Movies w/ Abortion Around The 70s?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
For obvious reasons. "The Godfather: Part 2" to me wouldn't be one I'd list, since it only takes up about 60 seconds of a 3.5 hour movie. It would be nice to see some movies take on this issue in an artistic way, before and after 1972 to get a gist, especially a movie like this that was released four years after, which might be why it's still a comedy-drama.

"This film is also notable for being Bill Murray's first film, with Murray having a few minutes of screen time. Jeff Goldblum and Christopher Walken (credited as Chris Walken) are relatively early in their respective careers." with an excellent performance by Shelley Winters, and more cameos by Joe Spinell and Vincent Shiavelli, starring Lenny Baker..

This was just uploaded a month ago. There's another version, but it's only 90 minutes long, so I didn't bother looking at it.

NEXT STOP, GREENWICH VILLAGE

Claudia Weill's Girlfriends (1978) has one.
I wouldn't say it's necessarily built around it, but it is a plot point in a way that I couldn't help but notice has been scrubbed from movies in the past decade or so (Frances, Ha has a very simar set of subplots, and in there it's a plot-convenient miscarriage.)

Claudia Weill's Girlfriends (1978) has one.
I wouldn't say it's necessarily built around it, but it is a plot point in a way that I couldn't help but notice has been scrubbed from movies in the past decade or so (Frances, Ha has a very simar set of subplots, and in there it's a plot-convenient miscarriage.)

I actually saw "Girlfriends" and liked it (after hearing Kubrick liked it), but I don't even remember that! I also saw "Frances, Ha" and the thing I remember most is that it's in b&w

I actually saw "Girlfriends" and liked it (after hearing Kubrick liked it), but I don't even remember that! I also saw "Frances, Ha" and the thing I remember most is that it's in b&w

WARNING: spoilers below

I remember the friend's second pregnancy was implied to have been aborted. It's due for a rewatch, so I can't remember just how explicit they said it.

In Frances, Ha, the dissatisfied friend who was traveling the world said she was pregnant and had a miscarriage (and that she ultimately hadn't wanted the child). Statistically, not that uncommon of a thing, but comparing it to Girlfriends which Frances, Ha seemed to be drawing a lot from, it did feel... convenient for the era it was made in.

Are you looking for films specifically from the 70s or about abortion being done in an illegal done around the 1970s?

Play It As It Lays
1972, Frank Perry

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Panic in Needle Park

Are you looking for films specifically from the 70s or about abortion being done in an illegal done around the 1970s?

Movies made in the 70s, but I'd also love to see movies released in the 60s, too, since it was illegal, and maybe to compare the tone after 72.... Sometimes, movements think it's wise to "take the win and stay quiet", while sometimes they might show twice as more movies related to abortion after 1972. Maybe it shows how movies that take place in 50s as a warning, not to remove the foot off the gas, so to speak.

This was made in 2007 and takes place in 1987 when abortion was illegal in Romania.

Not sure if you are interested but it was a very good film.

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days is the title of the film.

It's from the 60s, but Alfie features an abortion as a plot point.

And if I recall correctly, one of the characters in the Australian horror movie Long Weekend is supposed to have had an abortion, although it doesn't happen during the movie.

Movies made in the 70s, but I'd also love to see movies released in the 60s, too, since it was illegal, and maybe to compare the tone after 72.... Sometimes, movements think it's wise to "take the win and stay quiet", while sometimes they might show twice as more movies related to abortion after 1972. Maybe it shows how movies that take place in 50s as a warning, not to remove the foot off the gas, so to speak.
Matt, the one I mentioned after Holden was the one I had in mind. To me, it had an older feel to it. Maybe that's why it came to mind.

Can't believe no one mentioned this...Liza Minnelli's character in 1972's Cabaret has an abortion, though the word "abortion" is never used in the screenplay.

This was made in 2007 and takes place in 1987 when abortion was illegal in Romania.

Not sure if you are interested but it was a very good film.

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days is the title of the film.
One of my favorite movies.

Can't believe no one mentioned this...Liza Minnelli's character in 1972's Cabaret has an abortion, though the word "abortion" is never used in the screenplay.
Forgot all about Cabaret.