Captain America: New World Order

Tools    

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Anthony Mackie will get his first solo movie as the new Captain America, Sam Wilson, in Captain America: New World Order with Julius Onah set to direct. Danny Ramirez and Carl Lumbly will return from The Falcon and Winter Soldier as both Joaquin Torres and Isaiah Bradley respectively.

Israeli actress Shira Haas will make her MCU debut as the superhero Sabra, a mutant who works close with the Israeli government becoming Cap's latest ally and after 14 years, we will finally see Tim Blake Nelson return as Samuel Stearns, who will become The Leader. Nelson played the role in 2008's The Incredible Hulk, the second MCU film.

The doors of wisdom are never shut. - 'Socrates'
For me a Captain America movie without Steve Rogers isn't a Captain America movie. Thats like Tony Stark not being in an Iron Man movie.
Did you know that in the 1980s movie PREDATOR the titular character was not originally portrayed by Kevin Peter Hall. It was in fact Jean-Claude Van Damme donning a much more insect inspired full body suit before he left the production which then led to the recasting and redesigning of the famous hunter.

For me a Captain America movie without Steve Rogers isn't a Captain America movie. Thats like Tony Stark not being in an Iron Man movie.
i agree wouldnt be the same but i will still watch it to follow the storyline. *

Another cast member from 2008's "The Incredible Hulk" is returning! Liv Tyler is returning as Betty Ross and Harrison Ford will make his official MCU debut as the now President "Thunderbolt" Ross, replacing the late William Hurt.

Shooting is going on as we speak.

Honest question since I'm not a comic book guy: have there been instances or incarnations of Captain America where he's not Steve Rogers?

Honest question since I'm not a comic book guy: have there been instances or incarnations of Captain America where he's not Steve Rogers?
Bucky Barnes and Sam Wilson have taken the moniker of Captain America...as did John Walker, who would later be known as USAgent, which Wyatt Russell played in Falcon and the Winter Soldier and the upcoming Thunderbolts movie.

John Walker's debut as Captain America in 1987...I actually own this issue

Bucky Barnes as Captain America

Sam Wilson as Captain America

Bucky Barnes and Sam Wilson have taken the moniker of Captain America...as did John Walker, who would later be known as USAgent, which Wyatt Russell played in Falcon and the Winter Soldier and the upcoming Thunderbolts movie.

John Walker's debut as Captain America in 1987...I actually own this issue

Bucky Barnes as Captain America

Sam Wilson as Captain America
So this is not something out-of-the-blue from Marvel Studios. This is actually a thing within the comics. Thanks for the thorough response.

That last image looks modern. Is the Wilson switch in the comics recent?
2015 was when Wilson made his debut as Cap.

Just an addendum to what's already been posted: there have been many Cap substitutes over the years.

When Steve Rogers fell into suspended animation at the end of WWII, his suit was filled by Jeff Mace (a Golden Age superhero formerly known as the Patriot) and then, when Mace was killed, the role was taken by William Naslund (a hero formerly known as The Spirit of 76).

A retcon was made to explain why, in real life, Captain America comics had the subtitle "Commie Smasher!" during the 1950's. Steve Rogers was still in suspended animation, but a man who hero-worshipped Cap created a version of the super-soldier serum & injected himself (and a youthful partner) to become the Cap & Bucky of the 1950's. (So, while in real life, Cap & Bucky were still appearing, decades later it was revealed readers of that era had been following characters who'd taken the heroes' places.)

But the serum drove the fake Cap & Bucky mad with anti-Communist sentiment - they'd ultimately be put in suspended animation themselves only to decades-later return to menace the real Captain America who was found floating in ice and revived by the Avengers in the 1960's.

This hardly includes all those who've either stolen Cap's name & costume and were imposters for a single story or who have substituted for him due to his apparent retirement, death, or with his blessings.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I'll be honest, the Falcon character has never particularly interested me. That in mind, I wouldn't say I was particularly interested in the Captain America character in-general until Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Before that, I always thought of him as a generic action character and never paid him much thought other than that. Chris Evans was fine in Avengers and The First Avenger, but I didn't honestly care. By being an exceptionally good Marvel movie, I was made to care about it. If they can create a strong movie with Anthony Mackie at the helm, I could care again.

The film has a new title: Captain America: Brave New World. Filming was completed before the strikes. Also, WWE superstar Seth Rollins will be in the film as a villain named Kobra, based on the character King Kobra.