Same sex marriage & Polygamy

Tools    

What's with all this positivity? Where are all them nay-sayers? You're not just gonna let these hippies defile the sanctity of marriage without putting up a fight are you?

It should be allowed everywhere, and all benefits that straight couples enjoy should be granted to gay couples. It took sometime for interacial couples to be allowed to be married here in the U.S. It is taking time, but we are heading in the right direction. I do however think marrige should be resticted to "couples" though. Many have mentioned three-way marriges and other things and while that is their buisnessas as a lifestyle I do think marrige shold be monogamous. This sounds silly to some I think, but some religions say otherwise and I worry. Who has the right to say that someone who really thinks they should be able to have five wives or someone who is one of the five wives should not be able to do so? Different topic I know, but as I have stated, as long as marrige remains couples only then I am all for it.

Do you have any specific reason for restricting marriage only to couples?

Sure: I think that anyone should be able to practice whatever consenting lifestyle they so choose, but marrige should be couples only because I feel that in my heart. I find it hard to explain why. Maybe because I am old fashioned or maybe because I think when two people truly share that something it is a wonderful thing to look into each others eyes and just know. It is hard to look into two other pairs of eyes at the same time. Hey I may be wrong, but I am not going to lie about my feelings. Just me.

Do you have any specific reason for restricting marriage only to couples?
That's a pretty weird question to ask. Do you have any specific reason for wanting to alter the word's meaning? Have you pondered the blatantly obvious logistical problems at all, or do you just like questioning things for its own sake?

Do you have any for it?
Don't hold your breath.

What's with all this positivity? Where are all them nay-sayers? You're not just gonna let these hippies defile the sanctity of marriage without putting up a fight are you?
I'm not sure how you'd define a "nay-sayer," though in this context I would expect it's anyone who doesn't lend their full-throated support to same-sex marriage.

I've largely abstained from this discussion for several reasons. For one, I'm not entirely sure what I think about all of its aspects. For another, I know that anything short of total acceptance may irk some people, some of whom I care about a great deal. And others will, I expect, simply assume the worst about anyone who expresses any skepticism.

So, I can't speak for others, but those are the reasons I try not to delve into the issue much.

Yep what people feel in their heart should not matter at all right?
Not if we're having an intelligent discussion and I certainly hope the legislators will come up with some better arguments than "I don't feel it's right".

Do you have any for it?
That's a pretty weird question to ask. Do you have any specific reason for wanting to alter the word's meaning? Have you pondered the blatantly obvious logistical problems at all, or do you just like questioning things for its own sake?

Don't hold your breath.
It's 3am but I'll answer anyway because you're being a tad snide.
I don't see any real reason for restricting the word only to its western Christian meaning. There are plenty of societies that allow polygamy and aren't any worse for it, and seeing as how marriage is not only a religious but a legal institution I don't see a reason for denying people with a different lifestyle to your own the same rights.

I'm feeling a little stupid so you'll have to explain the blatantly obvious logistical problems...I'm guessing your arguments also apply to gay marriage...?

Not if we're having an intelligent discussion and I certainly hope the legislators will come up with some better arguments than "I don't feel it's right".

Yeah, but you asked me, I am neither an elected official nor am I intelligent. That is my stance, sorry if it is a bit weak.

There are plenty of societies that allow polygamy and aren't any worse for it

BTW, are there any societies that allow a woman to have many husbands? If there are then they are few. Why are men the only ones allowed multiple partners? The very idea of it is hypocrisy, because if a woman of these "societies" even attempted it she would be laughed at or even stoned. Name me these "plenty of" societies, and then name me one of these that allow women to have multiple husbands as a common rule?

Im from Holland, what else did you expect

And do check my "art": Deviant

I am Jack's sense of overused quote
I actually know of a gay man who recently got a domestic partnership license this past week and I'm rather confused and annoyed about it because, from what I understand, he's a gay polygamist. He enjoys being with several different men - forever, I think. He even threw a sex party for this gay couple that announced that they were getting hitched - men got together with the couple and had an orgy. I'm thinking, WTF?!?!
I don't necessarily have a problem with a commited couple partaking in an orgy as long as both members of the couple share the enthusiasm of it.

Adidass, I am for marriage being for purposes of ease in legality and benefit distribution. However, if you want to have a primary spouse who is legally listed as such and then lots of other who live with you and you consider a spouse as well--go nuts.

Yeah, but you asked me, I am neither an elected official nor am I intelligent. That is my stance, sorry if it is a bit weak.
Well, whatever you feel in your heart to be right or not right, I'm not sure why you feel the need to impose it on others. If gay is ok but not for you (as you keep saying), why can't you apply the same logic to polygamy?

BTW, are there any societies that allow a woman to have many husbands? If there are then they are few. Why are men the only ones allowed multiple partners? The very idea of it is hypocrisy, because if a woman of these "societies" even attempted it she would be laughed at or even stoned. Name me these "plenty of" societies, and then name me one of these that allow women to have multiple husbands as a common rule?
Not sure what you're trying to say here. There are actually societies that "allow" women to have multiple husbands, and it's usually by force so that isn't really favorable for them. On the other hand, certain cultures allow men to have multiple wives under the condition that they are all well cared for (which is why polygamy isn't that common even in societies that allow it).

Polygamy isn't a modern invention, it has existed at one point in almost every society. The Bible is full of polygamists (Abraham, Moses, King Solomon), Islam and Hinduism allow it etc.

But we're talking about modern western societies and about people who want to be with more than one person for the rest of their lives, of their free will and with the purpose of gaining certain legal rights that come with such a commitment (well for monogamous straight couples that is). Why deny them of it, what are the reasons?

I actually know of a gay man who recently got a domestic partnership license this past week and I'm rather confused and annoyed about it because, from what I understand, he's a gay polygamist. He enjoys being with several different men - forever, I think. He even threw a sex party for this gay couple that announced that they were getting hitched - men got together with the couple and had an orgy. I'm thinking, WTF?!?!

I'm annoyed because A.) Why did he get this domestic partnership license all of a sudden with one guy? I am willing to bet that it's because of all of the California/same sex marriage stuff that's been happening. B.) My partner and I have been together for almost 5 years and we had no idea you could even get a license around here, although technically this guy lives in D.C. and we're in Virginia, it might be different there.
Sounds like you're a little jelous...

Well, whatever you feel in your heart to be right or not right, I'm not sure why you feel the need to impose it on others. If gay is ok but not for you (as you keep saying), why can't you apply the same logic to polygamy?
I doubt that he is trying to impose his ideas on others, 7thboy was just giving his opinion whether you think it is right or wrong

The man states that marriage should be restricted to couples. That implies that his definition of marriage as a monogamous relationship should apply to everyone, as opposed to being just a personal preference or lifestyle choice.

The man states that marriage should be restricted to couples. That implies that his definition of marriage as a monogamous relationship should apply to everyone, as opposed to being just a personal preference or lifestyle choice.
So what If he thinks relationships should be monogamous I have no problem with that, it doesn't mean he hates people who like to marry many people. You know him well enough to know 7thboy is not the bigoted hating kind

Do same sex marriages eventually evolve into no-sex marriages like straight people do?