wants to get everything just right the way he wants to, will tend to overuse and even ultimately abuse the new possibilities that digital post-production has to offer. The original image will be manipulated in such an extreme way, that it ultimately may lose its visual honesty, its truth, its warmth...

The fact that we now capture or project most films digitally is a huge change, but it's the post-production, the process in between the two, that makes the digital revolution truly visible on our screens. It's there where you can actually enhance the quality of your film with the new possibilities that new filmmaking technology has provided or where you can totally ruin it, where you can make audiences explore new visual wonders or where you can make the film lose its warmth...

I stand by what I said. "The only thing that's really important is in which way the new tools are used and for what purpose."

P.S. One of the most prolific directors of our time, David Fincher, is a great example of someone who mostly manages to use the new, digital possibilities in a sensible and quality-enhancing manner. Here's a short (2 minutes) video for instance that shows the digital visual effects that subtly improved the experience of his newest film, Gone Girl (which was of course shot and edited digitally). He fools us without losing visual integrity. I bet you didn't notice these effects when watching the movie.

Click on it. Because of privacy settings, you have to watch it on vimeo.

Being both subdued and effective when using the new tools digital film technology is offering us, has become an art by itself...

I feel like most arguments in favor of film are based on nostalgia. We're not losing anything by switching to digital, we just have to adjust to it in many ways. And maybe even not - does anyone watch a Fincher film and for a second think "this is terrible because it's digital"? Well, not most people. A movie is as good as the director and cast and crew make it, digital or not. Plenty of films have been made both digitally and with film that are good, and plenty have been made that are bad. I love film, I too feel a bit nostalgic about it, but digital isn't going anywhere and is in fact becoming more and more prominent. In the words of Robert Rodriguez, it's time to be a part of that.

If we went back in time and The Godfather was shot digitally, would it look the same and would it be the same film it is now? If it wouldn't, I would like to know why. If it would, that makes this whole "film vs. digital" debate pointless and a waste of time.

If we went back in time and The Godfather was shot digitally, would it look the same and would it be the same film it is now? If it wouldn't, I would like to know why. If it would, that makes this whole "film vs. digital" debate pointless and a waste of time.
I think nowadays a certain issue people have is that everything in a film looks too clean and polished, you can tell its digital because there's no scratch marks, everything is nice and shiny etc.

When you watch older films, especially ones from the Seventies they have a certain faded look, the blacks look different, the colour is faded in parts, it's grainy etc.

Something like that would now look totally different.

In real terms it's better quality. But people go to the movies for the 'movies experience' and a lot of people love the older films that capture a time gone by, there's just a certain romance that has developed between moviegoers and film that's hard to pinpoint but is definitely there.

That's not to say digital films can't be beautiful too, a lot are. As I say, there's just something special about the imperfect and mysterious quality of capturing it on film (where they had less time and money to perfect everything) that makes it so attractive.

I need to wake up a bit more before I can throw in on this.

But for now, the current stigma between digital and film is the same position our parents and grandparents were in when CDs took over from Records.

I'll have a think about this thread for a bit and some more coffee. Feeling a bit urgh at the moment, just woke up.

I'm not completely sure if it is allowed or not. I will email my teacher once it has handed in tomorrow.
Don't get yourself into trouble, but I'd love to read it.

Ok.

The argument between D and F, is that something "gets lost". Film is better looking, or simply more pleasing to the eye.

This throws back to old photography I think. I remember early digital cameras and I hated them. I was a stalwart pal of my SLR "Film" Camera whereas my Brother was buying digital cameras and harping about how great they were.
I could see, physically see, that they were crap. Total utter crap. Bad imagery all round. The colours were spot on, they were just blocky.

I remember saying about how they were easier to get a clearer picture in that you could see the image immediately, and delete one where someone had blinked or the camera had moved and you got a blurry pic.
And I remember saying along the lines of "give it a few years when the tech has improved and they might be great" but for now, they're complete pap.

The transition from crap Digital imagery to good Digital imagery, photos or movies, has been a gradual effect. Unnoticed.
Like a person aging, I haven't seen me age when I look in the mirror, but when I look at a photo of me 10 years ago, I see the difference.

Digital has leaped and bounded so far since the early 90s it's hard to believe the difference and I find it hard when people say Digital loses, let's say "the soul" of the movie.

Comparing The Godfather with "if it was shot in Digital it wouldn't be the same"... and I totally agree. It wouldn't. A remake (blasphemy) or a similar movie to The Godfather would though.

But reverse that mentality. Would a movie like The Amazing Spider-Man, Life Of Pi, Dredd or even, get this, Lawless, have worked on Film?

Lawless, possibly, in fact probably... but this is the point I want to make that Digital has come along massive amounts.
Lawless is one of the best looking movies I've seen in a long time. I had absolutely no idea it was a Digital movie.
Zero Dark Thirty is another Digital movie that looks fantastic. To the point it's hard to tell.

127 Hours, Zombieland, Slumdog Millionaire, 28 Days Later, Collateral and even Once Upon A Time In Mexico too. Totally Digital.

Digital was awful when it first came about as I said. But over the years it's improved massively.

Digital has opened the doors to creativity, but the major problem is the way it's used.
Special Effects for the sake of it. Greenscreen for the sake of it. CGI for the sake of it.
Because it's easier. Cheaper. More time efficient.
Less effort, almost the same outcome.

Star Wars Episode II is definitely one of the worst for it. They went totally Digital, Episode I was partially FIlm, partially Digital... at a time when Digital was still not great. And Ep II looks like a cartoon.
Episode III was fully Digital, and looked better because Digital had improved technologically since Ep II.

A huge example of this misuse of Digital though... LOTR Trilogy Vs The Hobbit Trilogy.
LOTR had been using Digital to back up Film.
The Hobbit used Film to back up Digital... and The Hobbit isn't a patch on LOTR visually and has I agree, lost a part of its soul.

But this is the way Digital has been used, not Digital itself.

Fact: Considering the cameras they used, Slumdog Millionaire would not be the same if shot on film. There's no way.

Master of My Domain
CGI may have increased the creativity of films, but I partially disagree.

What's important in a good movie is the story and characters. In the past when there were no fancy effects filmmakers tried to focus more on the two, and thus quality films were born.

But at the same time I'm not saying that the use of CGI completely ruins the basic of the movie. There are a lot of films that have amazing CGI as well as a rich themes and plot. I would say that the 90s is the peak of that period where movies such as Terminator 2: Judgement Day, The Matrix were born.

However these days the balance of the two has been ruined. The producers, realizing that all you need is CGI, focused entirely on looking good and spectacular, especially the explosions which according to them can triumph over plot.

In a way, digital filmmaking is spoiling everyone. This doesn't mean that we should all start using the traditional ways again, but having a mix of both. Using digital when needed and also using the traditional way when needed.

Allow me to preface by saying that this thread was created to highlight - what is - a historical transition in the medium of filmmaking. I did not advocate one negative format over the other, but I am glad we're seeing a discussion that is progressively exploring these notions.

Okay, first of all, you need a clap.

Amazing thread and a good topic. I do agree that we're living inside a huge change- that will change nearly everything including film. I'm lookin forward to this change since it will open so many new possibilities... but I have a problem.

My opinion is, there isn't enough quality to match technology. Kubrick, if born in this generation would have made even greater films because of the technology supporting his mind. However these days I find the quality of filmmaking not as great as past decades. I feel like the new technology of film is being almost wasted.

Also because of the digital change, it may just me be, but the movies are losing a certain warmth that was human and approachable. I don't have a problem with digitalization at all, its just that I strongly believe at least movies need to stay the way they are in certain aspects, as movies are supposed to be close to us and relate to us and be a good friend. And even if an age comes where people start to dare programs like in Her, I will be sticking with the reality.

This is simply my opinion, and I'm not even sure about it. I don't have a great analysis and film technique knowledge but this was a great topic and thread that I wanted to contribute to and discuss.
Thank you for the reply, Gatsby, and the nice words.

Photochemical film, undoubtedly, spawns a very distinctive look in comparison to digital photography. Whether one personally prefers this look or not is entirely subjective, but a lot of today's films that use 35mm as their negative format today are heavily impeded during (customary) digital intermediate. On one level, distinguishing the difference between a picture shot on film and a picture shot on digital today is nearly indiscernible. This is because all projects that use film are scanned onto computers for editorial, colour grading and distribution. The film look is dying due to the DI, and this is why various filmmakers no longer opt to shoot with it. Inside Llewyn Davis, the Coen brothers' latest work, was shot on 35mm. However, even the filmmakers, themselves, admitted that this film went through a ruthless DI - the colour grading and picture contrasting was excessive. And that is evident in the final product of the film. I was rather surprised to discover under its technical specifications that the film was shot on 35mm and not digital.

Hear me out.

Films used to be edited with the tangible stock actually being manipulated. Every effect was achieved by physically cutting, pasting or overlapping the film stock. A fine example for instance is the dissolve technique. In the past, the filmmaker had to overlap the fade-out of a scene with the fade-in of another scene. Nowadays, we just click on the effect in the editing programme we're using and BOOM, it's there. We don't even need a fade-in or a fade-out anymore. Everything from editing techniques to visual effects (Yoda's puppet gets replaced by a completely new CGI form for instance) can now be done in post-production. We simply need to manipulate the binary formula of the movie, instead of handling the physical images we created. The connection between the footage and the end result gets much looser.

The fact that the possibilities of post-production have become almost infinite is both enlightening and dangerous. On the one hand it gives the filmmakers and creative minds behind films way more control over the end result of the film. They're not dependent on the actual footage anymore. We can pretty much create a whole new scene out of the footage. George Lucas is one the most famous people who has spoken extensively about this and who very much embraces this new revolution, but at the same time he's also a great example of the dangers that this shift in balance could implicate. A controlling mind, a perfectionist, who wants to get everything just right the way he wants to, will tend to overuse and even ultimately abuse the new possibilities that digital post-production has to offer. The original image will be manipulated in such an extreme way, that it ultimately may lose its visual honesty, its truth, its warmth...

The fact that we now capture or project most films digitally is a huge change, but it's the post-production, the process in between the two, that makes the digital revolution truly visible on our screens. It's there where you can actually enhance the quality of your film with the new possibilities that new filmmaking technology has provided or where you can totally ruin it, where you can make audiences explore new visual wonders or where you can make the film lose its warmth...

I stand by what I said. "The only thing that's really important is in which way the new tools are used and for what purpose."
Thanks for the reply, Cobpyth, and a very well-written post.

You've nailed it when it comes to the digital intermediate. Prior to digital editing, colour grading, distribution and projection, we primarily edited with processed film on editing tables (i.e., a Flatbed or a Molovia). We would cut film here and paste other film there. It was practical, and this is why many early editors were, in fact, females - it was like a sewing process in its infancy. After editing on one of those analog systems, you were ultimately left with a print; metres-long worth of still edited photographs (i.e., the final product). This print would then subsequently be copied and reprinted thousands of times like a newspaper would and then get distributed all around the world to theatres. It was an analog process, where digital technology played absolutely no role, and this is why films then had such a distinctive look - the film used in editorial was not scanned onto a computer, it was not theatrically presented via. digital projection, and its colours, brightness, contrast and shades were not tampered with digitally. Movies today that still elect to shoot on 35mm photochemical film go through a relentless DI, and this consequently impedes the 'film look' immensely, something you rightfully alluded to. So, yes, absolutely - post-production plays an imperative component in this debate.

Take The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - this work was shot on 35mm, but who could honestly tell? Same with Edge of Tomorrow. The upcoming Jurassic Work is, too. And, yet, funnily enough, none of these films can really even be seen in the format it was shot on. Good luck coming across a 35mm film print of The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

I feel like most arguments in favor of film are based on nostalgia. We're not losing anything by switching to digital, we just have to adjust to it in many ways. And maybe even not - does anyone watch a Fincher film and for a second think "this is terrible because it's digital"? Well, not most people. A movie is as good as the director and cast and crew make it, digital or not. Plenty of films have been made both digitally and with film that are good, and plenty have been made that are bad. I love film, I too feel a bit nostalgic about it, but digital isn't going anywhere and is in fact becoming more and more prominent. In the words of Robert Rodriguez, it's time to be a part of that.
Thanks for the reply, Swan.

Nostalgia plays an instrumental role. As I alluded to in my original post, photochemical is all we've ever associated with the medium of filmmaking. It's all we have ever known. When auters like Lucas and Coppola pushed digital, they were the recipient of a lot of ardent backlash and resentment. And you can see why. However, yes, at the end of the day, it is and always will be about how the film tells its story. This is the very fundamental core of the medium. I would rather see a great film shot on an iPhone than I would a poor one shot on 70mm film. I think we can all agree on that one. I am happy digital is not going anywhere - it has numerous advantages, especially when it comes to workflow on set. Moreover, having the ability to physically see what you're capturing during principal photography is one thing photochemical film never allowed. And digital is still in its infancy - it is staggering how quickly the resolution and picture quality has improved and within such a short amount of time. I am optimistic about its future. I am also a proponent for film and digital sharing serene coexistence, but it seems like we're being forced to choose one over the other.

Thanks for the reply, BlueLion.

I do not think it is a waste of time. Cinematographically, shooting on one negative format over another is technically a very different process, particularly when it comes to lighting and framing. That, there, renders this debate salient, especially if you care about the technical art of filmmaking and cinematography. It also has impacted editorial immensely - from traditional cut and paste film editing to computer softwares and media? That is huge. However, I absolutely agree that filmmaking is strictly a storytelling medium and it doesn't matter what you're shooting on just as long as you are telling a story. But I think this debate is an important one. After all, we have changed the way we are capturing the image.

I think nowadays a certain issue people have is that everything in a film looks too clean and polished, you can tell its digital because there's no scratch marks, everything is nice and shiny etc.

When you watch older films, especially ones from the Seventies they have a certain faded look, the blacks look different, the colour is faded in parts, it's grainy etc.

Something like that would now look totally different.

In real terms it's better quality. But people go to the movies for the 'movies experience' and a lot of people love the older films that capture a time gone by, there's just a certain romance that has developed between moviegoers and film that's hard to pinpoint but is definitely there.

That's not to say digital films can't be beautiful too, a lot are. As I say, there's just something special about the imperfect and mysterious quality of capturing it on film (where they had less time and money to perfect everything) that makes it so attractive.
Thanks for the reply, Daniel.

I agree about that distinctive film look, and the reason why we don't see it anymore is because of many, many things. Firstly, digital intermediate, the customary post-production process that all films, including those shot on 35mm, go through. Secondly, the quality and production of the film stock being used. Some 35mm film reacts to strengths and densities of incoming light differently. Some shape and form the contrasts of shades and colours differently. Some film stock is designed to capture selected colours vividly and brightly, whereas others are designed to capture other selected colours more bleakly and dilutely. Electing which film stock to shoot on is a huge artistic and aesthetic decision that the cinematographer and director face.

Literally just finished a 2500 word essay on this. Good stuff!
If you ever have the opportunity to share it, please do. Thanks, Rhys.

Ok.
The argument between D and F, is that something "gets lost". Film is better looking, or simply more pleasing to the eye.

This throws back to old photography I think. I remember early digital cameras and I hated them. I was a stalwart pal of my SLR "Film" Camera whereas my Brother was buying digital cameras and harping about how great they were.
I could see, physically see, that they were crap. Total utter crap. Bad imagery all round. The colours were spot on, they were just blocky.

I remember saying about how they were easier to get a clearer picture in that you could see the image immediately, and delete one where someone had blinked or the camera had moved and you got a blurry pic.
And I remember saying along the lines of "give it a few years when the tech has improved and they might be great" but for now, they're complete pap.

The transition from crap Digital imagery to good Digital imagery, photos or movies, has been a gradual effect. Unnoticed.
Like a person aging, I haven't seen me age when I look in the mirror, but when I look at a photo of me 10 years ago, I see the difference.

Digital has leaped and bounded so far since the early 90s it's hard to believe the difference and I find it hard when people say Digital loses, let's say "the soul" of the movie.
Thanks for the reply, The Rodent.

Yes, despite digital still being somewhat in its technological infancy, the improvements that have been made are staggeringly good. We're already seeing production of 6K digital cameras - something that could very well exceed the resolution of 35mm photochemical film, and essentially spawn a sharper and clearer image. But advocates of film argue that the image is too clean and too pristine, losing all of its naturalistic imperfections like grain. I don't necessarily agree with this sentiment, but I can understand it.

Thanks for the reply, BlueLion.

I do not think it is a waste of time. Cinematographically, shooting on one negative format over another is technically a very different process, particularly when it comes to lighting and framing. That, there, renders this debate salient, especially if you care about the technical art of filmmaking and cinematography. It also has impacted editorial immensely - from traditional cut and paste film editing to computer softwares and media? That is huge. However, I absolutely agree that filmmaking is strictly a storytelling medium and it doesn't matter what you're shooting on just as long as you are telling a story. But I think this debate is an important one. After all, we have changed the way we are capturing the image.
Thanks for replying too, but you still didn't give an answer to my question. I already know the differences as far as the filmmaking process is concerned, I'm more interested to know how big of a difference this would make on audiences, which is what films are made for at the end of the day

Thanks for replying too, but you still didn't give an answer to my question. I already know the differences as far as the filmmaking process is concerned, I'm more interested to know how big of a difference this would make on audiences, which is what films are made for at the end of the day
It ultimately makes little difference on a large portion of the audiences, honestly, but I don't personally think that renders the debate pointless. The Godfather would most likely be the same film, yes, but there's no denying it'd have a different visual aesthetic since cinematographically lighting a frame varies between photochemical film and digital. And visual style is wholly salient to how a movie resonates with us.