Why do we watch movies more than once?

Tools    

Because we like them, and they're worth watching again. (or sometimes , if someone hasn't seen the film, I watch the picture over again with the person)
true that...i watch movies with my friends who have not seen awesome, epic movies all the time.

also they get better and you notice more things, weather it be technical stuff or w/e.

reservoir dogs circa 1881
I once read somewhere that children like to watch the same program over and over because it comforts them to know whays gonna happen giving them a modicum of control,so maybe this applies subliminally to adults as an escape from the uncertainty of everyday life

Who watches the Watchbear?
I once read somewhere that children like to watch the same program over and over because it comforts them to know whays gonna happen giving them a modicum of control,so maybe this applies subliminally to adults as an escape from the uncertainty of everyday life
Very interesting point, hah!

I for one enjoy watching movies multiple times because... they're just that good. Granted, I know people who can't stand it, and I'm the type to read my favorite books over and over until they fall apart. *shrugs* Just nice to relive bits of escapism one enjoys, I guess!

Because even though we know how its going to end, we hope it doesnt. I know i watch 10 things i hate about you a lot, its a trademark for a friend and me. Just because the movie makes me feel good and happy. Maybe thats why?

And do check my "art": Deviant

Re: Why do we watch movies more than once?
For me, it helps with understanding.
After at least the 2nd time through on some movies, I can relax and enjoy it.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I watch movies more than once because the first time I watch it im more than likely to miss things and I do enjoy watching films again. If they are my fav films ill just watch it because its fantastic.

I think it probably depends on the film. When I watch The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, I'm watching it so I can relive my favorite parts, go along with my favorite dialogue in my head, and get a more complete picture of what's a very sprawling film.

If I were to see a film like The Dark Knight again (and I will, hopefully this weekend), it'd be to try to pick up on various themes and details that I missed the first time, when it was late at night and I was more concerned with the way the plot was unfolding.

I'd say it usually breaks down into just a few broad reasons: wanting to reexperience something comforting and familiar, wanting to relive the feeling it gave you the first time you saw it, or wanting to increase your understanding of the film by looking for new themes or details (or the plot itself, if it's particularly dense).

A system of cells interlinked
Although a film stays the same over the years, people don't, so our perceptions of the film change drastically as time wears on. We identify with different characters, notice different life situations, and think about the ideas differently depending on our mentality at the time. We learn different things about the world and, more importantly, ourselves.

reservoir dogs circa 1881
yoda and sedai have it spot on theres something comforting about watching a film when we already know how it ends,but also films can be viewed differently over the years.I cant recall how many times ive watched a film i havent seen in a long time and its meant something totally different to me than when i first saw it.

I have a real OCD thing about watching a film more than once, I just don't do it anymore... its like I have a burning madness which makes me want to watch every film in the Halliwell’s Film guide, and therefore id rather watch a bad film than a good film I’ve seen before. Maybe in time this insanity will slow down and ill be able to go back and rewatch some of my favourite movies and give them the devoted and loyal attention which they have more than indulged upon me.

Saying that; Betty Blue, Romeo & Juliet, The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Scream I’ve watched so many times as a teenager I know them back to front…

I usually find the movies with the most replay value, are the ones that transport me to a world I'd be happy living in. The characters become like old friends, you study the subtle nuances in their dialogue, the little ticks, the way they walk.

The 1980 Robert Zemeckis comedy Used Cars is a film I've seen more than any other. There's a particular scene in that film I could watch over and over, it's the bar scene at the end of Rudy (Kurt Russell) and Barbara's (Deborah Harmon) first date. She announces she's going to be leaving town, and Russell gives her a sob story saying it's 'the most fun I've had with a girl...ever' before looking down glumly at the bar. She of course falls for this and turns to head back to him. On seeing that she's taken the bait, Russell quickly licks his lips with a look of mischievous glee on his face. It's a tiny detail in the film that to alot of people would seem completely insignificant. But after repeated viewings it becomes your payoff, you anticipate it, you smile, it's your own personal special moment, then it's gone until the next time.

I also often find myself looking past the characters at the background detail. A picture on a calender, an extra walking by, a shop window advertisement etc etc. It serves to add depth to the fantasy, you're comfortable there, you want to know the place inside out like your own front room.

Some films I just really like certain parts of. And some films are confusing therefore it's necessary to re-watch them. I can recite along with some films.
And sometimes I put foreign subtitles on on my dvd so I can learn a bit of french or something

I am half agony, half hope.
You know how your best friend always knows the right thing to say to say or do? Movies are like that. I think most of us can name a few that we pull out when certain moods hit us. I think movies can alter or support our emotions, so we go to familiar films that can do those things.

Johann von Goethe

we watch movies over and over because for us watching again does not equal spoiled. to me it means i get to watch a great film again!!!

even though saying that there are some absolutely fantastic films out there that you will watch and you know that even though it is fantastic you won't watch it again.

I guess it boils down to what ya feel like and what ya want to do!

I know i watch 10 things i hate about you a lot, its a trademark for a friend and me. Just because the movie makes me feel good and happy.
I'm glad 10 Things please you and your friend so much. But I'm curious--have you ever seen any of the stage or film versions of Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew on which that film is (loosely) based? Any interest in seeing what the original story was like?

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
I find it's partly obsession personally. I go through a month or so where I'll watch a film over and over again and then for no reason i'll switch and be obsessed with something else.

Everyone has those little things that they adore about a scene in a movie, the way someone laughs or shuts a door - little things that you just love that no one else seems to get. A DVD allows us to indulge these obsession by giving us the power to watch the same thing over and over again quickly and easily. Buying the film means you have that ability forever. I think that's probably why I have so many films, I like to know that I can indulge my obsessions and watch my favourite moments anytime i want as many times as i want.

I like to the film once, quietly by myself, then later on watch that film with someone else and tell them what's just about to happen and explain little things in detail.

...uh the post is up there...