Bluedeed's Photosets

→ in
Tools    

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I mentioned in Minio's Movie Stills thread that I might do photosets with brief bits of criticism along with them, similar to a young critic whom I admire. So I made a quick one to test my hand at it and will keep going with it as long as I enjoy it. The link to it is at the bottom of this post and it's from Ernst Lubitsch's 1933 sex comedy Design for Living.

The photoset is on a wordpress blog that I just started tonight and want to add whatever I manage to write about movies as well as these photosets on there. Feel free to leave comments there or here in this thread. Thanks!

Design for Living

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Pretty cool. Made me want to watch this film, but I haven't seen anything from Lubitsch, so I'l probably start from To Be or Not to Be.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Pretty cool. Made me want to watch this film, but I haven't seen anything from Lubitsch, so I'l probably start from To Be or Not to Be.
Lubitsch is great! I know you're not a big fan of comedies, but Lubitsch is very sneaky and dirty in his humor, so you might appreciate it. I ranked my 10 favorite of those I've seen here.

Haven't outgrown Godard (as if that's possible). I still love Godard very much, and consider him one of my favorites. At the moment, however, I prefer Eric Rohmer for his human focused intellectualism and Jacques Rivette for his mind-numbing (in the best possible way) meditations on the modern world that illuminate and complete thoughts I've had since I was very young. So I decided to only put one of the three French New Wavers that I love and picked Rohmer based on a coin toss. I think I'll always be a Godard fan and his films are sure to appear at some point on the site as well.

How long do you consider yourself to be a cinephile (i.e. someone who takes his personal exploration of cinema kind of serious) already, bluedeed?

I believe I've only seen 2 Lubitsch. Look forward to more!
You should be, considering your love for Wilder!

There's a famous quote from William Wyler and Billy Wilder about the death of Ernst Lubitsch. As they were leaving Lubitsch's funeral, Wilder sighed, "No More Lubitsch" To which Wyler responded, "Worse than that, no more Lubitsch pictures!"

How long do you consider yourself to be a cinephile (i.e. someone who takes his personal exploration of cinema kind of serious) already, bluedeed?
Between 4 and 5 years I think. So relatively short compared with how long I plan to be one!

I mentioned in Minio's Movie Stills thread that I might do photosets with brief bits of criticism along with them, similar to a young critic whom I admire. So I made a quick one to test my hand at it and will keep going with it as long as I enjoy it. The link to it is at the bottom of this post and it's from Ernst Lubitsch's 1933 sex comedy Design for Living.

The photoset is on a wordpress blog that I just started tonight and want to add whatever I manage to write about movies as well as these photosets on there. Feel free to leave comments there or here in this thread. Thanks!

Design for Living
I took a peak at your blog, very nicely done! Ernest Lubitsch is one of my top 5 favorite directors. I've seen 10 of his films and enjoyed how he shows humanism even in his comedies.

Today's set is from Jafar Panahi's Closed Curtain, which I've been openly praising here. The moment captured is pivotal in shifting the film from somewhat of a Hitchcockian thriller, into an outwardly spinning, politically entropic art film.

Here it is

Today is Howard Hawks' supreme adventure film, Only Angels Have Wings. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get one off tomorrow because I'm traveling but either tomorrow or the next day I'll probably put up one on Paris Belongs to Us by Jacques Rivette

I just saw Paris Belongs to Us by Jacques Rivette and I think I'm inspired to make a video essay about it, or a joint one with that and Out 1. Should take a while to complete but I'm excited to do it and I'll probably post photo sets from it to preparer eat out ideas for it. I've a good idea for what I want, something like Tag Gallagher's essays. His video essays on Stagecoach and Flowers of St Francis (two great films) are available for free online, I highly recommend checking them out.

I'm back from traveling for a bit so I'll be doing one set every day for at least this week and hopefully more frequently later too (though I will be away again for several days so we'll see). Today's set is of John Ford's subtle, unimposing, and great western Wagon Master:
https://morethancinema.wordpress.com/2015/03/01/68/

Which are your favorite Ford films, Bluedeed?
My three favorites are:
The Sun Shines Bright
Steamboat Round the Bend
My Darling Clementine

but I've a lot more Ford to see

As I just mentioned in the 60s Countdown Thread, I just posted a photoset of John Ford's Sergeant Rutledge, a great 60s film that shouldn't be forgotten come countdown. It's Here