Uncensored video of Will Smith and Chris Rock at the Oscars

Tools    

"I'm trying to be remorseful without being ashamed of myself."

What???

Geez!

So many celebrities' attempts at making amends have to have some silly attempt at a caveat.

Remorse can most readily be felt by first feeling shame over what you've done, Will. So maybe feeling ashamed of yourself wouldn't be such a bad thing - maybe it's a necessary feeling to truly view what you did as wrong.

Whenever someone who does something intentionally wrong calls it a "mistake" - it's a sure sign they are not taking full responsibility.

"Mistakes" are things that happen by accident, they are legitimate excuses to absolve someone of responsibility. Mistakes are unintended or unforeseen errors: they are turning down the wrong street because you misread the sign, or picking up the wrong item because it looks like many others, misjudging the distance of a throw or incorrectly summing up a mathematical equation. Mistakes are things you make that you never intended.

Attacking someone, hurting someone on purpose or doing anything you know in advance is wrong intentionally is never a "mistake".

Do we think Will Smith can get his career back on track after this? Or do we think directors will avoid casting him due to backlash?
According to the net, Will Smith's net worth is $375M. And his wife is worth $60M. I wouldn't worry about him too much.

I'll say it again: This was simple misdemeanor assault. He should have been arrested, made to pay his fine, maybe put on probation, and been on his way.

The sad part of this is that millions of people saw him do it. Many kids look up to him -- he let them down. Let me down too.

I feel this way about all violent criminals.
If there were more incidents of extreme self-defense, it would probably serve as a good deterrent.
I’ve just reread the whole thread; and even with the added context and all, I still stand by my original view that Rock got what he was asking for.

Now he’s at it again, insulting her Eminem-style. That’s his free speech right for sure, but just somebody please explain where’s the comedy in that? I think there’s an added layer of weirdness to saying ‘X is a bitch’ and suggesting the ‘bitch’ element is somehow adjacent to humour.

Rock clearly didn’t, for the notable moments in his rant included references to Jada Pinkett Smith as a “bitch” (“Nobody’s picking on this bitch!”), to her extramarital affairs (she was “f***ing her son’s friend!”).

I did not read through the entire thread again but I still don't think Rock deserved to be slapped for a joke and Will and Jada are getting exactly what they deserve. The Will Smith stuff was the only really funny moment of the special, imo. The rest of his set came off as preachy. If Will and Jada don't overreact to a joke, Rock isn't talking about her ****ing her son's friend in a comedy special and calling Will a BITCH! and Jada a BITCH! And if you're famous and don't want people talking about you ****ing your son's friend don't **** your son's friend and then interview your husband about it on the internet. It's very simple stuff.