Recordable DVD players are here

Tools    

As all of you know, I work for Sony who have been working non-stop to get recordable DVD players on the market. Well, Panasonic announced on Monday that they have a player that will be in stores in 2 months or less. I've spent the last 3 days testing the player, so here we go.

Panasonic DMR-E10: The First Recordable DVD Player

Cost: The player will retail at $3,999 while recordable discs will retail at $34.95. Stores may offer player discounts of up to 25% off to get the consumer-ball-rolling, so to speak.

Disc Info: Each disc can hold 1 - 4 hours. The shorter the recording time, the better the quality. Each disc can be reused over 1000 times, so you can re-record over and over again on the same disc. The disc can only record in Dolby Digital 2.0 (aka 2 speakers of sound). Therefore, no surround sound can be recorded. Chapter search is the only feature available.

Can I play...: The DMR-E10 can play DVDROM films, any DVD in Dolby Digital 5.1, 6.1, and DTS, VCDs, and Music CDs. The DMR-E10 is unable to play DVD Audio Discs.

Internet films: A film burned onto a DVD in a DVDROM will play on the DMR-E10 and vice versa.

VHS Tapes: The DMR-E10 can record a VHS tape onto a DVD. The player will automatically time-correct the film to fit the space on the DVD. Also, any picture distortion will be corrected with the digital transfer, in other words, the digital transfer will 'clean-up' the movie.

TV Shows: You can record anything off the TV onto the disc with the picture turning out better after the recording. The DMR-E10 cannot record off of satelite dishes of any kind.

Protection: The DMR-E10 recognizes Macrovision copy protection. Therefore, once a movie is recorded onto a disc, it can not be copied onto other multiple discs.

Only foreseeable drawback currently: The discs are not record-proof...meaning that anything on the disc can be recorded over by something else.

Overall the player looked pretty sweet. It'll be interesting to see how stores and consumers react to the new technology.

Movie-Fever.com | New! Movie Fever Forums

Considering the proliferation of dishes in recent years (including from Sony), I'm surprised they would build a machine that wouldn't allow people to record off the satellite.

Of course, maybe by the time I could afford one, things like re-record proofing and record off satellite, etc. will be different. I expect it will take at least a couple of years before said product is in my price range.

Yeah, those DVD-WRITERS look pretty cool, i wish i could use them! in a sense it's like a RePlay tv, somewhat in the fact that you can record tv shows. Hmm, why am i comparing to replay tv, why don't i just compare to a vcr? Doh! another one of my stupid ramblings ons of points, that aren't a point.

anyways.... yeah, i know for movies d/l off the internet you can burn onto cd-rs and watch on certain dvd players, but usually the quality sucks. (oh yeah, you can download movies online and play them on your tv via your sega dreamcast! Never done it before, but again, the quality isn't very good since the movie is so condensed to fit onto a 800mb cdr)

So what is the point of a dvd-writer? just the fact that it's compact and better quality then a VCR? i personally don't think thats worth 2-4 G's.... Maybe there will be more new reasons to get one in the near feature.

Well enough with my stupid facts, questions, ramblings on, i'm going to bed.........again

-Brian

(oh hey, since u work for Sony n' all, u think u could hook me up wit one of dem spiffy VVEGA tv's? dey look coooooool, but they don't exactly fit into my "allowance" fund of $5 a month, hmmmmm)

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
The place I work at is getting one of these. Could be fun.

I had no idea you worked for Sony - I thought you couldn't mention the employer since you like to mention new releases and strategies and your rivals could see that here (unlikely, but possible)?

Anyway, great post: sounds very cool!

Chris - I mentioned a whole thread on my job a few weeks back because people had been emailing me for specific info. Here it is...

http://www.movieforums.com/forums/sh...p?threadid=364

My apologies for missing that - I ought to spend more time in the DVD forum - perhaps when I buy a DVD player I'll find it even more interesting.

One question, though: you said you could not mention your employer, but then mentioned two companies who seem to be your employers - is there a distinction I'm missing?

Female assassin extraordinaire.
xbox - it's not just a writer, it's a player too, which makes it worth it.

but uh, until that price tag goes down several zeroes i won't be getting one anytime soon ...

Laurie, you're with Sony? And our DVD guru? YOU kick @ss!

____

junglebunnies are what make life beautiful.

Originally posted by TWTCommish
One question, though: you said you could not mention your employer, but then mentioned two companies who seem to be your employers - is there a distinction I'm missing?
I realized that the between the two 'Mother Ships' they own about 35% of the entertainment companies out there, so I figure I'm safe...lol. See...I work for a company that is co-owned by Sony and AOL Time Warner, therefore I'm one employee out of hundreds of thousands. So, good luck trying to figure out who I am...lol.

And thanks TH. LOL.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
my pleasure. just reasserting the wonderfulness of the womens here. Chris' mom ... you ... me ... there aren't many of us gals and you know, sometimes we need appreciation too!
____

yes, that's exactly what I said. but no, I can't remember what that was.