Directors You Wish You Knew More About?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
John Cassavetes

He's not my favorite director, not my second favorite, but he was such an interesting man. There are a lot of fine documentaries about him, a few interviews as well. I read "Cassavetes on Cassavetes" which is quite the book, consisting of interviews between John and the great film critic, Ray Carney, who also writes quite a lot about John's early years, personal life and problems with alcoholism, insomnia, and a few early problems with the likes of Stanley Kramer, until he went independent, but still having to promise the milk man a point because he didn't have enough money to finance his movies, and having to resort to using his own home to film, as well as his relatives, his wife's relatives, and his friends and their relatives.

"A Constant Forge" is my favorite documentary, but it's not on YouTube, but this one is also good. Also, a lot of his movies are on YouTube in full, for free.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I wish Vatroslav Mimica was better-documented. If all I've read about him is true, then he must've had one hell of an interesting life.

What have you read? (any specific books, articles?)

The trick is not minding
I’m just discovering Youssef Chahine, Tsui Hark and Hou Hsiao-hsien films and will be watching their films the next few months.
Netflix has about 12 Chahine films which makes that easier. Already watched Cairo Station, which I enjoyed.
I’m discovering more and more directors lately that aren’t spoken of as often as others.

Di je Karlo?
What have you read? (any specific books, articles?)
I know what I know from articles, he's not famous enough to have books written about him. We really haven't done enough to promote his legacy and personality, and it's a damn shame