Musical Artist Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

School of Rock

For me, the real star is Joan Cusack. I always enjoy her. There is always some kind crazy turbulance beneath the calm waters and she gets to let the storms let loose; no matter how badly her character wishes not to. Loved it when she got drunk and sang along to Stevie Nicks.
I agree that Joan Cusack is great in this movie and I always enjoy her as well, but this Jack Black's movie all the way.

I thought Jack Black was in a dramatic film, but I couldn't think of the name of it. I have never seen it, of course, but isn't Bernie based on a true story?
If you want to check out another unexpectedly restrained performance from Jack Black, you should see The Holiday.

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules
Glad you liked it I have a third movie that goes well with the other two. Well, I'll save it for the Musical Artist Movie Hall of Fame Part 2

What?! Have you found a Big Bopper movie that nobody else knows about?!
Immediately I start to think about what this third movie could be.....
I honestly am coming up with nothing! I suppose I will just have to wait and see like everyone else.
I wish! and I did look for a Big Bopper film too. All I found was that 10 years ago they were suppose to make a movie about The Big Bopper.
http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/...hy-2510929.php

But I doubt that will happen.

Pink Floyd - The Wall

This took me back...straight back to the early 1980s and the album release of Pink Floyd's opus, The Wall. It was odd how the movie immobilized me, I scarcely moved a muscle for the duration...But why? Was it the movie? Was it the images? No...it was the music. It was the songs that I've heard a hundred times before that made me remember what was...and what isn't, anymore.

The Wall, I know what this story is about, it's about all the hurt we feel from the day we first enter into this world, and it's about the injustices we suffer. Each one of those painful instances is a brick that we must carry. And when we have a cart load of bricks, we build a wall to layer ourselves away.

Most of us have our own personal walls, and I can see them too. I can see them in averted glances. I can see them in the defensiveness and deflections that people put up. I can even see walls through the blocks of text that appear on discussion boards where a pseudo world of connection without any real connection exist. We all have our walls.

Maybe that's why Pink Floyd's album The Wall has remained my favorite work of music. Hell it's not rock music, it's rock opera in the vein of Wanger the German composer...It's theatrical.

I remember the first time I heard the The Wall. I was in high school and I had a car, a cool one too, I had drove over to my friends house to pick him up for school. Just as we were about to leave, a neighborhood kid came over, who for all the world looked like a young Pete Townsend from The Who...He was like this rocker kid who was really into music. He pulls this cassette out of his pocket like it was a switch blade and says, 'man, you guys got to check this out.' ...We had like 20 minutes to get to school but the house was empty as the parents were gone. So we kicked back and said screw school and listened to The Wall twice through on the big stereo with the volume cranked on high. I don't know why but I can remember that morning like it was yesterday and yet it was decades ago.

So flash back to now, and I watched The Wall for the first time in like 35 years. I had went to the theater when the movie first came out and had seen it a couple more times in my youth during the 1980s. I always thought it was special.

So I watched it again after all these years. The music still resonated with me and I did enjoy watching it, but my youthful viewpoint had changed about the film. I set and watched all the credits role by on the screen at the end of the film, and I never usually do that...it was like years slipping through my hands.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I see that Citizen Rules has watched and reviewed all the films.

If we don't hear anything from Shopkeeper Triumph by the weekend (and I think we won't), then I think it will be safe to say that Get Him to the Greek and Once are no longer eligible, and they will then be disqualified. So, to anyone who has yet to watch those films, don't think you will have to anymore.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
that was a VERY poignant and personal review @Citizen Rules. And I must say, I am rather surprised. I truly did not think that The Wall was part of your youth. Very cool, my friend. VERY cool.

that was a VERY poignant and personal review @Citizen Rules. And I must say, I am rather surprised. I truly did not think that The Wall was part of your youth. Very cool, my friend. VERY cool.
Thanks Ed, that means a lot to me. One thing I wanted to say, but forgot...

I hadn't listened to my old cassette of The Wall in a couple of years. So when I seen you had nominated it, I put the old cassette into an old boom box, put on my old headphones and got on the treadmill. On the treadmill is about the only time I hear music any more. And I was really enjoying hearing that rush of old familiar songs too and was cranking it way too loud, but that's the fun...When the tape got to Comfortable Numb it started sounding garbled, then when I realized what was happening, it was too late. The old cassette tape had been sucked into the boom box. It was really quite ominous and I felt melancholy about the loss of the tape, more so than I should have.

I KNOW that experience ALL TOO WELL!!
the demise of a beloved cassette is a terrible, terrible thing!
Can't remember HOW MANY times I did that rewinding with a pen to get the tape back in or trying to unbend a chewed up section of tape.

Also, need a little assistance with links for:
La Bamba
Eddie and the Cruisers
Idolmaker

& The Jazz Singer
To finish up this HoF
So, please PM if anyone can help out and THANK YOU!!

Also, need a little assistance with links for:
La Bamba
Eddie and the Cruisers
Idolmaker

& The Jazz Singer
To finish up this HoF
So, please PM if anyone can help out and THANK YOU!!
I think I got you covered, check your PMs.

Originally Posted by SilentVamp
If we don't hear anything from Shopkeeper Triumph by the weekend (and I think we won't), then I think it will be safe to say that Get Him to the Greek and Once are no longer eligible, and they will then be disqualified. So, to anyone who has yet to watch those films, don't think you will have to anymore.
Well, bummers on getting Once, but it's no biggie. I'll watch it at some point in my life. Thank God I didn't do the same for Get Him to the Greek. I've had zero interest in that film. Now watch . . . he'll reply.

So anyways . . . for my first movie reply . . . .

It's about those who lip sync in the movies, in comparison to those who do their own singing. We all know that certain performances in these films were the actual actor singing on their own. Of course we all know that Neil Diamond is a singer first, and a wonderful singer at that. So, of course he did the singing in The Jazz Singer. However, I think certain actors and actresses like Sissy Spacek, Beverly D'Angelo, etc . . . have wonderful singing voices. I love Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, etc . . . but I get a kick out of it, when the actors and actresses do the actual singing. I'm not 100% sure if it's the right thing to do. I mean, a part of me thinks the actual singer should be respected, and their own music played. However, I also love when the movie stars can pull it off. With all this being said, I'm going to re-watch a certain group of these films, showing them to my family, to see what they think. I do know that they favor some of these actresses, as well as their singing voices. This should be very entertaining.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The Commitments:

I watched this movie about two weeks ago, and I liked it, but when I sat down a few days later to write about it, I found that I didn't remember much about it other than the music. So I watched it again, and I realized why I couldn't remember it.

The music is very good, but the story is just okay. I like the way Jimmy forms the band, by finding out each person's musical influences before even giving them an audition. I like that he knew what he wanted, and he didn't stray from it. But after the band is formed, they're just a bunch of musically talented people who don't get along. They all have tempers and egos, and they cause their own problems. Maybe if they were a little bit more mature they might have had a successful band someday.

While the music in this movie isn't my favorite type of music, I liked listening to it. I thought the band did a nice job, and the leader singer had a great voice for that type of music. However I didn't like the girls in the band. I think the band would have been better without them.

I also learned something watching this movie. I always thought that Wilson Pickett was a band. I didn't know until I watched the movie that he was a specific person.

Sweet Dreams:

Aside from a few minor facts that the movie got wrong, I liked this movie. Even though their relationship was turbulent, at times, you could still see how much Patsy Cline and Charlie Dick loved each other, even when Patsy tried to push ahead with her music career.

Having said that, I would have liked to see more about Patsy Cline and her music career, and less about her relationship with her husband. They seemed to focus a bit too much on Charlie at times, and not enough on Patsy herself.

I liked both Jessica Lange and Ed Harris in this movie, and I even liked Ann Wedgeworth, (who I hated on the TV show "Three's Company").

Obviously, I loved the music, especially because they used Patsy Cline's actual recordings, and Jessica Lange did a fantastic job of lip-synching to the songs.

Ray:

While I know some of Ray Charles' music, I've never been a big fan of his, and I didn't know much about his life story before watching this movie. For the most part, I liked this movie, but I didn't like the flashbacks he had about water. These flashbacks in the movie started before they told us about his brother, so I had no idea what was happening and why, until later in the movie when they finally explained it.

Sadly, I lost a little respect for Ray Charles while watching this movie because he didn't come off as a very likable person, and at times, he even came across as a self-centered person. In the little bit that I knew about him in real life, he seemed like a much better person than he came across as in the movie.

Having said that, I think Jamie Foxx did a fantastic job as Ray Charles. He made me feel like I was watching the real Ray Charles, and his singing was terrific.

If I counted correctly, I only have to do write-ups for 3 movies, (Eddie and the Cruisers, The Idolmaker, and The Jazz Singer), and two of them are my noms, and the third is a movie that I considered nominating, so I've already seen all three of these movies many times.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
If I counted correctly, I only have to do write-ups for 3 movies, (Eddie and the Cruisers, The Idolmaker, and The Jazz Singer), and two of them are my noms, and the third is a movie that I considered nominating, so I've already seen all three of these movies many times.
You still have time. It is still 5 weeks until the deadline. I need to get going with my Amadeus review. I don't know why it has taken me this long to write it, but it just has.

I want to go ahead and say that Get Him to the Greek and Once are definitely out. So, for anyone who hasn't watched it, I don't think it will be necessary for you to do so.

I should have checked in here because I just re-watched Get Him to the Greek and am a little relieved I don't have to post my thoughts. The only thing I have left to re-watch is La Bamba.