Shazam: Fury of the gods

Tools    

Boldly going.
I enjoyed the first one - it was unexpectedly good, in the same way that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1 was.

I had a peak at the cast for Fury of the Gods and it looks like Grace Caroline Currey is playing both Mary Bromfield and Superhero Mary, which is interesting because I had wondered in the last one why they needed an adult version of Mary when I thought Mary looked old enough. I also wondered what they'll do if they do a string of these movies and Asher Angel (21) catches up to the age that Zachary Levi was when he played Shazam in the first movie (29)... It looks like they might keep the younger Asher (though he's not as funny as Zachary, in my opinion).

Welcome to the human race...
I was pretty eh on the first one and seeing Zachary Levi run his mouth on Twitter about anti-vax stuff recently doesn't make the prospect of seeing his newest movie too enticing (to say nothing of the shambles that DC movies seem to be in at the moment).

Boldly going.
I've watched some bad reviews and some good reviews of this movie. Well, I just saw it and I thought it was very good - on par with the first Shazam. This is a worthy sequel, and I hope they make more... Shazam vs. Black Adam would be cool.
WARNING: "spoilers" spoilers below
The only thing I don't understand is how nobody recognizes Mary as superhero Mary (especially her foster parents).

I was pretty eh on the first one and seeing Zachary Levi run his mouth on Twitter about anti-vax stuff recently doesn't make the prospect of seeing his newest movie too enticing (to say nothing of the shambles that DC movies seem to be in at the moment).
In that case I'm in. Take my money, Zach!

Boldly going.
I do wonder if the whole notion of "gods" offends or upsets some...

I mean, the first movie made $366 M U.S. at the box office, and I thought it was generally well-received by audiences.

The characters were still struggling with a superhero name for Shazam, as they were in the first movie, which I find still a bit amusing, but it was getting a bit old... couldn't they just settle on something? Are they that unimaginative? I noticed one person on the street called him "Captain Marvel", which is actually the comic book character's original name (they had to drop the name due to copyright). I think Dr. Sivana's name for him was pretty good "The Champion" - or some version of this Thunder Champion, Marvelous Champion, Godly Champion, etc. Batson does however learn at the end of this movie from
WARNING: "guess who" spoilers below
the Wizard
that his real name is Shazam. Apparently he has to yell "Shazam" to do so: he has introduced himself as "Shazam" with just a speaking voice in the comic book without transforming (I guess he should avoid going into loud clubs as the superhero where he might have to introduce himself).