Best 'True Story' film?

Tools    

xeth.co.uk/movies/
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
It's overwrought, paint-by-numbers TV-movie-of-the-week stuff, with lackluster direction. And the acting was only average. But other than that....
I can totally appreciate where you're coming from. On the other hand, I personally thought the numbers were in the 'right place' - it wasn't anything special in terms of its style of film-making, but as a way of conveying a story and the emotions of its characters, I thought it did well.

You've just described a thousand other movies from the past 10 years which suck. There are so many good movies out there, that to even waste your time with something that is so mediocre and worthless automatically gives it a "it sucks" rating in my books. Sure there are way more worst films out there, and it perhaps was a decent movie, but its just so "who really cares?" So many modern movies fall under this category -- note basically anything lately with Denzel Washington and any heroic army hero story from 90s +.

I must become Caligari..!
Goodfellas
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

EDIT:

I forgot to mention City of God.

I think City of God is one of the best films ever! If you haven't seen it yet, I strongly suggest that you do. Althougth you have to put up with subtitles.

Originally Posted by Parky
I've changed my mind from JFK to City of God.

As much as I love Oliver Stone movies, I think City of God is one of the best films ever! If you haven't seen it yet, I strongly suggest that you do. Althougth you have to put up with subtitles.
I had forgotten about this one, if you want to read a great review of it, just check out LordSlaytan's review's.

Remarkably vivid motion picture based on director Oliver Stone's experiences in Vietnam before he became The Devil. Willem Dafoe and Tom Berenger give the performances of their careers.

Can we try with real bullets now?
City of God
Goodfellas
Raging Bull
Friday Night Lights

I quite like catch me if you can..

didnt see anyone mention Alive, with the crashed plane, avalanches, and cannibals.

other than that, all the good ones have been named.

actually Shattered Glass was pretty good too. the movie about Steven Glass, the dude who fabricated all of his articles.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
It's overwrought, paint-by-numbers TV-movie-of-the-week stuff, with lackluster direction. And the acting was only average. But other than that....
Haha ... don't mince words, tell us how you really feel about this movie.

Among my favourites are:

Donnie Brasco
Glory
Goodfellas
Raging Bull
The Straight Story
The Billionaires Boys Club (granted not the greatest film ever made but I really like it)
Born On The Fourth Of July
City Of God

I can't believe that some of you have included Braveheart and not been picked up on it. I thought that 'inspired by' films weren't allowed? Braveheart is so 'inspired' it's more like a period film.

Originally Posted by honeykid
Among my favourites are:

Donnie Brasco
Glory
Goodfellas
Raging Bull
The Straight Story
The Billionaires Boys Club (granted not the greatest film ever made but I really like it)
City Of God

I can't believe that some of you have included Braveheart and not been picked up on it. I thought that 'inspired by' films weren't allowed? Braveheart is so 'inspired' it's more like a period film.
I love Braveheart and although I cannot argue merits of validity as I was not there it does have a feel of truth to it for me. Of course I have many family roots and stories passed down from ancestors that I grew up with. I do know however that many of the passed down stories mesh with the movie. I think the term "based on" can be used to make people wonder more than believe.

Der Untergang (Downfall)

The one where the plane goes down and they start eating the pilots... They are trapped in snow n stuff..???

Originally Posted by m0dern_pr0phet
The one where the plane goes down and they start eating the pilots... They are trapped in snow n stuff..???
there is a 70's or 80's Mexican film named "Los sobrevivientes de Los Andes" (Los Andes Survivors), the history of a plane with a chilean rugby team that crashes in Los Andes mountains, a few years ago hollywood made a remake named Alive! (or somethign like that)

The Magdalene Sisters
In The Name Of The Father
Gandhi
Ed Wood
Coal Miners Daughter
Man On The Moon
My Left Foot
Monster
Schindlers List

The sea inside
Girl, interrumpted
A beautiful mind

Originally Posted by Pato_Diablo
there is a 70's or 80's Mexican film named "Los sobrevivientes de Los Andes" (Los Andes Survivors), the history of a plane with a chilean rugby team that crashes in Los Andes mountains, a few years ago hollywood made a remake named Alive! (or somethign like that)
Alive .. thats the one I was thinking of.