Bluedeed's Great and Terrible Films

→ in
Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
He should see Satantango too
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Posting something I put in the Rate the Last Movie You Saw thread because I want it here. I think this is probably Panahi's greatest film, one of the greatest Iranian films, and one of the greatest films of the 21st century.

Closed Curtain (2013) by Jafar Panahi

This film has thus far been neglected by the critical population at large. It's as though people have assumed that his 2011 masterpiece, This Is Not a Film, was his final, all encompassing statement. In fact, Panahi has only widened his gaze, and increased the complexity of his already formidable cinema. This Is Not a Film is reaction, outcry from someone who has just lost something. Closed Curtain is the deep, slow longing, and yearning of someone who is attempting but failing to come to terms with what his life is now.

But, we must not forget, Panahi is making a film, his second since his ban from filmmaking. His third is currently premiering in festivals in Europe. This means he's living with paranoia, which is heavily and poignantly expressed in the film (the only film I can think of that expresses it better is Out 1). But the fact of Panahi's continued success is also a statement of privilege. Here, he seems to realize this, that his filmmaking is now a privilege and thus a responsibility. And he struggles with this thought. His cinema is now the voice of many people, of those who cannot express like he who has been given the fragile privilege to express. His cinema is now the cinema of the oppressed. But what can his cinema do, confined to the space of a single (and notably large) home, a singular canvas?

Like his mentor, Abbas Kiarostami, Panahi attempts to express the realities of his world, of the Iranian world, of our world, via the off-screen space in the frame. The power (or a power) of cinema is not in its ability to express, but in its ability to withhold expression. If This Is Not a Film was depressing in its expression of personal anguish, Closed Curtain is depressing in its stark and emotional (but logical) conclusions. The final statement of the film is simply that film is not enough.

My initial thoughts on Horse Money, which I saw Friday at Film Society at Lincoln Center

Horse Money 2014 by Pedro Costa

The newest film from Ventura and Pedro Costa (whose name appears after the central cast in the credits) reminds me of two comments made by Costa in interviews. The first is a comment about the way Costa and his actors make their films. Costa said that he wants to be like Val Lewton, the famous producer of "horror" films in the 1940s at RKO whose films, especially the Jacques Toureur directed I Walked with a Zombie, are a major influence on Costa. Though Lewton was a producer, who normally have cursory influence on the films they produce, always chose the lighting for the films he produced. One gets this feeling from Horse Money all throughout, as though Costa is setting the lighting and camera while his actors act out their past. Much of what occurs is so personal, Vitalina reading of all of the Notary information available of her and her recently deceased husband's lives, Ventura and his cousin singing a folk song and arguing about the lyrics, that it's impossible to know or experience anything but the depth of expression present on screen. If Colossal Youth inverted the Brechtian nothingness of In Vanda's Room, Horse Money represents a frightening middle ground, where we, the film watchers and the characters in the film, experience the tragedy of a Fordian hero but find ourselves unable to understand it.

The second comment I am reminded of is one of the most perceptive points on the great Japanese filmmaker, Yasujiro Ozu, that I've ever heard. Costa says that the images in Ozu appear to shake, ever so slightly, in their stillness. There is no better way to describe the images, presented more as a series of images than as scenes in a film, than Costa's own comment. There is physical shaking as well. Ventura is suffering from a nerve disease, which causes him to constantly shake. The few camera movements that do exist in the film, of which there are only two that I remember, hit like a brick in their unusual speed and both times threaten to tear the film apart at the seams. In a talk given in Tokyo, Costa brings up an comment that Kenji Mizoguchi made of Yasujiro Ozu, who said, "What that gentleman does with these doors is more difficult than what I'm doing." Mizoguchi was also a master of doors, as Costa recognized when he duplicated the ending of Street of Shame in Ossos. In Street of Shame, and in Ossos, the closing of the door represents an emotional blackout, the characters are telling us to stay away and we're cut off from them emotionally. In Horse Money, the doors are open, but we can't see through to the other side, just an abyss or, like Ozu, another door.

Beyond these cursory connections, it's hard to say something specific about Horse Money given that it is, in itself, about a specificity of experience. Mark Peranson has written of Horse Money, “the most true-to-form analysis of Horse Money should proceed in this painstaking way, shot after shot, because to examine the film as a whole, or as a connection of scenes that flow one into the other, is an impossibility.” This is because the scenes, or shots, more correctly, in Horse Money’s case, are often more like photographs collaged together, like the photographs from Jacob Riis that open the film. The idea of the still moving image is something almost entirely unique to Costa’s cinema. Even other practitioners of Costa’s framing and staging styles like to cram mise en scene and movement into a scene. The strands of photographs in Costa’s films cause for a confused weightlessness of experience. Some shots have no indication whatsoever of when they will end. Like the dancing scene in Bela Tarr’s Satantango we sometimes wonder if a shot will go on forever. When Costa does cut from these kinds of shots, the compositions are thrown completely off center, such as a cut from Vitalina in three-quarter profile to a plain shot behind a man that seemingly ironically follows the rule of thirds to a T.

Horse Money is in fact so specific and personal, and of many persons, Ventura, Vitalina, Costa, Joaquim, Cape Verdeans, that the only appropriate response seems to be one’s own personal experience with it rather than any sort of evaluation. Describing the film in terms of plot is about as silly as trying to capture the essence of a moving image in static text. To describe the hospitals, alleys, blood filled woods and the ghosts that walk through them is only to limit one’s experience with them. To describe a bloody fight between Ventura and Joaquim would not only be unimportant, but potentially wrong given the elusive and obscure nature of every shot in the film. I can only deal with Horse Money as an experience, and not an object, hardly a film, at this point and potentially at any point in my journey with it.

In that sense, I found myself experiencing colors that feel new even though they plausibly cannot be. I felt the physical presence and absence of light more than in any other film that I can recall. I felt a tactility in the images that strikes counter to the film’s ghost world, everything in the film pleads to be felt, touched. Like Ozu, I look at doorways differently after having seen the film, yet in a completely different way than I would from an Ozu film. I have a feeling of history, but only a feeling, nothing concrete. What can be said about Horse Money, and the team, or more accurately the community of people that made it, is that they are creating a new art, and one that gets more complicated at every turn.

I'll add more images to this later, which are essential to the film. But most of the best images from the film are not yet available online. I'll use my own images when a copy of the film is available elsewhere