What was the last DVD you bought and why?

Tools    

Beware The Probe!

While I was out buying the Rise of the Surfer DVD I recorded tonight's Supergirl episode of Smallville so I figure I'll watch them both later tonight for a double-dose of super-heroics.

Vanishing Point (1971)

I bought this film in July because a friend recomended it to me, since then I've watched it a record 51 times, it's fantastic.

300 the movie. It is among the few movies I have actually bought the DVD of since I can't stop watching it. The scene were like poems in the form of images, not a moment was boring. Arguably the best action movie of all time.

From my work we got rid of alot of old dvds so I grabbed a bunch of really cheap ones

Dancer in the Dark $3.74
Dear Wendy $6.99

The People's Republic of Clogher
I finally got my hands on the R3 Ltd Edition DVD of Sonatine. Consequently the R2 Tokyo Bullet release is free to a good home.

And ordered the Jodorowksy box-set since it was was only a bit more than Holy Mountain which i nearly got.
What else is in there? Unfortunately Holy Mountain is the only Jodorowsky movie that I'd want to watch more than once (I've seen that, El Topo, The Rainbow Thief, Santa Sangre and an early one, I think called Fando and Liz). Hope you like the rest of those more than I did (El topo is decent, Holy Mountain was the only really awesome one though, and by far the most over the top).

I picked up the Branagh Hamlet a couple weeks ago. Haven't gotten to it yet though. I'm tempted to go get that Criterion disc of Naked, but I'm always torn between buying movies I already like (that) and ones that I can't rent and just want to see really badly (9 Songs is currently high on that list). Hamlet I could justify because I read a lot of Shakespeare these days and that's the fullest movie version as far as I know, so I'll probably be watching parts of it a good deal). In general it's harder for me to justify buying movies even if I like them though, I just don't rewatch movies enough to really make renting a less cost-efficient means, except for a few.

Tacitus why'd you get a Korean disc of Sonatine? What's so great about it (other than that awesome cover)? I picked up the US disc of Zatoichi which also came with a bonus dvd of Sonatine because it was cheaper than just buying Sonatine. Figure that out.

Tacitus why'd you get a Korean disc of Sonatine? What's so great about it (other than that awesome cover)? I picked up the US disc of Zatoichi which also came with a bonus dvd of Sonatine because it was cheaper than just buying Sonatine. Figure that out.
Apparently the quality of print is much better (like the ltd edition of Zatoichi, compared to the regular release) though it hasn't arrived yet so I can't confirm. It's also got a critic's commentary, dunno if it's subbed, some photos and a 'personal message from Kitano', whatever the heck that may be.

The cover is fantastic though, eh?

EDIT - I keep meaning to get the Criterion Ed of Naked myself, making do with the largely vanilla Aussie R4 release because stupidly the film isn't available in its homeland.

EDIT EDIT - I saw Ken's Hamlet on stage, years ago but only have the film on VHS.

Scream
Scream 2
Scr3am

I bought them because I don't own that many horror movies and I remember liking the first one a lot (I had never seen the other two).

I really enjoyed this trilogy.

EDIT - I keep meaning to get the Criterion Ed of Naked myself, making do with the largely vanilla Aussie R4 release because stupidly the film isn't available in its homeland.
Well, in spite of everything I said above I ended up buying it on my way home from work. Also, I'd been meaning to swing by your review thread and thank you for indirectly getting me to check that movie out, so cheers.

EDIT EDIT - I saw Ken's Hamlet on stage, years ago but only have the film on VHS.
Lucky!

Scream
Scream 2
Scr3am

I bought them because I don't own that many horror movies and I remember liking the first one a lot (I had never seen the other two).

I really enjoyed this trilogy.
Check this out...you MIGHT be interested.

Well, in spite of everything I said above I ended up buying it on my way home from work. Also, I'd been meaning to swing by your review thread and thank you for indirectly getting me to check that movie out, so cheers.
Before this turns into some sort of mutual appreciation backslappathon, your post about Hamlet reminded me that I'd not bought the DVD (and as I've been waiting for years for it, this seems remiss). That'll probably be sorted out later today.

Not only does MoFo see that I make good my threats but you can also gaze in wonder at my position as Probably the World's Worst Photographer...

What else is in there? Unfortunately Holy Mountain is the only Jodorowsky movie that I'd want to watch more than once (I've seen that, El Topo, The Rainbow Thief, Santa Sangre and an early one, I think called Fando and Liz). Hope you like the rest of those more than I did (El topo is decent, Holy Mountain was the only really awesome one though, and by far the most over the top).
Well, i didn't end up getting the box set (it's the same as R1 with El Topo, Holy Mountain, Fando and Lis and some soundtracks i believe) but just got Holy Mountain since found it somewhere half the price and already had El Topo. Definitely agree that it is his best work, i didn't get too much from El Topo, maybe i was underwhelmed having just scene Holy Mountain however i enjoyed Santa Sangre a heck of a lot, his second best. Alas, they are all i have seen, and all i probably will since can't find the others readily available.

You've seen all his films then?

I have quite a few others to view first, but I couldn't pass these up, because there was only one of each left, and they were only 9.99 each.

Classic Film Noir:

Too Late for Tears (1949)
The Man Who Cheated Himself (1950)
The Stranger (1946)
Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946)
The Hitchhiker (1953)
Quicksand (1950)
Detour (1946)
The Scar (1948)
D.O.A. (1949)

Classic Film Noir Volume 2:

Jigsaw (1949)
Whistle Stop (1946)
He Walked By Night (1948)
The Chase (1946)
The Big Bluff (1955)
Kansas City Confidential (1952)
Port of New York (1949)
Suddenly (1954)
Buried Alive (1939)

Beware The Probe!
The fact that I now own this entire series seems to disturb some of my friends greatly.
Dispite their teasing, I ask, how can a show with, not only hot witches, but hot demon babes as well, be a chick show?

Looking forward to finally seeing the conclusion to the story of the Halliwell sisters.