Best 'True Story' film?

Tools    

amateur pianist
Good Night, and Good Luck

JFK.

That's right, Oswald was just a pawn man

:-?

The Hellen Keller movie is and has always been an excellent movie, I like the new one , but the original is top of the line.

amateur pianist
Iris (2001)

The first years and last years of professor John Bayley and
writer/philosopher Iris Murdoch, who developed Alzheimer's.

Young Iris: Kate Winslet
Young John: Hugh Bonneville

Old Iris: Judi Dench
Old John: Jim Broadbent,
Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role 2002

Blow
Schindlers List
Men of Honour
Goodfellas
American Gangster

Originally Posted by Hauberinia
Saw a great little film on IFC a few weeks ago that they only showed a few times and now I'm kicking myself for not having taped it... "The Straight Story". I know this was a true story because I read it in the newspapers and saw it on the TV news when it was happening.
But apparently you weren't aware of the movie, which was released in 1999, directed by David Lynch (yes, THAT David Lynch), and garnered Farnsworth a Best Actor Oscar nomination. It turned out to be his last role before he took his own life with a shotgun rather than let the cancer ravage his body one moment longer.

So yeah, that little film ain't so little. It was also mentioned two posts above yours.
Damn! I didn't know this. Ernest Hemmingway used the same method to escape the ravaging of Alzheimer's.

Also did not know Dead Poets Society was based off a true story.

It is based off of a semi-autobiographical novel, but my pick is Empire Of The Sun.

People really need to reel in their disdain for Steven Spielberg's storytelling style. The criticism doesn't display any wisdom or deeper understanding of life, not even a superior view of filmmaking/storytelling itself. 90% of the movies listed in the thread done by the directors or writers took creative liberties for the sake of storytelling, and it's still done today.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I was going to say The Battle of Algiers, but does that count as a true story movie since a lot of it was made up for the movie? A lot of JFK was made up to, so does that still count?

Malcolm X, In Cold Blood, Schindler's List, and Lawrence of Arabia are also strong contenders.

The truth is in here
Some movies are categorized as simply History, others are also Biography. The line is a bit grey.

As for my pick...

How I Met Your Mother: The Movie.

The Intouchables. A beautiful French film. I hear Hollywood want to adapt it.

I particularly liked Coal Miner's Daughter, Stand and Deliver, Ed Wood and Apollo 13. I would add Awakenings, starring Robin Williams; and Philomena, which is about a woman whose child was put up for adoption against her consent by nuns.
I understand that Christians (like myself) will see films about Christ as true, while non-Christians won't. With that said, I recommend Jesus of Nazareth (which actually was a miniseries) to Christians.
Flowers in the Attic was promoted as being based on a true story. Author V.C. Andrews said it was a fictionalized version of a story that was told to her. It's not clear which details were made up and which were real.

For all film lovers, I recommend "Based on a True Story: Fact and Fantasy in 100 Favorite Movies" by Jonathan Vankin and John Whalen. It may be disappointing or enlightening, depending on your perspective.

Remember the Titans
Redemption (the Stanley Williams story)
The Straight Story
Cofessions of a Dangerous Mind (which may or may not be real)
Yeah, I think the jury is still out on Confessions of a Dangerous Mind...wonderfully entertaining movie, do I believe everything that happened in it? I just don't buy it.

I don't actually wear pants.
The inspiration for Texas Chain Saw Massacre is incredibly loose. Not only did nothing like that happen, but it's hardly based on anything, except Ed Gein's obsession with making ladies' skins into outfits.

Anyway, the Human Condition trilogy is based on the author's WWII experiences (although it is not a direct translation). Hm, my parenthetical causes me to take pause. Miike's 13 Assassins is supposed to be based on an actual event, although dramatized for the screen. The Korean film My Sassy Girl is based on something that happened; the main male character is the person who wrote pulp articles (I believe) on what happened to him with the gal. Big Short happened, although it's a little modified for the screen (but the basic story is accurate). Seven Samurai is also loosely based on an actual event. Kurosawa found writings of something similar when researching for it, and went with what he found.