Superbad

→ in
Tools    

Well, thanks to one of my favorite bands dropping out of a concert last night, I went and saw a little film called Superbad instead. Here's my review.

Superbad

One can be forgiven for assuming from its promotional materials that Superbad is set in the past. The main characters wear clothes they don't realize are retro, know all the words to The Guess Who's "These Eyes", and pursue Goldschläger as if it were, well, gold. Imagine The Wonder Years if it were an HBO production, and you'll have a pretty good picture of this movie.

Of course, given that co-writers Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg chose to name their two main characters after themselves, it makes sense that they occasionally feel transplanted from another decade, as it's assumed the two roles are somewhat autobiographical...though hopefully not too much.

The entire movie involves the pursuit of sex, though for most of its 114-minute runtime, the characters are pursuing alcohol as a means to that end. Evan, played by the effortlessly endearing Michael Cera (of Fox's now-defunct gem Arrested Development), isn't as gung-ho about the idea as his best friend Seth, played by Jonah Hill. Hill rambles like Ben Stiller (with a pinch of the late Chris Farley), and it's easy to imagine this becoming his breakthrough role.

Hill gets most of the good lines, but Cera gets plenty of mileage out of his ability to make any situation feel awkward. Both of them, however, are often upstaged by Christopher Mintz-Plasse as Fogell. Mintz-Plasse plays the role of a high school dork so well that you can't help but wonder if the production was partially autobiographical for him, too. At one point, Seth threatens to "cut his face off" so he can use his fake ID to buy booze, and Fogell confidently declares that "you don't have the technology, or the steadiness of hand."

Of course, alcohol is an oft-used jumping off point for general insanity in these sorts of films, but it never feels cliche here. As short-sighted and single-minded as their plans are, they still have a demented logic to them. And believe it or not, there's a message or two here about the sacrifices (and benefits) of growing up to go with the obligatory moral of just being yourself.

It should be noted that this is a very, very vulgar film. I won't go into detail, because in many instances the shock is half the laugh, but it earns its R-rating and deals with very mature themes, though it never takes itself too seriously.

Superbad was co-produced by Judd Apatow, who wrote and directed Knocked Up and The 40-Year-Old Virgin. And though he didn't write this film, its dialogue and characters have the same ring of truth found in his screenplays. One wonders if this group of sudden movie stars really writes anything; maybe they just transcribe the conversations they're already having.

I assume most of you will give it a higher rating. I should note that I actually enjoyed it very, very much. I stopped just short of giving it a 4 out of 5 rating, however, because I thought of it more as a pleasant diversion than a genuinely great comedy. I can't imagine wanting to see it again, for example. But, at the same time, I'd recommend it to almost everyone I know.

So, perhaps my thoughts are a bit convoluted, but I felt the rating warranted a bit of an explanation, given how positive the review itself sounds.

Lost in never never land
I agree in some ways that it isn't one of those movies that afterwards you a tired from laughing so hard, or it might be that there isn't one extremely great joke, but it is a film that I feel is one that I would personally want to see again.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

Ironically enough, I feel the exact opposite way about it. I laughed quite hard a few times, and chuckled dozens of times, but feel a lot of the comedy was based partially on shock.

MattJohn mentioned the call on the radio in the bar as one of the better lines, and I'd have to agree there. Only a portion of the audience I was with (which almost filled the theater...on a Monday night!) seemed to really appreciate it, but I thought it was hysterical.

"Oh, God, there's so much blood!"

It is a very rare occasion for me to want to go back to the theater and see a movie a 2nd time, but i will admit that this was the case for Superbad.

The acting was superb, in as much as the cast seemed to work together flawlessly. The humor was a bit vulgar at times, but not enough to throw me off of the movie. I feel much of the vulgarity was justified, as opposed to similar instances in the American Pie movies.

In the end, I think what i appreciated most was the ending. Rogen and Goldberg didn't cop out and hand in a sappy, predictable ending. Instead, they used the ending to define the entire movie as a hilarious tale of a few misfit teenagers who are so terrified to face the upcoming 'real world' on their own.

Perhaps it wont be the best movie of the year, or the funniest, but I will say that Superbad was true to itself in almost every way, which is enough to earn a recommendation from me.

They are two crazy boys.
Hahaha.
It reminds me of my high school days, which are just a few years removed from me.

Ironically enough, I feel the exact opposite way about it. I laughed quite hard a few times, and chuckled dozens of times, but feel a lot of the comedy was based partially on shock.

MattJohn mentioned the call on the radio in the bar as one of the better lines, and I'd have to agree there. Only a portion of the audience I was with (which almost filled the theater...on a Monday night!) seemed to really appreciate it, but I thought it was hysterical.

"Oh, God, there's so much blood!"
hahaha I agree. That line was absolutely hilarious. I did like the film more than you, Yod, but that's a solid review.

See the trailer here:

I havent seen SuperBad, but I guess i am not going to go see it either...

But thanks for the review

I havent seen SuperBad, but I guess i am not going to go see it either...

But thanks for the review

Why won't you watch it? I am sure you will really laugh with this one.

I liked Superbad. My favorite character in the whole film was McLovin. He was hysterical, especially with the cops.
I suppose one of the funniest sequences in that movie was in the liquor store where he was fantasizing about perfect possibilities for his scheme to work out.

Thanks for the review, Yoda. The trailer's hilarious, I've been looking forward to this one for a while. Can't wait to see it.

I suppose one of the funniest sequences in that movie was in the liquor store where he was fantasizing about perfect possibilities for his scheme to work out.
I remember loving that part.

"You killed her!"

Oh man Superbad is definitely one of my favorite films now. I nearly burst some blood vessels I was laughing so hard.

To me it really painted the perfect picture of high school for guys like me. I am very much like Michael Cera's character, but unfortunately none of my friends had quite enough Jonah Hill in them to push us to the extremes these two friends hit.

I loved Superbad and would highly recommend it to anyone who even chuckles at a film like American Pie.

5/5 for me

They are two crazy boys.
Hahaha.
It reminds me of my high school days, which are just a few years removed from me.
Yeah it's remind some high school memory that has been forgotten...I like it...

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
i havent seen that movie yet