Connor Macgregor Reviews...Short Films

→ in
Tools    

So after much teasing in my head, and seeing enough films to spur me on, I have decided to start a new thread of reviews after loitering the Television thread with too many to count. This time, I have opted for shorter watches, therefore deciding to go for Short Films.

These can vary in length, from a few minutes to a full possible punishing hour. But I'm looking forward to the different styles, stories and ideas placed on display from all kinds of filmmakers with ideas to express and tell to the world.

Much like my venture into cinema and television, this will be a journey I cannot wait to begin.

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Honeymoon

INTRO: Time to do some shorts. And I can safely say that each one was broadcast on national television or a streaming service in some capacity. This is one of them.

SUMMARY: A newly married couple, en route to their honeymoon, stop at a service station in the middle of the night. When Zoran disappears to make a phone call and fails to return, Dawn begins to wonder just how well she knows her new husband.

THOUGHTS: Review wise, this is neither a miniseries or technically a TV Movie. It’s a short film that just happened to be broadcast on Channel 4. But I figured, sod it! It’s a one off, and it fits the criteria if I bend it slightly.

The short starts Emilia Fox, who is known for things like Silent Witness. Here, she plays a bride, and with that comes a wedding dress to don, which she does with effortless beauty. Throughout the short, the plot allows you to always be guessing and always be wondering about what is to happen next. Very quickly you feel a sense of deep uncomfort as the two main characters end up in a service station which is awkward for two newlyweds to be at.

From there, the tension slowly begins to heighten as the groom mysteriously vanishes, leaving a confused bride wondering what on earth has just happened. Emilia Fox’s character becomes much more on edge as the narrative unfolds, and with the surrounding background characters circling round her in a way, it only adds to an evolving and building tension. It culminates somewhat in a very dream-like scene, in which Emilia Fox has a moment that causes her to have some sort of out of body/dream-like experience. It’s small but significant none the less.

The downside for me was the ending in a way. It’s very anticlimactic, and one which left a real sense of wanting more from me. I was unsure why the short ended on the note that it did, and I didn’t really know what to take away with it. Sure, the final shot is somewhat mysterious but then also quite annoying, as I as a viewer wanted some form of resolution, and was just left with more questions. I wanted to have a better idea of what the groom was doing? Why he disappeared? What were the secrets he was hiding?

The wedding dress is lovely and a unique classic design with long sleeves and a large veil over her hair. It’s very bold and truly stands out good and bad within the service station. Emilia Fox truly does look gorgeous in it.

RATING: 59% - B-

Looking forward to this thread!