Day of the Dead

Tools    

Any fans of the series The Walking Dead on this site?

If you haven't seen Romero's Day of the Dead, please I beg you, go watch it. If you have seen the Day of the Dead, let's talk about how funking awesome it is.

One of the scariest men in movies^

I am curious to know how many Walking Dead fans have not seen Day of the Dead. The number better be small.

I'm so glad I didn't come into this topic and see that someone had made a topic about the remake of Day of the Dead. Yikes.

I've seen Day of the Dead, the original, but not in years. Think I was about 12 when I last saw it, must see it again!

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
The remake of Day of the Dead was so horrible, but out of the original Night, Dawn and Day I would put Day at the bottom of the list, Dawn of the Dead and Night of the Living Dead are much better in my opinion.

I did like Bub a lot though.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I was bored by Day of the Dead out of the original 3. My least favourite as well.

Suspect's Reviews

Interesting. I think Day of the Dead is the best Zombie movie ever made, and I know I am not the only one. I also realize that it is HUGE when it comes to person on person violence. "Fear the Living" happens to be the tag line to this seasons Walking Dead.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I prefer a slew of zombie movies over this one:

Shaun of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead (remake)
28 Days Later (if you count it)
Return of the Living Dead
etc

Welcome to the human race...
Interesting. I think Day of the Dead is the best Zombie movie ever made, and I know I am not the only one. I also realize that it is HUGE when it comes to person on person violence. "Fear the Living" happens to be the tag line to this seasons Walking Dead.
Why do you think it is the best one ever made, though? For comparison's sake, what do you think are the next best examples?

Out of the original trilogy, Dawn is my favourite and Day is more or less tied for second place with Night. I can't really decide for certain which one I prefer.

I'm with the others, out of the trilogy of Romero films it was the weakest one for me and not as enjoyable like the first two films. Like Usual Suspect pointed out, I prefer films like the Dawn of the Dead remake and others over it. I even prefered Land of the Dead to it.

From what I've heard, Land of the Dead was more or less the film Romero wanted to make with Day of the Dead but couldn't due to budget reasons, hence why most of the movie is set in an underground bunker.

"Night" was the scariest. "Dawn" was the funnest. "Day" was easily the weakest of the original three, but I enjoyed it and thought it was pretty intense and nicely acted. "Land" was a mixed bag for me... I liked some things a lot but I also felt it was stretching awfully thin by that point, and sure enough the following sequels all sucked pretty hard. I'd have to tie "Day" and "Land", I guess, but depending on my mood on any given day, I could go for "Land"'s more actioney style or "Day"'s claustrophobic psychodrama. Just like how depending on mood I might prefer either "Night"'s stark realism or "Dawn"'s warped adventurish kitchen-sink style.

I love all four, to be honest. They're all top-notch zombie movies in my book. I've seen a whole lot of zombie movies. Most suck. The original three are some of the very best out there, along with Dead Alive and The Evil Dead series (demons, I know. Blah blah blah). Shaun of the Dead and Dead Snow are good zombie fun, but they owe their existence to those films.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

"Night" was the scariest. "Dawn" was the funnest. "Day" was easily the weakest of the original three, but I enjoyed it and thought it was pretty intense and nicely acted. "Land" was a mixed bag for me... I liked some things a lot but I also felt it was stretching awfully thin by that point, and sure enough the following sequels all sucked pretty hard. I'd have to tie "Day" and "Land", I guess, but depending on my mood on any given day, I could go for "Land"'s more actioney style or "Day"'s claustrophobic psychodrama. Just like how depending on mood I might prefer either "Night"'s stark realism or "Dawn"'s warped adventurish kitchen-sink style.

I love all four, to be honest. They're all top-notch zombie movies in my book. I've seen a whole lot of zombie movies. Most suck. The original three are some of the very best out there, along with Dead Alive and The Evil Dead series (demons, I know. Blah blah blah). Shaun of the Dead and Dead Snow are good zombie fun, but they owe their existence to those films.
Do you have an opinion on Diary of the Dead or Survival of the Dead?

To elaborate a bit, I thought "Diary" was dreadfully boring and weirdly overwrought. "Survival" was marginally better than "Diary" but still tepid.

I prefer a slew of zombie movies over this one:

Shaun of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead (remake)
28 Days Later (if you count it)
Return of the Living Dead
etc
28 Days Later is not a zombie movie in any way. Return of the Living Dead is a freaking 80s spoof and isn't even on the same level of Day of the Dead. Dawn of the Dead remake also just clearly shows me that you are not a Romero fan.

Every single Zombie movie that you ever loved that isn't Romero, is COMPLETELY 100 PERCENT influenced by Romero. There are VERY FEW ideas in The Walking Dead or any other Zombie movie that Romero did not touch on in his original trilogy. When is the last time you watched Day of the Dead. The movie is shot brilliantly. The sound track. Everything about it is better than the movies you listed.

Someone asked me above what makes me think Day of the Dead is elite?

Well for one Captain Rhodes is EASILY the scariest antagonist in any Zombie film. This is not even arguable. The acting is spot on in every way and the Dialogue is so real.

There are so many reasons Day of the Dead is my favorite. For one, it focuses a ton of attention on trying to "tame" the zombies. If a Zombie Apocalypse really happened, and you didn't have enough ammunition to kill the zombies, you would have to consider finding a way to tame them. The movie is an unbelievably real demonstration person on person violence, when Zombies are supposed to be the dangerous ones. You have numerous characters who have figured out in the film that you must find ways to be happy, even though you are living in a freaking bunker. Day of the Dead goes FAR MORE in depth as far as how to live after the Zombie Apocalypse than any other Zombie movie, and also has plenty of scary Zombie moments that are in every other Zombie film. You thought the infected people on chains were unique in 28 days later(though of course not even a zombie movie). Well Day of the Dead had Zombie on chains first. The plot in 28 days later once they get to the part with the Soldiers is almost 100 percent derived from Day of the Dead.

The Walking Dead, which is beloved by everyone, is also hugely derived from the Trilogy and basically doesn't have a single original idea.

OH.

And another great thing about Day of the Dead is it is hands down widely known for being the best of Savani's special effects. Please for me, just go back and watch a couple of these gruesome scenes. To this DAY, you will not see more realistic blood and guts.

The remake of Day of the Dead was so horrible, but out of the original Night, Dawn and Day I would put Day at the bottom of the list, Dawn of the Dead and Night of the Living Dead are much better in my opinion.

I did like Bub a lot though.
Yea I personally like Day the best. I mean I love Night as well I'm not trying to argue which is the best of the original three. I just know there are ton of fans of movies like Shuan of the Dead and Walking Dead on here that don't realize the greatness that movies like Day of the Dead were.

First, I am a Romero fan. I even like Monkey Shines. To say someone can't be a fan if they like the "Dawn" remake is elitist horseshite.

Second, Return of the Living Dead is an excellent variation on Romero's zombie/ghoul, and is a fine horror in its own right. It is also essentially a re-boot of the intellectual property established between Romero and original co-writer John Russo.

Third, 28 Days Later basically is a zombie movie in the same sense that Evil Dead movies are also basically zombie movies. To say 28 Days Later isn't a zombie movie "in any way" is absurd. You are coming across as a bit of an obnoxious geek in your last few posts but hey cool, you're passionate. "Day" is not the best zombie movie ever but it's up there. I would sooner put Dead Alive, "Dawn", or even Evil Dead 2 in the top spot any day, and while I think Savini's "Day" FX are great, no zombie movie touches Dead Alive in terms of being a sheer imaginative gorefest.