We are in one of the biggest transitions of change in film history

Tools    

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
We haven't even been making talkies for a hundred years.
We're in the infancy of film.
We're in the infancy of filmmaking as a medium, sure, but reality demonstrates that we're certainly not in the infancy of photochemical film as a negative format to capture the image.

In my opinion, the addition of sound was a bigger change in the film industry then this film vs digital nonsense.
Silent to sound, B&W to colour and even the invention of home media and entertainment were, absolutely, larger and more instrumental alternations to the history of film, but how that notions renders the film vs. digital debate as nonsense is well beyond me.

I am the Watcher in the Night
P.S. One of the most prolific directors of our time, David Fincher, is a great example of someone who mostly manages to use the new, digital possibilities in a sensible and quality-enhancing manner. Here's a short (2 minutes) video for instance that shows the digital visual effects that subtly improved the experience of his newest film, Gone Girl (which was of course shot and edited digitally). He fools us without losing visual integrity. I bet you didn't notice these effects when watching the movie.

Click on it. Because of privacy settings, you have to watch it on vimeo.

Being both subdued and effective when using the new tools digital film technology is offering us, has become an art by itself...
that's damn impressive! I didn't know there was so much green screen in that movie. I'd heard that some of the skies and lighting and weather effects had been added in post production but I had no idea that some of those buildings/interiors were sets.

See, this here is how special effects on digital film should be used, Finchers managed to create a warm environment at times, without becoming sterile like the Star Wars prequels.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"