A Countess from Hong Kong

→ in
Tools    

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Hey guys,

I put together a rough draft of a video essay for Charlie Chaplin's last (and best feature). This is something of a test for me into making video essays, it's very rough around the edges in the editing and voice work (I jumble words all of the time and the recording quality is poor), but I kind of just wanted to make it and get it out there. I would appreciate any criticisms (I have many of my own) towards it that I could use to improve it (besides technical stuff, as this was just a rough attempt). It's about 14 minutes and available on DailyMotion (hopefully it stays up):
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x35xrez

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Upload it on Vimeo or Dailymotion. They seem not to care about copyrights.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
> I feel like there's too much footage without your commentary
> I could understand what actors were saying, but had a hard time understanding what you are saying (maybe my crappy English)
> Low quality mic, noise etc. (or this)
> All my movie friends rate this movie very low
> From what I've seen in the video of yours, I'm not really putting it on the top of my watchlist

> I feel like there's too much footage without your commentary
> I could understand what actors were saying, but had a hard time understanding what you are saying (maybe my crappy English)
> Low quality mic, noise etc. (or this)
I agree with these. I think it's important to keep your audience engaged in what you're saying, as it'll have more impact and they'll remember what your saying, so cutting down the moments without you speaking would probably do wonders.

My biggest issue was definitely the mic and speaking. My advice would be to speak a little more slowly, enthusiastically, and make it a bit louder (that might be the mic though). I think those will help a lot.

I'm not a really critical guy so instead I have to think about positives, what I would look for when watching a film essay. I'm not versed in them but I do like Every Frame a Painting, and the thing about it is I remember just about everything the guy has said after the video is over. I think what you're saying about the film is just as interesting as anything that guy has to say, but it's in the way you speak and the structure of the actual essay that I think contributes a lot to that. Part of it is having everything you say flow. I also notice he has an overall point with his videos, something specific he is talking about and something that comes across clear as day. What is the purpose of your essay? What are you trying to get across to the audience?

Anyway, that's the best I can do for a critique brother. I think you have tons of interesting things to say about film so that area of it is not a concern at all in my opinion. Overall good work my friend.