Lets Talk Football

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I stil think he's the best player who ever played for Sweden, and this championship doesn't change that view.
Really? Better than Larsson or Ljungberg in their prime? I'm not well versed in Swedish players from previous eras, I'm afraid.

To be honest, I don't even think he's the best player in the current squad. I'd give that honour to Mellberg - he's been a classy, top-flight, defender for years and, by all accounts, is a damned nice bloke too.

Great beard as well.

The Russians were awesome. Remeber, a lot of the players are playing for Zenit who won the UEFA cup and the rest are pretty successful pros in the German league and so on. But I don't agree, I think we didn't have any guts at all. Our players looked scared and as if they didn't want to play at all. That's why it was so painful to watch.
And don't forget they've got an amazing Dutch coach! Guus really did a good job with those players. If you watch carefully you can see that he has changed a lot, and isnt quite done with them yet. Russian strikers still need to learn more about finishing it off. They had so many chances wasted last time.

And I have to say that the criticism that Ibrahimovic is receiving is a bit unfair. We scored three goals in this tournament and Zlatan made two of them. The thing is that we have only one absolute top quality player and he's that one player. Our entire game is centered around him and all the other teams know this and immediately put two or three guys directly on him. Then since not much happens after he's passed the ball to someone else.... it's kind of hard to win. And most of our other players, Larsson included, don't seem to want the ball, they're counting on Ibrahimovic to get the job done.

I stil think he's the best player who ever played for Sweden, and this championship doesn't change that view.
Im not sure i agree on this. True, Zlatan is at this point probably the best Swedish player, but last match he was awfull. Ive seen a lot of him when he was with Ajax, so i think i know his full potiential, but last match, i am sorry, he sucked. Next to that Larsson is in his final years, but when he was at his best he was better than Zlatan at his best.

Anyway.. No Dutch fans here? My guess was the final would be between Holland and Portugal, but now... Holland - Germany.. And germany will win that

And do check my "art": Deviant

I am having a nervous breakdance
Really? Better than Larsson or Ljungberg in their prime? I'm not well versed in Swedish players from previous eras, I'm afraid.

To be honest, I don't even think he's the best player in the current squad. I'd give that honour to Mellberg - he's been a classy, top-flight, defender for years and, by all accounts, is a damned nice bloke too.

Great beard as well.
Mellberg was good this time around, that's for sure. I think he, Ljunberg and Ibrahimovic, possibly Isaksson as well, are the only ones who overall was ok. But it's kind of hard to compare players like Mellberg and Ibrahimovic to each other.

Overall, it's hard to compare Larsson, Ljungberg and Ibrahimovic to each other but still I would say that Ibrahimovic is the better player. Larsson was fantastic in Celtic but he played in a mediocre league with only two good teams and almost no stars. Ibrahimovic plays in probably the second or third best league in the world and is one of the most important players of the team that acctually won that league. And while Larsson was a great secret weapon as a substitute in Barcelona my guess is that Zlatan would have a better shot at the starting eleven (Barca wanted to buy him, it was rumoured recently, but Inter coughed up the dough). Ljungberg has got an enormous heart and no one falls more effectively than him, but his not a better football player than Ibrahimovic.

And again I have to point out that it isn't easy to be the star in a mediocre team. Look at Giggs or Shevchenko. I can't say that I follow the Welsh or Ukranian teams that closely but don't you think it's safe to say that they've done their best work in their club teams? I still defend Ibrahimovic... I argue that it's his team mates that makes him look average (not bad, because that's not true). On the other hand, he too can have a bad effect on his team mates since they count on him to be the creative one.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Anyway.. No Dutch fans here? My guess was the final would be between Holland and Portugal, but now... Holland - Germany.. And germany will win that

I love the way Holland has played this year. But as soon as dinosaurs like Italy and Germany make it to the quarter finals no one's safe. It would be great if Spain or Holland or Russia or Croatia or even Turkey would go all the way this year, but right now my bet is on ....hmmm.... Germany.

there's a frog in my snake oil
But as soon as dinosaurs like Italy and Germany make it to the quarter finals no one's safe.
Hmm, Dinosaur vs Turkey in the final then?

I really am hoping this is the year Holland or Spain don't actually eat themselves alive on national television. One of them in the final would be reet good

Germany's goals were quality (well - the first one especially), and Portugal just stuttered at the wrong time (Deco was immense tho - in his little-man way ). But please lord can Croatia win an exiting game tonight, then beat Germany again

Sir Sean Connery's love-child

Overall, it's hard to compare Larsson, Ljungberg and Ibrahimovic to each other but still I would say that Ibrahimovic is the better player. Larsson was fantastic in Celtic but he played in a mediocre league with only two good teams and almost no stars.

I'm sticking up for King Henrik, true, the Scottish league is a two horse race every year, but Henrik performed at a consistently high standard no matter who the opposition was, he was invaluable in the Champions League and was hugely influential in helping Celtic reach the UEFA cup final in 2003.
Watch Henry's interview after the CL final, he picks Larsson out as the man that won the final for Barca, not Ronaldinho, E'to or Messi.
His short time at Manchester United proved many an English pundit wrong, claiming Henrik would not be upto the standard in the EPL was quickly reversed by many.

Zlatan may have more natural skill than Henrik, but he is nowhere near as consistent in performance or scoring, or as unselfish.

Larsson is a team player, my personal feelings are that Zlatan is only out for himself, I've seen unbelieveable moments of skill from him, but he is anonymous when the chips are down and he is needed to roll up his sleeves and get stuck in.
Henrik didn't have a great tournament, but perhaps if Zlatan was more of a leader on the park they wouldn't have had to drag Henrik out of retirement once again.

What can I say Pidd, Henrik will always have a special place in my heart, at his peak I believe he could have played for any team in the world, his movement & reading of the game are second to none, his ariel pressence is immense and he's got the caps & goals to prove it.

I hope Zlatan realises his true potential, but unfortunately I feel he is one of the more modern footballers, ie, highly paid but not highly motivated.

Don't get me started on Ronaldo.........

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Shows you how much I know about football, both my picks for the tournament are now out!!!
Can't believe Croatia are out, would take any of their players for the mighty Hoops, would love to see Bilic as manager one day too.
He's a breath of fresh air in the hundrum world of international managers these days, I enjoy his interviews, seems really switched on and down to earth.
Golgot, you must be over the moon with Modric, looks a very good player.
Oh well now Portugal & Croatia are out, I wouldn't mind seeing Spain or Holland win it, although I've probably just cursed them both!!!

Larsson is a team player, my personal feelings are that Zlatan is only out for himself, I've seen unbelieveable moments of skill from him, but he is anonymous when the chips are down and he is needed to roll up his sleeves and get stuck in.
Henrik didn't have a great tournament, but perhaps if Zlatan was more of a leader on the park they wouldn't have had to drag Henrik out of retirement once again.
I don't mean to call your countrymen into question, Pete, but I agree with Stu here. Ibrahimovic reminds me of Anelka - undoubtedly talented but maddeningly anonymous all too frequently.

What a finale last night, eh? If nothing else, this proves that penalties are as much about mindset as they are technique - Turkey finished on a high and carried it through the shootout.

Much as I love Bilic (who's surname sounds like a suburb of Birmingham - say it in a Brummie accent, I dare you! ) I think Fatih Terim has been equally impressive here. He seems pretty cool as well, in a Tom Jones kinda way...

The Croatia manager. Yesterday.

Darth, I love Henrik Larsson, don't get me wrong. And I think the most things you say about Zlatan used to be true. He used to be much more selfish and not working hard enough all over the field. But I think he's become much more of a team player during recent years and he is also much more professional and focused on the team, whether it's Sweden or Inter, in interviews. I guess Larsson is more typically swedish (if I dare say so), down to earth, never bragging about himself and always working hard for the team. He's just very likeable and he's very popular in Sweden as well. My point is that we have too few players of the Zlatan kind in Sweden. People who want to be individualists and who loves when all attention is being centered around them.

But enough allready....

How about them turks??? The third unbelievable turnaround in a row! Last night was the big midsummer holiday in Sweden so I just watched the last few minutes so I'm watching the game again now. So far it looks like the croatians were better in the first half. But you have to admire the spirit and the heart of the turks. And that coach is just so damn funny to watch.... It's a pity about Croatia though. Both Turkey and Croatia seem to have such a great team spirit and fantastic relation between the coaches and the players. It's great fun to watch.

Do you think the russians can shake Holland tonight? It should be a great game in any case.

Golgot, you must be over the moon with Modric, looks a very good player.
Yep definitely If we make nothing but rubbish/over-priced signings for the rest of the silly-season (which is par for the course for us ) then at least it looks like we've snatched a star there

Was very impressed with his game again yesterday. Range of passing is great and he was involved in everything - got a vital tackle in right at the start at provided the two best chances going forward. Looks like a player who can change a game alright.

(I thought Tuncay had a similar-ish influence for the Turks incidentally - but perhaps i always spot him coz he reminds me of Spurs's own 'shouty pointy man' Robbie Keane . Reckon they're gonna miss him against The Germanic Haircut Machine anyway)

Pid - I get what you mean about Ibrahimovic. There needs to be someone standing out amongst the workmen of a side. Heck, we've got Sammy Clingan!

I thought Modric was great yesterday (I forgive the whole Croatian side for the pens, they were like a boxer clinging on at the end of the 12th, only to be told it's a 15 round fight), his attitude as much as his playing. He's definitely a wiry little bugger and mercifully unaffected by the inner-ear balance problem which blights most tricky midfielders these days.

I didn't see him once sitting on his arse, slapping the ground and shouting at the ref, for example...

If Holland bring their A game (whatever that means) they'll be too much for Russia, but it's been 20 years since the Dutch played well all through a tournament. They're due some infighting too - watch out for van Persie and Robben trying to poke each other in the eye at corners.

He's definitely a wiry little bugger and mercifully unaffected by the inner-ear balance problem which blights most tricky midfielders these days.

I didn't see him once sitting on his arse, slapping the ground and shouting at the ref, for example...
Yeah, it's good to see. (Altho he's not above standing still and letting taller players fall over him when 'going' for headers )

Originally Posted by Tac
They're due some infighting too - watch out for van Persie and Robben trying to poke each other in the eye at corners.
For some reason I'm expecting Davids to leap out of the crowd and apply a Cantona-Kick to one of 'em

Hmm, no 'ear biting' scenarios... and yet the script kicks in again...

Wonder what the odds are now on Spain imploding tomorrow?

(Interesting point made on the Beeb boards is that all the teams that rested players for the third round have been going out. And i believe Spain... well yes... there was never any hope for them anyway )

Christ... The russians are fantastic. Just brilliant. The most entertaining football so far in this tournament. And against Holland the way they've been playing... Amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if we'll see a number of these players in Champions League the upcoming season.

I really wish for Spain to beat Italy tomorrow.

Christ... The russians are fantastic. Just brilliant. The most entertaining football so far in this tournament. And against Holland the way they've been playing... Amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if we'll see a number of these players in Champions League the upcoming season.
There was talk of Spurs snaffling Arshavin to replace Berbs. Which would be great - only now even our secretive billionaires couldn't afford him i suspects. (I wouldn't know tho - as i din't get to see the game )

Once again Darth gives the kiss of death to another nation's hopes, sorry Holland, although I've got to admit, Russia were totally deserving of their victory.
I'll appologise in advance to Spain, sorry I tipped you, start packing your bags as the Curse of Darth is upon you!!!

Lets see how good this curse is, I now predict Germany to win it...... ( don't have much love for them pesky Germans, especially Ballack!!! )

Arshavin makes that team tick, he was fantastic last night and reminded me of Fabregas. In fact, the Russian team reminded me of L'Arse in their pomp and I suppose it's not surprising that they've been mentioned in the Sunday papers as being in pole position to sign him (£10m buy-out clause in his contract apparently, I bet Zenit are wishing they didn't make it 3 times the size, they'd get it now).

Arse-Haven's said in the press that he'd only ever play for Arsenal or Chelsea if he were to leave Zenit but I bet that was just because an English journalist was asking the question...

He told me personally last week that he'd only ever play for Chimney Corner or Donegal Celtic.

Anyone else (apart from me and Stu) think that the whole shebang is playing nicely into the hands of the Germans?

Anyone else (apart from me and Stu) think that the whole shebang is playing nicely into the hands of the Germans?
Italy-German final? *siiiiiigh*

Turkey will get plucked. The Spanish are Dutch. And Hiddink has never quite worked a last round miracle, as such. Heigh ho

This tournament's Holland are the Roy Batty of international football...

The light that burns twice as bright etc etc.

I've read a few places today that Spurs have agreed a £20m fee for Villa (David, not the Brummie outfit). Of course, that really says nothing because it doesn't mention how many other clubs have agreed a fee. If it's true, £20m seems rather small, especially when you consider that The Gooners are apparently ready to let half-season-wonder Adebayor go to Spain or Italy for £24m.

Wenger could buy Villa and 7 or 8 French/African teenagers for that sort of money. It's more likely that he'll buy a few dozen 17 year old Ivorians.