Director of the Month Project

→ in
Tools    

L'amore, Rome Open City, and Germany Year Zero are the 40's on Filmstruck. I would probably watch Paisan which is there as well.
Which Powell & Pressburger ones and we can put them up as well? It doesn't matter if we don't end up doing them all anyway as it's not supposed to be like a Hall of Fame.

Which Powell & Pressburger ones and we can put them up as well? It doesn't matter if we don't end up doing them all anyway as it's not supposed to be like a Hall of Fame.
Powell: 49th Parallel, Black Narcissus, The Spy In Black. No Pressburger

Cool. Editing a post i'll link it when i'm done, we'll put the six up and just see what we get to.
Awesome, gives me some direction. I wanted to spend August with the 40's.

The Spy In Black is from 1939 so we replace it with The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp.

Also Sean says he might watch Paisan so i added that too in case anyone else is interested in watching/discussing that. I won't be watching it again as i watched (and loved it) not long ago.

This was my review - https://www.movieforums.com/communit...29#post1665529

I just linked to it coz it's really long. I found it a difficult film to write about because it is six different (yet similar) episodes basically set in Italy during WWII, just ended up doing an opening, ending then individual comments on all six. It's structure makes it a bit uneven: i really don't like one of the episodes for example but overall i'd say it's a beautiful film with an interesting central theme. Also it's melodramatic Sean so i know you'll be on board haha.

Great film.

August is a crazy month for me. I might be able to participate but no guarantees.
Awesome mate. Was planning on sending you a message before it started if you didn't see the thread. As i said it's not like a Hall of Fame, if you get free time and think you'd like to see one of those films then join us, no pressure.

I've seen one film each so far, if I'm not mistaken (Journey to Italy and Peeping Tom respectively, although Pressburger wasn't involved with the latter).

I'll certainly try to watch a few more during the month of August (perhaps even the ones that are mentioned here) and discuss them in this thread. Great initiative!

I've seen one film each so far, if I'm not mistaken (Journey to Italy and Peeping Tom respectively, although Pressburger wasn't involved with the latter).

I'll certainly try to watch a few more during the month of August (perhaps even the ones that are mentioned here) and discuss them in this thread. Great initiative!
Pressburger isn't involved in any of those films i don't think. Well Sean said these are the Powell films (on Filmstruck) there's no ones with Pressburger, if any of them are then we can shame @seanc together haha.

Glad you checked in, hopefully you discuss a few of them with us.

Pressburger isn't involved in any of those films i don't think. Well Sean said these are the Powell films (on Filmstruck) there's no ones with Pressburger, if any of them are then we can shame @seanc together haha.

Glad you checked in, hopefully you discuss a few of them with us.
Just was looking on IMDB. Looks like Pressburger and Powell both wrote and directed Red Shoes, Canterbury Tale, and Black Narcissus. Filmstruck just had Powell listed when you do a director search.

I am shamed.

Just was looking on IMDB. Looks like Pressburger and Powell both wrote and directed Red Shoes, Canterbury Tale, and Black Narcissus. Filmstruck just had Powell listed when you do a director search.

I am shamed.
Black Narcissus is the only one we are doing so you were kinda.. no actually you were completely wrong and should continue being ashamed.

movies can be okay...
I have only seen Germany Year Zero which I was indifferent towards, it's great for its time but I don't think it holds up now at all, I'm interested in reading what you think of it once you watch it.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

I have only seen Germany Year Zero which I was indifferent towards, it's great for its time but I don't think it holds up now at all, I'm interested in reading what you think of it once you watch it.
Interesting. I've actually heard really good things about it, hopefully i like it more than you at least.

If you are planning on or interested in watching any of those films in August then join us here if you want.

Paisan

Wanted to get started early so I figured I would start with the one Camo has already seen. This is a pretty cool snapshot in time and has some good moments. Overall nothing special for me.

Paisan

Wanted to get started early so I figured I would start with the one Camo has already seen. This is a pretty cool snapshot in time and has some good moments. Overall nothing special for me.
Damn, i loved it.

movies can be okay...
Interesting. I've actually heard really good things about it, hopefully i like it more than you at least.

If you are planning on or interested in watching any of those films in August then join us here if you want.
I am planning on watching the rest of the war trilogy, maybe I'll revisit Germany Year Zero as well.

Rome Open City

I am between a 3.5 and 4 on this one but having just finished I am rounding up. The reason being the second half is perfection. I love the tension and how the story plays out. It is extremely sad but full of characters with heart and bravery. The first half sets everything up well, I don't dislike it by any means, but it doesn't hold a candle to an amazing second half. The dialogue is really good and I loved the beautiful B&W cinematography. Very glad Camo decided to create this thread as this film was not on my radar and now will almost certainly make my 40's list.

Rome Open City

I am between a 3.5 and 4 on this one but having just finished I am rounding up. The reason being the second half is perfection. I love the tension and how the story plays out. It is extremely sad but full of characters with heart and bravery. The first half sets everything up well, I don't dislike it by any means, but it doesn't hold a candle to an amazing second half. The dialogue is really good and I loved the beautiful B&W cinematography. Very glad Camo decided to create this thread as this film was not on my radar and now will almost certainly make my 40's list.
Im glad you liked it. Its one of my favorite Neo-realistic movies. The ending is absolute perfection. I can still feel the melodrama even though it has been 4.5 years since i saw it.

I rate it:

L'Amore

I liked this but didn't fall in love. This is two distinct stories and I liked the first part better than the second. The first is one person on a phone call and we only hear her side of the conversation. I really like these kind of conceits and the actress who plays the role is really good. Pretty sure she has been in the first three Rossellini films I have watched. As she talks the reason for the call and what is going on in her life slowly reveals itself. Maybe the biggest problem is that what is transpiring is exactly what you would have guessed. Overall I enjoyed this story.

The second story left a little more to be desired. It plays like a parable and isn't bad but overall it didn't really have a hook in for me. I have to admit I am not 100% sure what exactly the story is trying to convey thematically. It obviously is mirroring the journey of Mary a bit but what it is trying to say different than the actual virgin birth story is probably beyond me.

Interesting that these two stories were combined into one film. Kind of wonder if this was more a marriage of convenience rather than a thematic through line. Any help with putting this puzzle together is appreciated.